Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

S&W 357 Pricing help

814 views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  Blake 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I hope this isn't out of line or anything, but I just wanted to get some input on pricing for a used S&W revolver. I have had my 65-4 4" posted on several websites asking $400, with a bunch of ammo at a package price of $500.

I have had zero interest and am wondering if I'm way off on asking price or something. I took the gun in trade about a year ago so I don't have a great idea of what the value is on one of these.

Again, I hope I haven't stepped out of bounds by talking about something I'm selling outside of the classifieds section but I'm just baffled that I haven't gotten one call or PM about this gun in 2 weeks.

Thanks!!

#2 ·
My friend, things are really tough around everywhere money wise. It saddens me to see so many ppl selling their guns to, I assume, make ends meet. Your asking price on the rev. is not bad, I think is the bad economy and the inability of ppl to spend money as freely as before.

#3 ·
I have the same gun and have tried to sell it multiple times in the $400-$450 range with zero interest.

I see them used in shops for $475-$550. Figured $400'ish was very fair, but no dice. I'm just hanging onto mine for now.

#4 ·
I have looked at it several times.
I have quite a few Smith revolvers, and since you asked, I will tell you that a 4 inch -4 at $400 is a bit overpriced.
3 inch??? $400 would be closer, but still it would be a bit difficult to sell.
no dash?? Again, $400 would still be high, but closer in range to what someone would be willing to pay a premium for.

There isn't a THING wrong with a 65-4 as a defensive, plinking, carry, truck, dresser drawer gun. I like a Model 65 with it's fixed sights, as opposed to the 66 with it's adjustable sights. Fighting revolvers don't need adjustable sights IMO. The problem is that internet gun boards and advertising runs to praise of the self loading bottom feeder, and there is two generations of shooters now who have NO revolver experience whatsoever.
However, at the $400 price point you can pick up a used PD turn in Glock 22 with 3 mags, take it to Smyrna and have them rebuilt it for free, and have a firearm that is MUCH more accepted in general society today.

Not trying to be a jerk, but as one of the few revolver trained persons who stalk this board, and the probable owner of more Smith revolvers than any other regular poster on this site, I feel I do speak the truth.

#5 ·
JeF4y said:
I have the same gun and have tried to sell it multiple times in the $400-$450 range with zero interest.

I see them used in shops for $475-$550. Figured $400'ish was very fair, but no dice. I'm just hanging onto mine for now.
I submit that most gunshops have NO idea how to price these firearms....

#6 ·
Not having the "infamous" internal lock, like some ppl like to call it is a good selling point. You might want to shoot for a more narrower clientèle, like Sheriff said, that has some experience with revolvers.

#7 ·
Thanks for the input Sheriff. What is a going rate for a pre-lock 4"? $350?

I had even wondered if the fact that I have pictures with magnas on was killing it. The cool looking Hogues may bring more eyes... I don't know.

Jeez. I hate that things are so crappy right now, but I guess one of the biggest factors is Christmas coming up. I don't have kids so I have zero idea of how stressful that must be right now... especially with kids these days wanting cell phones, Xboxes and all that.

#8 ·
$350 if you want to wait a bit longer before you sell it.
I would post it on the Smith and Wesson board at $350 plus shipping, the package at $400 if you need to move it.
The magna's don't really hurt it to the Smith fanciers, whoever buys it will put their own stocks on it anyway...I know I always do....
This time of year you might have to drop your price a bit....
If you still have it in January PM me and we will talk......I will be living in the woods eating pine bark if I get caught buying another gun right now

#10 ·
+1 on the pine bark.

I've looked at it a few times myself. I'd love to have a K-frame to OC, but I think it's a hard time of year for everyone. And like others have said, the price isn't quite there enough for me to irritate the Mrs with another purchase. Good luck with the sale.

Also, I'm more included to buy it when pictured with the magnas. Just my 2 cents.

#11 ·
There are two kinds of Smith and Wesson revolvers.....shooters, and collectors.
Collectors want something unusual, and pristine, or limited production. (it takes a LOONNNNG time, a good eye, and a LOT of research to collect Smith revolvers) not to mention a healthy bank account. Collectors have letters, a police department history (Detroit PD guns have their own collector following for instance) unopened plastic bags full of tools, warranty cards, instruction manuals, etc
Shooters want shooters. No box, mid range or high round count, finish flaws, scratches and dings. They are reliable tools. They last generations, but they are the working girls of the Smith world.
Yours is a shooter. Nothing wrong with that, all of mine are shooters as well......but the price difference is significant.

#12 ·
Heck, it may just be better to stick it in the glove box and forget about selling it for now. Thanks for the help though guys - gives me a better understanding of the gun and market.

While we're talking about values Sheriff, what would you say a model 36 flat latch, all original, 1961 ship date, with 50 years of carry wear on the bluing is worth?

#13 ·
Blake said:
Heck, it may just be better to stick it in the glove box and forget about selling it for now. Thanks for the help though guys - gives me a better understanding of the gun and market.

While we're talking about values Sheriff, what would you say a model 36 flat latch, all original, 1961 ship date, with 50 years of carry wear on the bluing is worth?
I need to see it. Does it have a box?? what % of original finish is left??
a shooter that old, it would need to be checked for push off, endshake and carryup at least....but I am interested...

#14 ·
Unfortunately I am only talking values right now. This gun is one of the last that I could let go I believe.

It's definitely a shooter/carrier. I have pocket carried it a bunch, as well as IWB and OWB in leather. It's not really pretty, but is a very tight gun and shoots great. No box or anything, it's strictly a constant companion with a lot of honor wear.

What is a good market value for these old things?

#20 ·
I have seen it and it looks nice. I have a model 13-1 4" k frame that is a joy to shoot. Remember to be patient. Stores that price things may hold them for months and then negotiate. I had a model 19-5 with a 2 1/2 barrel a few months ago that I paid $425.00 and was sure that I could make a profit on. I think when all was said and done I sold it for almost what I had in it. I am now kicking myself. I should have held on to it.

#21 ·
Yeah the idea for selling this gun was to make some extra money to help out with some bills, without getting into savings. I think at this point it makes more sense to just dip into the savings a little rather than take a hit on a gun just to have the cash.

We'll see how things work out and I may post it back up after January, but I just stuck it back in it's little cubby in the safe for now.

Now, if I can start paying bills with bricks of .22lr then I'll be in business. :lol:

Is it weird to do a full gun/ammo inventory and find that one has very nearly as much money in ammo as in firearms? :oops:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.