Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not usually post stuff that I buy, but I thought I would on this one.

Picked up a Ruger SR1911 in 10mm today up in Gainesville. I was actually stunned that they had one in their display case. My SR1911 in 45ACP now has a big brother. :)

I paid what I thought was a really good price for it.

I really think that I have an addiction going on here.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The place I bought it from told me that they got this one about 2 or 3 days after it was introduced and did not know when they would get another one in due to demand (I guess).

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I hope you post back with a review when you get a chance to shoot it. I've been looking at this one lately. I like the series 70 design, the bomar style rear sight, and the plain non-dot front blade.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,415 Posts
I'm not getting the no-dot. Don't you want at least the center dot?

I've heard some of the competition IDPA stuff is concluding that one dot is better than three, but nothing on black sights?

I'd be really tempted to paint the blade some color.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
If you decide you want a dot, I have used paper "white out" that worked well. Now for white or bright orange or green dots, nail polish goes on easy and comes off easy. My experience tells me I prefer white and use that nail polish.

You can be real careful and get a real tiny dot to a rather large one as you choose. On mine, with rear site I just box the dot and I am on target.

Nemo

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I'm considering this gun as well....

Reactions: Archangel

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Range Report finally

So no range report yet?:sad:
Ok, so I have made it to the range about 3 times now. I am very impressed with the gun overall. I was surprised that the recoil was not much if any more than my SR1911 in 45ACP. A petite friend who went one time, fired it once and put it back down saying that she would never shoot that one again. :)

The fit and finish is excellent. I am keeping it nice and "wet" with oil on the advice of a very wise gunsmith I know. :) Once I had given up on how to disassemble it, I decided to read the separate instructions included on how to remove the slide from the frame. This one has a bull barrel and not the bushing on end of the barrel like most 1911's and my SR1911 in 45ACP. It has an 18lb recoil spring and a full length stainless steel guide rod.

As far as ammo, it is really not that expensive when compared to 45ACP. I can buy 50 rds of target ammo from Ga Arms for $22 and I can order online for anywhere from $17 per 50rds into the $20's for 50 rds. The target stuff is 180 grain FMJ and it has not had any problem at all with either the Ga Arms ammo or Sig 180 grain FMJ's. I have run a couple of boxes of the Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain JHP's and it fed them fine with no problems at all.

It is apparently quite loud, however, since after we were done and checking out, the lady helping us made the comment "so that was you making all the noise in there". What can I say, it ain't a 22. :)

I was not sure about having a 45ACP and a 10mm 1911, because the "want" factor vastly outweighed the "need" factor on this one. But, I am pleased with the gun overall and glad that I bought it.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,348 Posts
I was not sure about having a 45ACP and a 10mm 1911, because the "want" factor vastly outweighed the "need" factor on this one.
You realize consideration of any type of a need factor has been removed from discussion, consideration, or even mentioning in a gun supporting community when discussing gaining possession or obtaining any specific one or number of firearms of any type or conversation or posting.

It is permissible to say that I have greater use for X than Y or I want or would like to obtain A before B. But to say I n**d M more than N is banned.

Discussion or in many cases, mere mentioning it can result in ostracism, shaming, torturing, and banishment. Say it no more. It is prohibited.

Nemo

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You realize consideration of any type of a need factor has been removed from discussion, consideration, or even mentioning in a gun supporting community when discussing gaining possession or obtaining any specific one or number of firearms of any type or conversation or posting.

It is permissible to say that I have greater use for X than Y or I want or would like to obtain A before B. But to say I n**d M more than N is banned.

Discussion or in many cases, mere mentioning it can result in ostracism, shaming, torturing, and banishment. Say it no more. It is prohibited.

Nemo
I had to convince my better half that the "W" factor was more relevant than the "N" factor in this case. Otherwise, it might still be sitting in the gun case at the store where I bought it.:)

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
I was surprised that the recoil was not much if any more than my SR1911 in 45ACP.
I can buy 50 rds of target ammo from Ga Arms for $22 and I can order online for anywhere from $17 per 50rds into the $20's for 50 rds. The target stuff is 180 grain FMJ and it has not had any problem at all with either the Ga Arms ammo or Sig 180 grain FMJ's. I have run a couple of boxes of the Hornady Critical Duty 175 grain JHP's and it fed them fine with no problems at all.
None of those rounds are going to cause a lot of recoil. You need to step it up a notch if you want some recoil.

https://underwoodammo.com/product-category/handgun-ammo/10mm-auto/

or​

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=24

or​

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=160

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I bought one. It isn't here yet. I thought about it ever since they came out. I like the simple take down on the delta elite, but like the ramped barrel, series 70 design, and adj sights on the ruger and went with it. I'm about to make some ammo. Got the dies, brass, 180xtp's (will try others), and some aa7 &9

·
Administrator
7,145 Posts

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I shot it 70 times today. I didn't have any problems. I shot 180 XTPs with accurate no.7&9 from mid to max. I like the sights. It seems to be about as accurate as any factory 45 I've tried. I forgot my oil and used the dip stick in my motorcycle to lube it. So for cheap gun oil, I can recommend rotella:). It is nice to take it apart and not finding the sludge that bullseye gives in my 45s

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.