Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy that wants to get rid of a used one in 9mm. How much are they worth? High and the low?

Are these good guns?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I personally shoot and carry a p95 great shooting gun not to heavy and looks good. My p95 was new for 315 4 months ago. I don't think u would be disappointed

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,425 Posts
Do you know if it's a MkII or not? The original had an issue that could discharge it when decocking, if the firing pin broke in a certain way. The originals were recalled to be modified. If it's not a MkII, it could still have been recalled and fixed. I don't know how to identify a MkII, except that I read it has a larger safety lever and a stainless option. I've never actually seen a P85.

Other than that, it's basically a P89 except that it uses it's own magazine. The "modern" P- mags will not fit in the P85. I think I'd price it the same as P89. I dunno. $275? $300 maybe.

I like my P89. I'll always keep it.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Rugerer said:
Do you know if it's a MkII or not? The original had an issue that could discharge it when decocking, if the firing pin broke in a certain way. The originals were recalled to be modified. If it's not a MkII, it could still have been recalled and fixed. I don't know how to identify a MkII, except that I read it has a larger safety lever and a stainless option. I've never actually seen a P85.

Other than that, it's basically a P89 except that it uses it's own magazine. The "modern" P- mags will not fit in the P85. I think I'd price it the same as P89. I dunno. $275? $300 maybe.

I like my P89. I'll always keep it.
http://www.ruger.com/pdf/P85.pdf

We are installing a safety modification that replaces the safety and firing pin mechanism of the
original Ruger P85 9mm pistols, manufactured between 1987-1990. This modification does
not apply to any P85 which has “MKIIR†stamped on either the right or left safety; the
“MKIIR†identifies that the safety modification has already been installed. The modification
also does not apply to any other model P-Series pistol (including the P85MKII), as this
safety system is installed in all other models at the time of production.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've got a P85 with thousands of rounds through it. Not one miss-step ever. I'd start with $225 and see how it goes from there. Make sure its a fixed MKI or a MKII. It'll say MKII on the side, and you can check a MKI on Ruger's site.

This pistol is a tank. Will never let you down, no matter what you put through it. It'll be the best money spent you'll ever spend on a gun.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
In '87 when they first came out I had my FFL and managed to get one of the first out the door. (not an easy thing to do since the gun rag write ups indicated the pistol could walk on water)

When they did the safety recall I sent it in and they sent it back with the mod and a free spare mag. I have NEVER had a FTF or any other issue with the pistol and have fired thousands of rounds through it. It was the first pistol I bought for myself with my FFL and I wouldn't sell it for $1000.

Bought another used for my step-son on his 21st birthday for $250 in excellent condition. He had his choice of any pistol $600 or less and said he wanted a P85 like mine cause he loved the way it shot. Check prices on gunbroker, they tend to be fairly accurate for the P85s.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Like many of the Ruger pistols, they are great inexpensive and reliable firearms. The P85 and the equivalent of it in .45ACP (can't remember the model number, maybe P89?) were my first two pistols. Never an issue with either one. I wish I would have kept them, but I traded them in a number of years back to step up to something more expensive. I liked when they made the steel framed handguns. I own too much tupperware these days and have started buying steel or alloy framed guns again. I still carry an XD though because of the weight, high capacity and how well it shoots.

That said, new Ruger semi-autos are some of the best values (in my opinion). Still very reliable and not too pricey at all for what you get. You can find some good deals used. I bought a P345 about 2 years ago I believe for for $300. When I took it apart, it still had the factory grease in it and didn't look like it had ever been fired. I think the guy just bought it, brought it home and loaded it up. I really like it and for a SS slide model, $300 with three magazines was a steal to me.

I've only had it to the range one time and only put 50 rounds through it, but it's a great shooter.

The P85 (and P89?) are great pistols. A little bulky to carry but Glocks are too in my opinion. Not really the size, just the shape I guess. Very reliable and accurate guns in my experience. My brother still has the P89 as his nightstand gun. He picked it up new a long time ago, probably 20 years, so I bought new springs for him and we replaced them all last time I went to OH. He's never had a problem with it, but for how much he shoots it and since he depends on it as his nightstand gun, I figured it was ready for a makeover.

Don't think you can go wrong here. Great guns for the money. Would still like to pick up another P89 one of these days if I can find one with a SS slide and steel frame. It was a great gun.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts