S.834 - A bill to give the liberal CDC money to study "gun violence"

Discussion in 'National Laws, Bills and Politics' started by UtiPossidetis, Apr 7, 2017.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

A group of 30 Senate and House Dems debuted a proposal on Tuesday to fund research at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on firearms safety and gun violence prevention.
    Backed by U.S. Sen. Edward Markey D-Mass., and U.S. Rep. Carolyn Maloney, D-NY, along with a host of other Democrat and Independent lawmakers, the bill, S.834, would provide $10 million per year to CDC for a term of at least six years beginning in 2018.
    “Gun violence is ending lives and shattering families in Massachusetts and across our country,†said Markey. “Now more than ever we must study the causes of gun violence and what can be done to prevent it. No one should be afraid of more non-partisan, scientific research into this vital issue – not Republicans, not the NRA and not President Trump.â€
    http://www.guns.com/2017/04/06/demo...or-cdc-to-study-gun-violence-as-health-crisis

2. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Well, using words like "epidemic" and "disease" lets folks at the CDC play doctor on society's problems without being qualified to do so. Perhaps a lawsuit could be in order for malpractice, or at least practicing a specialty without a license?

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

The folks that I knew at the CDC back in my days of academia were among the most vocal progressives I had to deal with - AND I WAS IN ACADEMIA. The CDC is the progressive democrats reliable friend - it ALWAYS tells them what they intended for them to say.

4. tbill

tbill Member

I can save them a bunch of money. Guns being inanimate objects aren't and can't be violent. Human beings, who are animated and possess free will, are and always have been violent. It's our nature to fight for dominance. Now let's put the CDC back to work fighting disease, like they were created to do.

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

All that makes too much sense. Besides, they love spending our money too much on stupidity to abandon that.

So many bureaucrats and pencil pushers there from what I've read in the news. And to think I used to have the naivete to believe the place was filled with scientists looking for cures to biological diseases.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

All you have to do is read the studies they have already done. Kellerman, right here in Atlanta, is the worst offender.

Oh, let's see. Ok. Seattle and Vancouver. These cities are close geographically and demographically similar (they're not!). Vancouver, being in Canada, has gun control. Seattle, being the wild west, does not. Hmmmm . . . murder rate is slightly higher in Seattle, therefore, gun control works!

Um, not so fast, Dr. Kellerman. Did you norm those results for race?

What? Why? Vancouver and Seattle are both Pacific Northwest. They are demographically similar, so . . .

But Seattle's population is 16% black.

Racist!

What?

They are demographically the same . . .

No, Vancouver is less than 1% black and has a large asian population . . .

Well, I just compared the cities, because Vancouver has gun control, and a lower murder rate, so . . .

Dr. Kellerman, if we just compare, say, whites, the murder rate is lower during your study years in Seattle than Vancouver. Doesn't that tend to show the opposite, that gun control is correlated with an increase in the murder rate?

Silence.

I once had a college professor presenting the higher overall murder rates in southern states as compared to the rest of the nation, and he of course taught the conclusion that it was because of higher gun ownership in the south. My raised hand was as unwelcome as always, as was my question about the higher percentage of the population in the south that was black and whether this trend did not show in every location, even in cities in the north, with a larger black population, and whether rates normed for race tended to be more even. Specific examples of states with high gun ownership and almost entirely white populations were not to be further discussed in that classroom.

Kellerman's already published studies show a man with an ax to grind. This is not a scientist looking to discover where the evidence leads. This is politicized junk science at its worst. Confirmation bias disguised as "Research."

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Causes of gun violence: thugs, drugs and gangstas. Throw in whatever racial demographic you desire, black, brown, white, yellow. Doesn't matter. Problem identified. Now go do something useful for the country and fix the problem. Which you and your kind won't because that might put you out of the "people control" business. :bat:

8. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

That indicates cities with a larger percentage black population have more gun violence than cities with a lower percentage black population.

That indicates that the black population is more violent in general than the white population.

That's either inaccurate or racist or based on income or something else or just bad science because its not guns are bad. But, because of those possible reasons we have to ban guns and have the govt support everyone after making it a crime to be a racist.

Ask any modern progressive. They know better than we do.

That's why your professor was a professor. And we need to give more money to professors to study it more.

Nemo

9. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...n-court-rules-favor-seattles-gun-violence-tax

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is this in the correct thread?

11. Alabama Jones

Alabama Jones Señor Member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  12. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

That's exactly what happened to no one's surprise except the City of Seattle.

https://www.ammoland.com/2017/08/court-forces-seattle-reveal-major-gun-tax-shortfall/#axzz4qIp3uqd3

13. Taurus92

I looked for a reference on the bill number, but that no longer was of interest to the writer. I'm pretty sure it's the same tax.

14. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

The CDC isn't prohibited from studying gun violence. They're prohibited from spending money on politicizing the "results"

15. Taurus92

Which basically means they killed it. Any non-politicized study would undermine their goal.