Ruger P345 Insight

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kineticmind, Jan 27, 2011.

1. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Just brought home a gently used P345 today and I'm looking for some tips from anyone who's ever carried one. First and foremost, I'm in the market for a holster. This is my first full-sized .45, so I'm not really sure what to expect in terms of being able to carry it concealed. I'm assuming, judging by the looks of things, that I'll be doing a lot more OC'ing in the near future! Any insight into how you guys may have carried this gun, or one roughly the same size, and what you found to be most practical (and comfortable) would be great.

Also haven't had a chance to fire it yet, but I like the grip and have heard that the recoil is pretty light. Any recommendations on ammo - both FMJ and JHP - would be greatly appreciated.

Lastly, even though it's not brand new, I just had to take a pic to share with everyone :roll: : [​IMG]

2. score69

score69 New Member

Re: Info/insight on Ruger P345's?

Nice, I'm interested to see what others say as well. I picked one up used but never fired for around $300 a few years back. Never really considered carrying it, but I've put about 50 rounds through it at the range and it's shoots really nice. Accurate and the recoil isn't bad at all.

So I'm not sure what's available for it holster-wise, but I don't think it would be too hard to carry. It's a single stack, and it feels kind of slim to me compared to my XDs. Not sure if it really is or not, but I think it would be very comfortable to carry with the right holster.

I'm a lefty and probably would have to have something custom made if I wanted a decent holster for it. So I just got used to carrying one of my XDs since I found good aftermarket holsters that were for lefties. I got a new holster for my XD, one for my CZ-75 and a new belt from Ryan this week (my first nice leather), so I think I'm going to start alternating the XD with the CZ as my carry gun.

Let me know what you find if nobody responds. I think it would make a great carry gun and would be easily concealable with a good holster. I just prefer to carry my XD or CZ because of the greater ammo capacity. My P345 is a really nice shooter. I think you'll like it. :righton:

I am used to carrying IWB and don't find carrying a full size XD uncomfortable at all. Not sure how you're used to carrying, but obviously OWB is more comfortable but probably a little harder to conceal since with IWB all you need to cover is the grip. I OC pretty much all the time now though. I don't think most people even notice, especially with an IWB holster since most of the gun is tucked away.

3. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Hey Score, thanks for the reply.

I think it should make a nice carry gun, too... that was really the first thing that drew me to it when I held it -- I really liked the grip right off the bat. I'm itching to get it out to a range! And yeah, it's a single stack, but I'm fine with that. I always carried at least one extra mag with me where ever I went even when I carried a 9mm. I'll be doing the same with this whenever I carry it.

And I'm hoping others might chime in about a holster, too. I'm in the dark there, though I did see a video on Youtube of a guy who uses an Aker leather holster made for an XDM .40 but fit his P345 like a glove. He did say, however, that some of the other exact same holsters didn't fit. I'll let you know how that works out if I decide to go that route.

Take care.

4. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

5. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

If anyone is thinking about the P345....I have one BNIB..........400.00......looks just the the OP's

Steve

6. jerry

jerry New Member

My son just bought a new P345. He also got a Tagua ambidextrous IWB holster for it for about $15 at Gables in Newnan. He put around 50 rounds through it last Saturday and is real happy with it. It's his everday carry now.

7. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Info/insight on Ruger P345's

Just a quick little update:

Went to the range yesterday and ran 100 rounds of WWB 230gr FMJ's and 20 rounds of WWB JHP's and it shot beautifully. Not a single hiccup and great grouping at 15-25 yards. Even my wife, who's very petite, enjoyed shooting it and didn't mind the recoil. She's definitely opening up a whole lot more to shooting and the concept of CC'ing, which is a beautiful thing!

And I decided to get the Don Hume H721 leather holster for OC and the Crossbreed Supertuck for CC. Particularly looking forward to the Supertuck, as I've read some really good reviews about those. Now I just have to hurry up and wait for them to get here...

8. bnuggetz

bnuggetz New Member

<-----owns a p345. One of the best guns ever imho. EVEN though its my first handgun i have shot sig's, xd's, glocks (eww, glock residue). the 345 fits my hand better and shoots smoother than most to me. I've had no problems whatsoever in the 3yrs of owning it and have been offered more than i bought it for and declined. dont have a solid holster for it yet though(waiting on wood&steel to make em for the 345).

ill be watching for a review on the crossbreed holster. i've heard some good things about it.

i am currently shooting wwb from wally world and sometimes the federal stuff at the range.
    for pd rounds i have a few i like. i like the 200gr hornady xtp. good stuff, shoots extremely well in the ruger.
    i also use federal hydrashoks 230+p. (im really steering away from +p)
    i love my winchester ranger t's. cost a pretty penny but well worth the dollars.

9. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

Thanks for the reply bnuggetz!

The more I shoot the P345, the more enjoyable it becomes for me. I ran another 100 rounds through it since my last update and it functioned flawlessly. I'm perfectly confident using it as a daily carry gun now. And thanks for the tips on the ammo you use. I'm waiting on some Federal HST's to come in the mail, and I wondered how they would cycle through it.

As for the holsters, both brands backlogged my orders for 6-8 weeks... so it'll still be a minute before I can give a report on either of those. Stinks that it's so hard to find fitted holsters for these guns, but it'll be worth the wait. I can tell I'll be holding on to this gun for a long time!

Take care. :righton:

10. Ken1961

Ken1961 Dei Gratia

It truly amazes me that such well made firearms don't have enough following to warrant more holster options.

I have to use the holster Galco makes for the G19 for my SR9c.

sigh...oh well, at least it's a good fit.

11. kineticmind

kineticmind يفخر الكافر

As long as it fits and you're happy with it, that's what matters. I think the two I ordered will be nice... once they finally get here, that is.

I was surprised when I started looking for holsters that fit, too. Found a couple different makers for the other P-series pistols, but very few for the sleeker, much more CC-friendly P345. :screwy:

12. 69953

69953 Guest

You guys are killing me! :love: I've been jonesing for one of these ever since I held one in a store. Hmm... maybe we can set up a holster group buy and make everyone happy: Get enough orders lined up so I can buy inkdaddy's P345 to use for a mold and justify the cost to my wife. :righton:

Inkdaddy, is yours stainless?