Run'N'Gun

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by Sine Nomen, Oct 30, 2007.

1. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Any of you typically run (i.e. for exercise, not when chasing or being chased,) with your sidearm, and how do you carry it?

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Yep

small gun (mousegun, back up gun) in pocket holster, in pocket, most of the time.

If pants or shorts don't have pockets, or if the pockets aren't deep enough to be secure, or if I want to pack a bigger gun (compact 9mm that holds 11 rounds), then I use a fanny pack.

The benefit of carrying a gun, cellphone, car keys, etc. when you run for exercise is that when you go to a local 5K or 10K race and leave all the stuff behind, carrying nothing but your one car key, you feel a lot lighter and can run like the wind!

3. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Bike (bicycle)... Glock 23 in a quick-rip fanny pack w/ 2 spare mags.

Most cyclists I've spoken with think I'm nuts... not necessarily for carrying the pistol but for adding 2 lbs to my total mass.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I had a Captain once that was a running nut. Ran marithons all the dang time, ran every day before and after work, was always trying to get someone to run with him. On the pistol range though he barely qualified each time out, regardless of my efforts to help him. One day when he was trying to shame me into going running with him "to inspire the troops" I finally lost it and said to him. "Sir... If you can shoot, you aint gotta run!" Good thing for me he had a sense of humor!

5. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

When I used to run, which wasnt much I just used a fanny pack.

When biking, which I do alot of, I use a sling bag. Keeps the pouch along my chest and the strap goes over one shoulder and around the back under the other arm. Keys, wallet, phone are in there as well. But thats a mountain bike so I am not usually worried about drag on a dirt path!

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have a nylon pouch the fits under the seat of my mtn bike. It's just big enough to hold my house or car key, wallet, and Taurus Mill Pro. :righton:

7. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

What's this running thing you speak of? The only walking I do is to class, and I can't carry there :(

8. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Thought of that, but it gets difficult to do that while, adjusting my iPod, using a flashlight, or reigning in Dog. Not to mention the neighbors would freak out and my gun would get scratched/dirtied up when I bust my butt running through the woods after dark in search of the next beer stop...

Thus far it's just been a 5.11 holster shirt for when it's cold enough and I'm not carrying a CamelBak and a jerry rigged holster on a CamelBak waist pack for when I'm carrying a small amount of drink and cargo.
    The holster shirt is ok, but with a few drawbacks: I have to wear a shirt over it or else the lumps look ridiculous, it's very hot in the summer months, and I can't wear a waist or back pack and still be able to get to anything in the shirt. My problem with the waist pack is that the holster is very conspicuous and awkward to attach and remove, and carrying in the cargo compartment is WAY to slow to access to be of any real use. When I consider speed of draw the question is "How long would I be willing to let that dog chew me up before I could convince him that lead is a nasty dinner?"

9. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

10. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I use a Camelbak Goblin fanny pack. It has pockets, water bladder, and a built in adjustable holster.

11. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

How is speed of access on that?

12. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Who you hash with mostly? What's your name? :)

13. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

The holster compartment is separate from the others and closest to the body. The opening closes with Velcro and there are two large web grab handles on either side to rip it open with.

That said, it’s not as fast as a belt holster, but still quicker than a non-gun-specific fanny pack or running back home to get the gun.

14. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

I hash at random around Atlanta. They call me Lube Job.

15. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

:rotfl:

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Harrier Here

Hey, I've done a few hash runs. Love 'em. Let me know when is coming up in the northern Atlanta area, if you know of one. I've been named, but I can't say the name without an explanation, otherwise people will get the wrong idea. :lol:

17. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Re: Harrier Here

Slow Lazy Urban Thursday (SLUT) runs this Thursday. Always a good time and usually good food. Most of the good local HHH information can be found at these locations:
    http://atlantahash.com/
    http://atlantahash.com/mbbs2/forums/for ... asp?fid=33
    http://onin.com/hhh/#georgia_hashes

They're all like that, I thinks it's kind of the point.

18. Ned

Ned New Member

I have thought about this too and haven't found a good solution yet since I like to wear mesh shorts when I run. However I am considering trying a drop leg holster b/c it seems like it would hold it tightly while I run.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Since I have a serpa balckhawk cqc I was gunna just get the drop leg extension platform for my G23

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.code3tactical.com/index.asp? ... odID=15030

19. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

This is an interesting problem, and one I have been thinking about. I run 3 miles 2-3 times a week, usually in the early morning (dark) hours.

I run relatively fast (about a seven minute mile pace), so I need something secure that will not bang around as I run. I thought about a belly band, but the constriction to the torso would probably not be good for breathing during heavy exercise.

I have a Smartcarry holster (very similar to "Thunderwear") and I might give that a try. It should be secure enough, especially in colder weather when I wear skin-tight Underarmor leggings.

The problem then becomes which gun to wear. I don't think there's really a good way to confortably and securely carry something as large as my G19, though I may experiment with a nylon IWB holster tucked down in my shorts/pants and secured with the drawstring + lycra. I carried my fiance's Walther P99 compact that way once and it seemed okay.

I might try the Smartcarry with my lightweight .38 Special, but even that might be too heavy in that position. My smallest carry gun is my Beretta 21A, but it's in .22LR and won't be much good on anything except dogs or undetermined criminals...plus I don't like relying on a straight blowback rimfire gun.

I'm actually thinking about getting a pair of titanium .38s (my fiance runs too), or the Kel-Tec P-3ATs in .380ACP. Neither is great power-wise, but much better than being unarmed.

Suggestions?