Roku

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kestak, Sep 24, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Anyone uses Roku? We really don't watch any TV directly except local news sometimes and foxnews. ANyone knows if Roku has foxnews? For the local I know I can get an antennae.

About Roku, how does the buffering done? On my PC, I see the buffer and I can control it. IS there memory in the Roku to buffer?

Anything better than Roku?

Thank you

2. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

We've got one, and we like it a lot. No, it does not have a direct "fox news" channel, but there may be another way to get to it, I'm not 100% sure though. The time it takes to download, and the quality you will get from it depend a lot on your internet connection. We have a very steady stream of >=10Mbps, and stream HD quality with no problem at all, and the movies start in about 10 seconds or less after we choose what to watch and click play. We love Roku, but it is not perfect. I have gone through two devices, and the HDMI outputs do not work correctly for me, so I am using composite cables instead.

Is there anything better? Yes. Boxee. http://www.amazon.com/The-Boxee-Box-by- ... 608&sr=8-1

Boxee will act more like a cpu for your tv. It will allow access to more content than Roku. IIRC, it will also allow you to enter a website name to check out content on that site, much more like a web browser--again, if I'm remember right. We used to talk about getting a second Roku box. Now we will be waiting for a Boxee box.

3. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Do you know how's the buffering done? On the PC, it is done with Memory/Hard drive. I did not see any memory with the Roku specs.

The Boxee is not out yet. It looks like a bunch of top-boxes will be released before Xmas.

Thank you

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

It does have some memory to buffer, yes, I am not sure how much though honestly. Forum posts discussing memory in them from back in 2008 say 64MB, not sure if that has been increased or not since then.

IMO, the Boxee will become the new standard that others are compared to.

5. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

If it is 64MB, that means an average of 90 seconds of mpeg-4 data non-HD (720). This is really not a lot considering my Internet connection is DSL 1.5 Mbits/sec.... :?

Thank you

6. fiwit

fiwit New Member

Kestak, I have Comcast cable and a Roku box. I have no idea what the specs are on it, but it is typically able to entirely buffer whatever I'm wanting to watch as soon as I select it. Caveat: I only use it to watch Netflix movies.

7. WakesSS

WakesSS New Member

I've been looking for another streaming player for a bedroom and looked at the roku. I think I'm holding out for the new AppleTV or Boxee though.
    The Xbox 360 has actually been a great Netflix player. Much faster browsing and better buffering than the connected TV and blu-ray players I also use.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2369505,00.asp