Ruger Sr9-C

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by gunsmoker, Dec 30, 2016.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I rented a Ruger SR9c compact 9mm today at the range.
    Compared it to a rented S&W Shield.
    Fired both of them about 25 rounds each at close range, rapid fire, 1 and 2 handed. Then finished with a slow fire 25 yard ten shot group, standing position, unsupported.

The Ruger felt as good in my hand as the Shield, though the S&W was a single-stack magazine.

The Ruger had a better trigger. Lighter weight and more consistent. Felt smoother.

Both were easy to shoot. They each had good sights. Both are good choices for me, given my hand and finger size. But I prefer the Ruger due to the trigger.

2. gunsmoker

Pictures today.

Attached Files:

3. gunsmoker

Pic of Ruger sr9-c.

Attached Files:

4. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Gotta have a CC weapon that is reliable and you are comfortable with shooting that's for sure. I tried those back when I was looking for a CC 9 and several others. Have you tried a PPS M2? I have a M1 with the paddle and love it. Most folks say the ergos on the M2 are better and most prefer the US style button release for the magazines. Reliability testing shows it to be at the top of the heap for feeding any ammo and accuracy out of the box too.

5. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

:D

https://youtu.be/-_IlNbsILLE

My experience was similar with SR9. I actually did not like it when just holding it "dry" at shows and stores, but I liked shooting it better than others.

But doesn't the Shield compare to LC9s? Have you tried that?

6. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

Both are good carry guns. Just curious, have you considered the Smith and Wesson M&P9C? It should be a good candidate, and it compares well with the SR9C.

7. gunsmoker

I've never tried the Ruger LC9. I'd like to, one day, although I have reservations about such a small and light gun with a rather heavy double-action-only trigger.

Nor have I tried the S&W M&P 9 compact, although I did seriously consider buying the full-sized M&P Pro as a target / range / action pistol match gun a year ago (I ended up with a Springfield XD9- 5" for that role).

I'm not really shopping for a new carry gun for myself. I just like to know what's out there and what it feels like to have actual trigger-time on different models, so that I can make recommendations to others.

For example, I also rented and shot the SCCY, which I would rate as "acceptable" but nothing really appealing to me. Too long of a reach to the trigger (It's got a grip frame that's too big, in proportion to the rest of the gun and the caliber it uses), too heavy of a trigger pull (especially stacked and uneven-- it's a lot harder to get started than it is to break the shot with that last few thousandths of sear movement), and where the trigger guard met the frame just pressed against my fingers the wrong way.

8. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

My son has an LC9 I can borrow at some point if you would like to give one a try. I have shot it and it's not as bad actually shooting it as it is dry firing.

9. chrisj95

chrisj95 New Member

I do have to agree with you on the trigger, however I do not own a ruger but I do own the shield 9
    It shoots and carrys very nice!

:I do plan to upgrade the trigger one of these days tho:

10. Groundhound

Groundhound Active Member

There is a significant difference in the trigger of the LC9 and the LC9s.

11. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

The LC9s is striker fire, like the Shield. And there is a Pro model without manual safety.

12. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

I agree. It really isn't bad shooting. It's not so hard a long pull that it pulls your aim off. I shoot surprisingly well with it.

With that trigger, it'll only go off if you mean it. I like to think it combines the advantage of a revolver with the convenience of a semi-automatic.

13. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

You can shoot my Keltec PF9, the gun the LC9 was cloned from, anytime you want.

14. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

The LC9 trigger reset was a bridge too far for me.