Ruger M77 7mm Mag

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by jreXD9, Nov 24, 2010.

1. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

I put $ down on one yesterday.
    Anyone here care to give their impressions on this weapon? Recoil? What grain do you suggest?
    It came w/scope, muzzle brake, sling and trigger job (less than 3 lbs now) and 2 boxes of ammo.
    Sorry, no pics.....it doesn't reside with me yet.

2. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I have extensive experience with both the Ruger M77 and the 7 mm RemMag Cartridge, though not in the same weapon. I handload for the cartridge and have worked up extensive loads for range, hunting, and supreme accuracy in my rifle.

[​IMG]

What is the intended use of the rifle? Which variant of the rifle?

This years' Wyoming Fast Food.... 282 yards and uphill 210 feet...

[​IMG]

Recoil? That little cartridge has no stinkin' recoil! (Really, I swear.... :cantsay: ) Yes, there is some recoil. I prefer a 140 Barnes Bullet. 3380 fps.

My Model 77 Ruger is an older model and has been a fine, servicable rifle for almost 35 years.

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

I have an older M77 in 7MM MAG. I love the gun. Recoil is not harsh, trajectory relatively flat. Many good loads available for it.

The one I have was my dads. I had the same rifle in .300 WinMAG. Was also very good. When my dad passed away, I kept his 7MM and sold my .300 WinMAG cause I also inherited his .300 Weatherby.

I found the action on the M77 series (at least the ones that I have had/handled to be a bit rougher out of the box, but get your self some Flitz and polish the bolt up and she'll smooth up a bunch.

Good luck with it, they are fine guns.

4. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

it's used and the action is VERY smooth compared to the action of others I looked at.
    My brother and uncle highly recommended this rifle, also, and they're both lifelong gun nutz. My unc is an older gentleman and the word he used to describe the M77 7mm was "splendid." I like that word......splendid. That's the word of the day.
    Miriam-Webster defines that word thusly.
    1: possessing or displaying splendor: as a : shining, brilliant b : marked by showy magnificence
    2: illustrious, grand
    3a : excellent <a splendid opportunity> b : being out of the ordinary : singular

5. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Incidentally, the bullet pictured in the above photgraph was "first up" for this year's hunt and that is the one that actually hit the deer in the second photograph. I thought that was neat after I looked at it!

You did not actually state the intended purpose for the gun, yet. Is it for deer? Long range? Target? It all will matter before I PM you with some loads. I'll tell you where to start your work up, but you cannot start at my loading. My loads are once fired with a mild load to fireform for this chamber, then neck sized only. The load shows no signs of primer malformation or other pressures.... except for that little problem with case/head separation you can see in the spent cartridge. It is really a full load at max. One time use brass, that is.

6. jreXD9

jreXD9 Active Member

Target, yes. Deer, yes. Range, depends on how proficient I can get with it. I know that I wouldn't chance a looooong shot right off, at least until I can get good with it with much practice. I'd be happy to get good at 200-300 yds. Much practice will cost some moolah, though, because this ammo ain't cheap compared to my 9mm and .45 ammo. YOWZA.... :shock:

7. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Just the bullet to reload my own are $3.00 each now..... :shock: I know. I shot well over 500 rounds when I first got the rifle trying to find the perfect load. Then, the solid copper Barnes X was new, and I settled on a really zippy loading of Reloder21 (memory) and I loaded 300 or so. That was 20 years ago. I have enough left so at the current rate of deer acqiusition, I can not reload until I am 80 for it.

Practise on any weapon is good. You do not have to shoot a particular rifle to maintain that proficiency. My longest shot with this Colt Rifle was 625 yards at an antelope in 2003, and I hit, but had to finish him with my 10 mm Delta. I have several 500 yard kills on both antelope and deer. I used to get a deer at our California ranch at 425 every year for a dozen years straight. My first elk was at 420 yards and my second one was at 26 feet. 2008 Wyoming deer was at 30 yards. Last year was exactly 100 yards and this year was exactly 282 yards. (Aren't topo maps and GPS wonderful?) The 7 mm rifle is a good all around and distance weapon.

Next week in Pennsylvannia I will pick up my Ruger SBH and hunt with it. I have only put 30 rounds through it since I shot my last deer with it two years ago. It will be like picking up and old friend and I will still be proficient with it. I find the learned practise with a gun never leaves me. It seems to be my nature.

I see no reason your Ruger would not be a 400yard+ rifle, as my 30-06 Ruger is good for that too. The 140 grain solid copper hollowpoint by Barnes (Triple X or something they call them?) are a great deer load. I think Federal loads them. The Nosler ballistic tips are good for target, and the load will be different.

8. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

I have a Ruger M77 in .270. My father bought it for me as a Christmas present back in 1985. The factory trigger had a 8-9 lbs pull, so I had a Timney put in that breaks a little less than 3 lbs. Over the years, I have killed a lot of deer with it. Accuracy was OK until a replaced the trigger and found the one bullet it likes to shoot. It loves the Hornady 140 gr. BTSP, and will shoot under a MOA at 100 yards if I do my part.

It sounds like you made a very good choice, and that 7mag ought to serve you well. :righton: Good luck.