Rome ga

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by atlsrt44, Oct 15, 2018.

1. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Interviewing for a job in rome ga. Not too familiar with the city. Any thoughts on it?

2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

It's not Italy. Other than that, I know nothing about it.

Nemo

3. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

I bought a new utility trailer from Dyke's Creek Farm Supply 15 years ago, but haven't been back to Rome since. At the time, they were good people to deal with and it was worth the drive from South Atlanta for the trailer.

If you're interviewing there, I'd expect they'd still be good people to deal with and work for. But other than that, I can't offer any help on Rome.

4. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I moved here 5 years ago from Palm Beach County, FL. It's much, much quieter and laid back. And we have 2 Wal-Marts! How's that?

5. moe mensale

In another thread you mentioned you're in CA. Anything will be an improvement over that!

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A good friend lived in Rome for a dozen years before relocating to Cobb Co.
    I've visited Rome several times. I like it.
    It's still far enough from Atlanta to NOT be part of the metro ATL area. Not culturally or politically or demographically. But one day it will be. Maybe in 15-20 more years. The traffic will come. The forests will be bulldozed and row after row of shopping centers and cluster homes will pop up. But for now, it's nice.

7. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

Rome is mentioned twice in Gregg Allman's song "Multi-Colored Lady".
    That's all I have.

8. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

Most of the area around Rome is protected forest of either Marshal Forest or Berry campus.

9. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

I go through Rome on my way to Carrollton at least 4x a week.

A lot less traffic

10. gungeek

gungeek Member

I work in Rome, but I don't live there. We've talked about moving up that way once the kids are out of the house. I like Rome, but like any city, it has its issues and some sketchy areas. From what I hear, schools are hit or miss if that's important to you. You'll have to drive 30-60 minutes to get to a Best Buy, Academy, Cabelas or other things Rome doesn't have. From my perspective, it's a good example of small town GA with relatively easy access to big town stuff if you want it.

11. moe mensale

Being retired I can't speak to the schools but lack of big box stores enables us to visit Cartersville and Hiram on a regular basis. But then there's always on-line shopping. :lol: One thing I really like is Rome actually has a "downtown" area. Something I hadn't experienced in many decades. Lots of really interesting eateries and other things. If you like that sort of stuff.