1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By Glen Johnson
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 04/04/2007 01:29:34 PM MDT

To hear Mitt Romney talk on the campaign trail, you might think the Republican presidential candidate had a gun rack in the back of his pickup truck.
"I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life," he said this week in Keene, N.H., to a man sporting a National Rifle Association cap.
Yet the former Massachusetts governor's hunting experience is limited to two trips at the bookends of his 60 years: as a 15-year-old, when he hunted rabbits with his cousins on a ranch in Idaho, and last year, when he shot quail on a fenced game preserve in Georgia.
Last year's trip was an outing with major donors to the Republican Governors Association, which Romney headed at the time.
An aide said Wednesday that Romney was not trying to mislead anyone, although he confirmed Romney had been hunting only on those occasions in his life.
"Governor Romney's support for the Second Amendment doesn't come from the fact he knows how to handle a firearm; it comes from his appreciation of the Constitution and the rights enshrined in it, including the right to keep and bear arms," said campaign spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom.
He went on to cite the pro-gun measures Romney signed into law while serving as governor from 2003 to this past January.
Romney himself made several of the same points to the Keene audience, while also trying to offer some perspective on his hunting experience.
"I support the Second Amendment," he told the man who had asked about his views on the constitutional right to bear arms. "I purchased a gun when I was a young man. I've been a hunter pretty much all my life. I've never really shot anything terribly big. I used to hunt rabbits."
Romney added: "Shooting a rabbit with a single-shot .22 is pretty hard, and after watching me try for a couple of weeks, (my cousins) said, 'We'll slip you the semiautomatic. You'll do better with that.' And I sure did."
On the Georgia excursion, he said, "I knocked quite a few birds and enjoyed myself a great deal."
Expressing familiarity with and support for gun rights is key among Republican presidential contenders, who count gun owners, members of the military and the NRA itself among their potential supporters.
It helps explain why Romney joined the NRA last August, signing up not just as a supporter but a designated "Lifetime" member, and why he has softened his gun control positions.
Romney told a Derry, N.H., audience, "I'm after the NRA's endorsement. I'm not sure they'll give it to me. I hope they will. I also joined because if I'm going to ask for their endorsement, they're going to ask for mine."
During a 1994 U.S. Senate campaign, Romney positioned himself as a moderate outsider, warning special interest groups to stay out of the race and saying he supported the Brady gun control law and a ban on assault rifles.
"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," he told the Boston Herald at the time. "I don't line up with a lot of special interest groups."
It's a theme he carried into his 2002 gubernatorial campaign. At the time, Romney pledged to do nothing to change the state's firearms statutes.
"We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts. I support them. I won't chip away at them. I believe they protect us and provide for our safety," he said.
True to his word, Romney went on to sign one of the toughest assault weapons laws in the country.
Romney, though, also took steps to protect the rights of gun owners as governor.
The assault weapons ban won the backing of Massachusetts gun owners in part because it included provisions extending the term of a firearms identification card and a license to carry weapons from four to six years. It also created a Firearm License Review Board to provide an appeals process for people whose license applications had been denied.
In 2006, Romney also signed NRA-backed legislation creating exemptions for the makers of customized target pistols who had found it too expensive to sell their guns in Massachusetts because of a state regulation requiring them to test at least five examples of new products "until destruction."
In February, Romney was touting such measures as he and his wife, Ann, toured the Shooting, Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show in Orlando, Fla., with Wayne LaPierre, the NRA's executive vice president.
"I'm proud to be among the many decent, law-abiding men and women who safely use firearms," Romney said.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5592560?source=rss

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay, I'll admit it. I've never went hunting.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Re: Romney, self-described lifelong hunter, has hunted on tw

By Glen Johnson
Romney added: "Shooting a rabbit with a single-shot .22 is pretty hard, and after watching me try for a couple of weeks, (my cousins) said, 'We'll slip you the semiautomatic. You'll do better with that.' And I sure did."
:?:
I guess those were some damn big rabits that he needed to shoot em 4-5 times to take em down. Must be a texas thing. I know they grow everything bigger out there but all the rabbits here in Georgia (that I've ever seen) fell over PDQ if you pop em in the head or body with .22LR regardless of what it came out of.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I've gone deer hunting before, woke up early in the morning and was there before sun up. Light rain all day, stayed in about the 40s the entire morning. Didn't see a thing.

