Rossi 38 Special Snub nose ?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Ingram, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Ingram

Ingram New Member

I have an older model Rossi 38 Special Snub nose revolver....I am wondering if it will be OK to shoot 38 +P in it ? It is tight and I have read on other blogs posters saying they can feed whatever 38 loads they want...I just want to verify that....Anyone know :?: Thanks

2. Dan

Dan Cumberland County, Maine

If its not marked for +p, then I would not.

I'm using Tapatalk on my mobile phone. I apologize in advance for any grammar/spelling issues. I blame the phone.

3. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Rossi are not the quality arms... I would NOT shoot +P in one.

4. FrontSight

FrontSight Well-Known Member

I'll be the third no vote. I had a Rossi snub years ago. It was the most accurate snub I've fired using lead rd. nose ammo. Jacketed HP it didn't like at all.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

5. Ingram

Ingram New Member

OK - Thanks guys...I will stick with standard 38 special ammo.

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

Agreed. I like the old Rossis but I don't shoot +P in them.

7. Match10

Match10 Active Member

"The only thing a Rossi handgun is good for is fixing another broken Rossi."

Elmer Curtis, Gunsmith - circa 1981

8. HonestJim

HonestJim New Member

I have a Rossi .38 5 shot revolver and it is a good revolver, I'm pretty sure those putting it down have never owned or fired one. The newer ones are every bit as good as a S&W. I have a S&W model 37 and the Rossi is a better gun.

Anyway, they are rated +P. says so in the owners manual. I wouldn't even think of shooting +p out my model 37, it would fly apart.

9. HonestJim

HonestJim New Member

How many have you owned, shot or repaired? Name a specific problem with the Rossi .38 revolvers.

10. Ingram

Ingram New Member

I don't have a manual on mine and My Rossi 38 Special snub is an older model...I bought it used 20 yrs. ago...It was made by Rossi...so it is not a late model...So I wonder if the older ones are also rated +P...I know I have read some posts on other blogs where folks have said they fired some powerful rounds through the old models...Sure wish I knew for absolute sure ???

11. HonestJim

HonestJim New Member

Is it a taurus Rossi or an interArms? if it says Taurus on it, then is is rated +p and a good gun. if it says interarms, then the earlier posters may be right. Taurus bought Rossi in 1997.

I did not realize yours was quite so old, but any modern Rossi is a quality firearm.

http://www.rossiusa.com/history.cfm

12. HonestJim

HonestJim New Member

Also, you're not going to much more from a +p round coming out a 2 inch barrel anyways.

13. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I would not shoot +P from the old Interarms Rossis. Not familiar with the new ones.

As for quality, I've never had a problem with any Rossi. I used to own a little stainless model 88, it was the most accurate snubby I ever fired. That was with low-pressure lead SWC, 125 gr.

14. HonestJim

HonestJim New Member

yea, I'm not saying they are the best guns, but are well worth the money, they have great reviews. If you ever hold one of the new ones you can tell they are well made by the fit and finish on them. I just hate to see a quality product disparaged by those that have not tried one of the new models.

http://reviews.academy.com/9102/0358-03 ... ort=rating

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I don't own crap, but I have seen a whole bunch of failed old Rossi crap in my grandfather's gun shop. The specific problem with Rossi is they are made of inferior steel and workmanship and heat treating is poor.

Their new guns are essentially Taurus. Better, but I still do not want one.

16. Ingram

Ingram New Member

OK - I have an older model before Taurus bought them so I will stick with the standard 38 loads....Thanks guys...I appreciate your help.

17. Ingram

Ingram New Member

You know, Match10, I have ignored you up until now.....Now I want to know ....are you trying to pick a fight with me....?? You have made it clear ...you think my Rossi is garbage...you have said it is " crap "...I don't think you would say this to my face...I never post anything I would not be willing to say to a man's face...but that's just me...

I think we all got the message ...you don't like Rossi...

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Here are pics of my Rossi .38 special snub nose revolver.
    I hear it's about 18 or 20 years old. Imported and distributed by Interarms of Alexandria, VA (it says so on the right side of the gun, on the part of the sideplate that is under the cylinder)

It's all-stainless, but that doesn't mean it's stronger than carbon steel, does it?
    I never heard that SS is more resistant to high pressure events than carbon steel; only that it resists rust and corrosion better.
    [​IMG]

If anybody wants to supply the .38 special +P ammo, I'll do an experiment.
    I'll shoot it with that ammo, until you give up and accept that the gun can handle it, OR until the gun fails,
    OR until you run out of ammo and money to buy more +P ammo.

I'm not advising anybody to use any ammo not specifically endorsed by the gun's manufacturer. No.

But I'm saying that after 20 years of owning Taurus and Rossi handguns, I will -- AND DO -- carry +P ammo in this gun.

And I will-- AND DO--- fire some of that ammo once in a while in training at the range.

But most of my shooting with revolvers is done with standard-pressure .38's or even abnormally -mild wadcutters.
    Just because they're more fun to use in a small gun with small grips.
    [​IMG]

19. Ingram

Ingram New Member

On the right side of mine just under the cylinder it says.." Made in Brazil - Garcia sporting arms..Thenb
    on the right side behind the cylinder it has the circular Rossi logo and IND BRAS above the logo and MARO REG below the logo...Then it has the wood grips like yours with the ROSSI round logo in silver at the top of the grips on each side...