Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my Shield 9mm for three days now, and as I've handled it, I've discovered three little rough spots in the casting of the polymer frame (see yellow ovals):

At first, I thought I just needed to get used to it. However, after two days of constant irritation, I took one of my wife's emery boards and slowly worked on the three spots until they were smooth. I was amazed at how much better it felt after I finished.

Anyone else ever do that?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I've never owned a Shield, but I have taken a Dremel, file, sandpaper, Scotchbrite pad or cabinet scraper to the polymer on every single Glock I have ever owned, to remove mold flashing, burrs, etc.
Same with every Kydex holster I have ever owned.

·
I watch the watchers
12,886 Posts
Scotchbrite brand pads on more than a few polymer frames, needle files on metallic ones.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,617 Posts
I de-horned the metal edges and sharp corners on a Taurus pistol before, but I had no complaints about the polymer lower. It was the upper that I worked on.

I have used a hacksaw blade to cut my own ******* checkering pattern into the smooth black plastic of an aftermarket folding stock on a tactical carbine. I wasn't concerned with looks, just function, and it needed some more traction.

Finally, I had an AK-47 pattern rifle with a terrible wooden stock. I used a rasp and file and then some very rough sandpaper to remove a bunch of wood to make it fit my grip better, then refinished it. It looked uglier than before, but fit and felt better.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Never had to do any such thing with the Walthers I own. The LCP needed a wee bit of such polishing on a mold line. Now the CO2 pistol I have needed a bunch. The other polymers I own are police trade ins and saw a fair bit of use prior to my getting them so I can't say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts