RSS?

Discussion in 'Website & Forum Suggestions' started by geaux_tigers, Aug 30, 2006.

1. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

gs1, ever look into adding an RSS mod?

2. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No I have not, no one has ever asked about it before.

3. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I would certainly find it useful as navagating the site on my Treo can be a bit awkward.

I've heard some other admins boast that they saw increaes in traffic after adding an RSS mod. I think I saw a couple of them out there. Here is a link to one:

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=rss

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I installed Opera on my Motorola RAZR a few months back and now when I use it, I can surf this site from my phone. The formatting is bunched together, but that is a given with the screen size of my phone. The license page and the gun laws page display on that little screen a spot on. I have used it many occassions to let curious people view the gun laws and the GFL.

5. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I should have been more precise. Its really reading the posts that can get a bit old. With RSS it can view all the posting in a much more efficient manner than having to go back and forth through all of the menus and waiting for each page to be downloaded.

I've shared pages from the site with a few people using my phone. Great tool for spreading the word ... and finding out what traffic looks like. :)

Now my thumbs are cramping... ;)

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That was easy to set up.. 8)
    Point your RSS reader to:
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/rss.php

If you want a desktop RSS reader that is free try
    http://www.feedreader.com/?fromfr

If you want to add other blogs to the reader I know SayUncle, War on Guns, Of arms and the law, and others have it to, you just point the reader to whatever they call their RSS page. It could be Syndication, Feed, XML, RSS, but all are basically the same thing.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I am playing with it and it looks like it will add the entire topic if that is the first post the RSS has seen.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

nope, not doing that.. duplicating some of them.

Ok, found a mod for the mod, lets see about just having new posts only.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

try this again...

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That seems to have done it. \:D/

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Do we have foreigners hacking onto the forum and chatting in a foreign language?

12. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

No, the last spam guard I added to the forum has been preventing all the spam registrations and posts.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Well. I clicked on RSS Feed and all I got was gibberish.

14. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

You have to download a RSS reader to read it correctly.

Basically a RSS reader will check that RSS page every few minutes to see if a post has been made. If one has, the reader will download the post and alert you.

So what looks like gibberish in a web browser is what a reader needs.

If you want a desktop RSS reader that is free try
    http://www.feedreader.com/?fromfr

I installed it and (during installation it asks what feeds you want, I unchecked them all) you click "new" and add the address that the RSS Feed points to on the forum into the box in the reader. Then come back and post something and in a couple of minutes the reader will alert you that a post has been made.

15. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Unfortunately I can't get it to work from behind the company firewall, even after I input our proxy. :(

Oh well, I can still get the the page from my browser. I'll try the feed from home tonight.

16. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

I loaded it, and it's pretty darn fast.

17. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Wow...you're not kidding it's fast! Now that I'm not behind the corporate firewall this thing updated in about a second.

18. Malum Prohibitum

I downloaded it, but I am really not sure what I am supposed to do with it to get the "blazing fast" whatever.

19. Malum Prohibitum

Ok, wait, I think I have it.

I plugged in the address from above, and when I click on it, it lists all the posts form today. Then I click on ech post and it shows me the post.

Is this right?

20. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Thats it, and if you have a broadband connection and leave the program running (minimized) and you keep your speakers turned up you will hear a whistle noise soon after I post this.

If you don't have speakers it still pops up a notice and changes the color of the cube logo that is down by the clock.