Ruger P95

Discussion in 'Women with Firearms' started by higabyte, Oct 7, 2010.

1. higabyte

higabyte New Member

Just bought a Ruger P95 for my wife. She's not a fan of guns but I want her to be able to defend herself on those nights/weeks I'm out of town for work, so I'm trying to get her more actively involved.

This was more of an impulse buy so I'm hoping I made a decent choice.

One thing I did notice instantly upon arriving home to play with it is it's not near as easy to break down compared to my XD.

I plan on taking her out shooting for a little bit Saturday to get her familiar with it.

Guess we'll see how it goes. Lol

2. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I have had a P95DC since Christmas 1996. I have fired thousands (~10,000) of rounds without any problem and consider it very easy to take down.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Did you let your wife handle this thick heavy gun with a long trigger pull before you bought it for her?
    I'd say the size of the grip and the reach to the trigger (in double action mode) will be a challenge for most women and some guys with small hands or (like me) stubby fingers.

On the plus side, it's plenty accurate. They are known to be reliable. It fires a respectable self-defense cartridge and holds plenty of ammo.

4. higabyte

higabyte New Member

No she didn't hold this particular one but we tried some of all sizes a few days ago and she preferred the feel of the bigger ones. So hopefully the size won't be an issue.

Worst case scenario is she gets to use my xd9 subcompact until she finds the "right one" and then I get the ruger out of it. Lol.

Saturday will be the ultimate test though. I'll let her fire both of them and see which she feels most comfortable with and go from there.

5. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

My other half carries a Ruger P93DC. It's like the P95 but has an alloy frame. It has well over 10k down the pipe and still functions flawlessly. She tried my P95 but prefered the 93. As far as thick and heavy goes it's only 1/4 inch longer than the Glock everyone brags about and 2oz heavier. The heavier barrel and slide could account for most of this extra 2oz. The grips are real close to the same width when measured but for some reason people think that the 1/16 of an inch is a major deal breaker. I never had any problems with the break down being complicated. The only extra step is the ejector has to be pressed down before removing the slide.

6. JMan

JMan New Member

P95 great guns and my wife shot it many times with no issues ....