No sir, I didn't like it.

·
68,657 Posts
glockgirl said:
I'm too ADD for hunting.... Can't sit still that long.
Go west, where you get to hike and look for the animals and not see any other hunters . . .

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,820 Posts
A friend who is a strict vegan and supporter of P.E.T.A. tried to tell me that hunting and eating meat was cruel to animals. I told her that if God didn't want me to eat animals, that he wouldn't make them taste so good. I also told her that I fully support People Eating Tasty Animals. :twisted:
She got really mad when we were going to Memphis State together. She was a vet major and said that she wanted to the vet that works for a farm. I said, "Oh, you want to be the person that makes sure cows grow big enough for carnivors like me to get plenty of steaks and Quarter Pounders from them."

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I've never been hunting. I'd like to go sometime, but no one has ever taken me.

·
68,657 Posts
Rammstein said:
I never got anything until people quit taking me, and I went out in the woods by myself . . .

With that having been said, I much prefer hunting in the wilderness of the west than in the food plots of the east.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Rammstein said:
I never got anything until people quit taking me, and I went out in the woods by myself . . .

With that having been said, I much prefer hunting in the wilderness of the west than in the food plots of the east.
I'd like to learn the fundamentals before I step out on my own.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
Rammstein said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
Rammstein said:

I'd like to learn the fundamentals before I step out on my own.
if it is moving, lead the target,
if it is standing still, aim at the target
Don't shoot the things in the bright orange vests
follow the 4 safety rules

·
Atlanta Overwatch
13,820 Posts
Gunstar1 said:
[

Don't shoot the things in the bright orange vests
follow the 4 safety rules
At the barn where my daughter stables her horse outside of Adairsville, there were signs all over durring deer season. They were warning riders to wear bright colors and to be VERY mindful of hunters while trail riding. There were also signs saying NOT to leave horses unattended in th epastures. Appearently the season before, a horse that was in a pasture at the edge of the woods was shot and killed.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
i saw something several years ago where farmers were
painting in big letters on their cows: COW so the hunters
wouldn't think it was a deer

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
...I know how to shoot. I don't know how to hunt.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I really dont know why Romneys hunting experience is such a big deal. He is a great candidate for president, is well spoken and has a lot of good ideas. IMHO

·
68,657 Posts
Dan H said:
I really dont know why Romneys hunting experience is such a big deal. He is a great candidate for president, is well spoken and has a lot of good ideas. IMHO
Well, it is more a question of integrity, in my mind. He claimed to be a lifelong hunter. Therefore, he made his experience an issue. In this case, it is an issue of honesty.

Likewise, he claimed to support the Second Amendment, but he has previously supported gun control. He was not a member of the NRA but bought in as a life member when deciding to run for President. My principles are not for sale so easily.

I don't think the man is principled, which precludes him from being a good candidate, in my mind.

·
Registered
787 Posts
“Deadly assault weapons have no place in Massachusetts,†Romney said, at a bill signing ceremony on July 1 with legislators, sportsmen’s groups and gun safety advocates. “These guns are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.â€

http://www.iberkshires.com/story.php?story_id=14812

This wasn't from 10 years ago, it was 3. America get ready to turn in your AR's and mags over 10 rounds.

·
68,657 Posts
Adam5 said:
Isn't Romney supposed to be Sean Hannity's radio show this evening?
I only heard part of it. It was mostly "I support the troops" type boring banter.

Anybody hear more of it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts