Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I begin, I know a lot of people are going to tell me I'm better off, etc. Stop. I've made the personal decision that for my striker-fired firearms, I want a manual safety. However, the arm is broken right in the middle, a result of an unfortunate drop accident a while back. Ruger sells the regular LC9 manual safety, and I got one just on the off chance it was one of the LC9/LC9s parts commonalities, but it isn't. When I talked to Ruger, they wouldn't ship me the part, but wanted me to ship the gun to them. I don't want to be without my carry piece for even the week (if not longer) it would be away. Does anyone know if any gunsmiths would be able to fix it? Do they get parts that the rest of us can't get? Is there anyone on here who removed their LC9s safety and would be willing to let me have it?

Thanks!

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,831 Posts
You’re best bet it send it back to Ruger and let them fix it for free. A Smith is not going to have part like laying around for that pistol. They will have to order one anyway. Ruger’s service is among the best in the business.

Numrich shows it as not available.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,755 Posts
Only just one???

:cool:

·
Romans 10:13
4,632 Posts
This is exactly why I have more than one firearm. In case one is out of commission.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Things may be different since all the insanity of the past year but I have used Ruger service once in the past & I was very happy with the result. It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a second pistol. Some people buy duplicates of their most carried gun just in case one goes down.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,149 Posts
This is exactly why I have more than one firearm. In case one is out of commission.

Yeah, Clark, don't you have any other carry-sized pistols or revolvers?
I know your preference is for this particular very compact single stack 9mm, but for 2 weeks could you make do with a bigger autoloader, a .38 revolver, or maybe a rimfire pistol that may normally be your suppressor host, or something??

If my favorite semi-auto pocket pistol were to be out of service for a month, I'd pull my .38 snubby out of the safe, or a .22LR snubby revolver with laser sighting. In the past, I pressed a K-frame square butt S&W model 10 w/ a heavy 4" barrel into service as a daily carry pistol for a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I need to get another carry piece, that's for sure. Though I think I'm aiming at a P229 for house and OC. I was really trying to avoid dealing with shipping it though, I despise having to show my ID to anyone that doesn't have a vested interest in protecting that information, and the fedex guy (that's who Ruger wanted to use when I called them) is most assuredly NOT on that list. Even if it's kept overnight at an FFL to be worked on and thus "transferred," I trust the guy at the gun store a heck of a lot more. I still don't get why Ruger sells the part for the LC9, but not the LC9s. I bout the one for the LC9 just out of curiosity, it of course didn't fit, but the different was slight.

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,831 Posts
Leaving it with a gunsmith does not require a transfer. It would not be a single night. Most good gunsmiths have a few weeks to a few months for turn around times.

While it is in for major surgery, one my 1911’s has been at GA Firing Line since 1/30/21. As of Friday, it’s been fixed, refinished, and is just waiting on blacked out target sights to come in. I dropped off the slide for another to get Cerakoted. I was told 2-3 weeks then around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts