Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several friends with whom I shoot and they were all shocked to find out that I do not own a 10/22. Every last one of them said all gun collections should have a 10/22 and after doing some reading I can't say that they are that important but I would like to have one.

The first thing is a silencer. I'll either buy a 10/22 with a threaded barrel or will add a threaded barrel. I will not use one of the clamp on adapters. I know nothing about silencers other than what they do. So what is a good one for the 10/22?

I'll be buying the stainless variant and adding a black folding stock. Any recommendations there? Something like this - https://www.rusticsportsman.com/sho...M86yNA9GIf36LjGU93hmO6qmIeoHEHiogwaApYa8P8HAQ

Any other must haves right off the bat?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,160 Posts
Other must haves?

Marlin Model 60

Henry AR-7

Beretta Neos w/ 6" barrel

Nemo

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
a fifty round magazine is fun.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Silencer wise, I'd recommend a user serviceable monocore design. Aluminum k baffles are no fun to clean. The gemtech gm22 is nice. There are also integral barrels you can get that cost a lot more, but are much quieter because the actual barrel section is short enough to keep most ammo subsonic.

I just bought a pair of ruger 10/22 takedown lites for my girlfriend and myself, with UTG bug buster scopes. Fit and finish are amazing, and they weigh in at just about 4.5 lbs without the 13 oz scope. Hopefully we'll get to thoroughly test them out this weekend.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I have 10/22 stainless threaded(tactical model no sightseeing and a 10/22 takedown with threaded barrel. I use Silencerco sparrow and Innovative Arms Apex S silencers. They work pretty good. I am waiting on a Gemtech Mist integrated barrel to put on another 10/22 I have.

FYI older 10/22's had aluminum trigger housings newer ones have plastic. You can find older trigger housings or get Volquartsen trigger group. The older triggers were pretty good Volquartsen is awesome.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Grabagun.com usually has a version on sale for under 300 bucks.
I'd go with the take down version and change the stock to the Magpul one..
Go to Volquartsen and TandemCross for all the upgrade parts you will need.
You will have more in the upgrades than in the rifle when you're thru.
Ask me how I know this...lol

·
NRA Instructor
3,391 Posts
I have my 10/22 decked out with Tapco COL stock and fore end. I don't have the Marlin Model 60 but instead have the Marlin Model 70 PSS, the Henry AR7 and a Remington Model 14.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's not required to own a 10/22, but it is required to own a .22. Might as well be that one. I'm not a big fan of the tacticool mods to the 10/22, mine is a plain jane model I've had for about 40 years, with most of the finish worn off, and the birch stock has seen better days. Thanks for reminding me. I think we've got an anniversary coming up, I was thinking about surprising the old girl with some new jewelry. https://www.midsouthshooterssupply....3-9x33mm-efr-fine-duplex-reticle-matte-finish She's put up with me all these, she's probably earned it.

·
Registered
839 Posts
The first thing is a silencer. I'll either buy a 10/22 with a threaded barrel or will add a threaded barrel. I will not use one of the clamp on adapters. I know nothing about silencers other than what they do. So what is a good one for the 10/22?
Have you looked into integrally suppressed 10/22? Semi-auto will have action noise/ port-pop.
A friend of mine has a very nice Tacsol 10/22 and it is very quiet with Sparrow. But my bolt action is more quiet.
Type of action and ammo being used have everything to do with sound level for 22 rifles.

·
Registered
385 Posts

·
hu huh, you said "Member"
585 Posts
A screw-on 22 can becomes much more fun because of what else you can screw it onto.

Walther P22, Ruger 22/45 or Mark 'X', Ruger Charger, any one of the 1911 .22's, there are so many more...

Can be really quiet with a can on a fast twist barrel, chunking those 60gr Aguila SSS rounds...

You can get bolt locks if you want to disable the semi-auto function, and make that one shot really quiet like a bolt action. Me, I'd just rather get a CZ 427 or similar.

10/22s are just great. They can be mild or wild. My only issue with one has been the receiver pins wearing out and becoming loose, slop in there. No biggie.

Steel Lips mags are great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts