S.Carolina bill to allow CC in schools!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bulldawg182, May 17, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

This from the AJC:

S.C. Considers Allowing Guns on Campuses
    By SEANNA ADCOX
    Associated Press Writer

COLUMBIA, S.C. — To prevent school shootings, some South Carolina legislators want more guns on campuses.

A House subcommittee approved a measure Wednesday that would allow concealed weapon permit holders to carry guns onto public school campuses, from elementary schools to universities. Supporters say having trained and armed gun owners in schools could prevent massacres like the April 16 shootings at Virginia Tech, where one armed student killed 32 people.

Only Utah currently has a law allowing concealed weapons on campuses.

"We're not talking about kids. We're talking about responsible adults," said Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan, who sponsored the bill.

Opponents fear more guns will mean more accidental shootings, and questioned if colleges were an appropriate environment for guns.

"I'm concerned about more guns around younger people combined with emotions and sometimes alcohol," said Rep. Doug Jennings, a Democrat. "I don't think it's a proper reaction to the Virginia Tech tragedy."

The bill heads to the House Judiciary Committee, though it is not expected to pass the Legislature before its scheduled adjournment for the year next month. Gov. Mark Sanford, a Republican, said he hadn't yet thought about the bill.

Nationwide, 37 states ban weapons at schools. Of those, 16 explicitly prohibit weapons on college campuses, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

College police chiefs across South Carolina said allowing guns on campuses would make it difficult to pinpoint a criminal. "Today, if we respond, we know the person with the weapon is the bad guy," said Ernest Ellis, the law enforcement director at the University of South Carolina.

To obtain a concealed weapon permit in South Carolina, a resident must be at least 21, undergo at least eight hours of handgun training, and pass criminal and mental background checks.

2. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

WTF, guns around younger people ok it's for the kids. And sometimes alcohol, how many here go to their kids school drunk? I don't.

OK I forgot about college and RAMM :(

3. Taurus

Taurus New Member

That's awsome news...Looks like some folks are actually gaining commen sense, which isn't so commen at all... :D Hopefully other states will listen up and wake up!

When was the last time a school shooting took place in Moab??? I don't think there's been one, so there must be something to this theory that works!

4. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

What i think the problem is, it is the media is writing the articles....there needs to be something written by someone who actually understands whats going on here....they need to realize that most people are idiots and don't know what the hell is going on.

it will allow Firearms License holders to pick their child up, teachers to carry, and STUDENTS who are over 21 and pass all requirements.....and i honestly doubt that the students are legal to carry are the ones that are out raising hell and fighting......i speak from experience im 21 and will have my Bachelors Degree completed in 6 weeks Whoo Hooo!!!

5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

Thats not what Sarah Brady would have you believe.

6. Taurus

Taurus New Member

:puke: on Sarah Brady and the Brady bunch.....

Happy to see these folks actually make a positive move instead of just yappin about!

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://web.charleston.net/news/2007/may ... ic_debate/

8. Malum Prohibitum

:roll:

9. Malum Prohibitum

Oh, let us bow down at your feet, of great LEO :bowdown:

10. Malum Prohibitum

11. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Isn't this always the words of the Anti's....im ready for some of them to shut and show me the facts.....ohh wait they cant cause their are none to suppport their claims.

12. Foul

Foul New Member

I guess by using the same logic allowing LEOs to carry weapons will lead to more violence! Here is the answer! Disarm LEOs!!!

God, I love logic! :D

13. Taurus

Taurus New Member

You only have to worry if you are a 91 year old female in Atlanta...Other than that, you are safe around well armed LEO's.... LOL...

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

A step in the right direction.

15. Dan4010

Dan4010 New Member

Support the Bill

I already emailed the Representative and expressed my support for his bill even though I do not live in SC. I encourage all of you to do the same.

16. kkennett

kkennett New Member

While this bill is indeed a fine idea, I'd hate to see a SC repeat of the recent 89/43 fiasco here. SC is one Senate vote away from passing reciprocity with all other states, which should include most of us here in GA! It'd be better to get that passed than call attention to the debate and end up stalling things out.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I though there were more than this? It is legal in Alabama to carry in ALL schools. I think there are a few more( I think in some may issue states at least) that allow carry on K-12.

18. Malum Prohibitum

19. notamasshole

notamasshole New Member

RI should be all green even state parks. I know the DEM has a rule prohibiting carry of a weapon in a state park but I do not believe it legal as our legislature has pre-empted all things related to guns.

If you like I can provide all references to state law that show this.