Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At my NRA safety class several years ago, the instructor had us stand a round on the top of our slide near the muzzle, and then pull the trigger (gun empty of course), to see if we could do that without it falling off.

Is this a good dry fire practice to include with dry fire, or even with laser training? Or is it bogus?

If you knowledgeable folks think it's a good idea, I will practice it like a grasshopper. ;-)

·
Man of Myth and Legend
17,841 Posts
About any practice method that can help you maintain point of aim while pulling the trigger is a good thing.

Nemo

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
I have used the "balance a quarter on the front sight" for some students that seamed to have a problem with keeping the gun steady during trigger pull I did not use it for all.

The process is to have the student balance a quarter on the front sight then extend the arm and establish a 2 handed grip. Then take aim and squeeze the trigger and try to keep the quarter on the sight through the whole action.

I only did this for students that had issues with maintaining POA when pulling the trigger. This helps reduce recoil anticipation as well. While this does not use a cartridge it works to solve the same problems.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
Rule #1

NO LIVE AMMO IN THE TRAINING AREA.

If you must do the balancing act use a quarter on the front sight. Pennies, Dimes and Nickles are too easy to keep on the sight.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I kept an eye on that little sucker lest it run down the slide and try to open the chamber.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
I kept an eye on that little sucker lest it run down the slide and try to open the chamber.
Your NRA instructor was wrong for this. The one thing the NRA is really picky about is not having live ammo in the the training area.

Reactions: Phil1979

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
I guess so far no one has answered the question as to if this was good dry fire practice. The answer would be no. Having live ammo in a training area is a bad idea. I am always unarmed when conducting any firearm training class. Even if they are not NRA classes I do not allow live ammo in the classroom. NONE even unopened boxes are not allowed. I have LASERS and A-Zoom for classroom uses for both semi auto and revolvers.

Reactions: gunsmoker

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,451 Posts
And STILL only Seajay has spoken to the OP's question--whether this drill helps train people out of the flinching habit.

I would assume it helps, but I have no data to back that up. I think it could identify the big flinches / jerking of trigger. Not the more subtle errors of that kind.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
29,451 Posts
...Having live ammo in a training area is a bad idea...I do not allow live ammo in the classroom.

Well, a person could use a different small object that has a similar ratio of its balance point above its footprint. An empty brass case, with the rim (heaviest part) on top? If an empty pistol brass case is so short this is not a challenge, try an empty rifle case.
Or a deep socket from your socket set.
Something.

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
And STILL only Seajay has spoken to the OP's question--whether this drill helps train people out of the flinching habit.

I would assume it helps, but I have no data to back that up. I think it could identify the big flinches / jerking of trigger. Not the more subtle errors of that kind.
I have experience data on it but nothing I have documented. The balanced quarter can and does detect and correct even the smallest flinches. Not only is it hard to even get the pistol into firing position it's even harder to pull the trigger without it falling off. With the quarter the person can more readily see the movement of the firearm during the entire drill. think of it like a LASER attached to the firearm and see how stead the dot stays on the desired POA. The LASER will dance all around where you want to shoot.

·
Member Georgia Carry
12,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Are NRA instructors allowed to be armed while teaching a class, under NRA rules?

·
NRA Certified Instructor
6,377 Posts
Are NRA instructors allowed to be armed while teaching a class, under NRA rules?
No. With one exception. The gun must not have live ammo in it. I use real firearms in class but only A-zoom for loading and unloading instruction in pistols and revolvers and LASER Cartridges for pistols and revolvers.I have LASER cartridges for 9mm, 40, and 45.and for 38 special that also work for 357 magnum. I have interactive LASER targets called IMTTS that can be set to several drills. The NRA is real sticky about not having live ammo in the training area. I have even asked a LEO to remove the ammo from her firearms and person in class. The reason for this is the same reason police trainers do not allow live ammo in class. Police instructors have been known to accidentally shoot themselves and students.

Reactions: Adam5

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Is it possible people learn not to flinch/jerk the trigger with dry firing exercises but fall back into bad habits once live fire commences? I’m thinking it is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts