Rockdale County GWL

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Sandman4406, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Sandman4406

Sandman4406 New Member

Hello All!

I have a question Rockdale County and the disqualifiers they use when applying for a GWL. First thing, is I was a LEO for 12 years here in GA and a POST Firearms Instructor. People come to me frequently asking me questions regarding the GWL and generally I can answer them. However, I have a friend that told me he was charged with Misdemeanor possession of marijuana in 2006 and he case has long been adjudicated. He went to the Rockdale county courthouse to obtain his GWL (concealed carry) and on the application it stated in bold print that any drug offense mis or felony would automatically disqualify you from obtaining said license. He told me he walked out of the place without even bothering with the forms.

I can find no where that this mis drug charge prohibits one from gaining a license from the sate of GA, if it is there I apologize for posting but I can't find it. Any help would be appreciated as now I'm curious as to whether or not this is a county decision or is in fact state law. I'm suspicious due to the fact I have class III firearms and now the Sheriff of my county (Gwinnett) refuses to sign any paperwork, leaving me the only option of using the estate route for a new purchase. Deducting from Conway's refusal to sign off on the class III paperwork it struck me that maybe Rockdale is implementing a type of county discrimination.

If anyone has heard of this type of situation with Rockdale I would appreciate any information I could obtain to pass along to my friend.

Thank You

2. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Check here... https://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?title=16&chapter=11&section=129

(b) Licensing exceptions.

(I) Any person who has been convicted of any misdemeanor involving the use or possession of a controlled substance and has not been free of all restraint or supervision in connection therewith or free of:

for at least five years immediately preceding the date of the application; or

So if it is a misdemeanor and he is beyond the 5 years from the conviction AND any probation...
    he should be good to go...

3. Sandman4406

Sandman4406 New Member

Thank You Gun Toter for the info! Turns out he was finished with probation in 2008 so I told him to try in 2013 or 2014.

I appreciate the time you allotted for your response.

4. Shorty4T

Shorty4T New Member

Sandman, I assure you that Judge Brown or Sheriff Wigington don't have any intention of violating state law for their own reasons. Judge Brown was very active here in Rockdale with support for SB308. She and I have had several discussions during the legislative process.

I know each of these officials personally, you will be hard pressed to find other elected officials that are so adament about supporting state and federal satutes through their jobs. Former GCO President Ed Stone and GCO Director Jerry Henry both have made multiple trips here, Sheriff Wigington and Judge Brown have been at almost all of these meetings to voice their support.

Certain members of the County Commission on the other hand may try to use only the laws they support and dismiss those they don't.

Cheers,
    Sam

5. JMan

JMan New Member

Just because he is off probation in 2008 that he has to wait additional 5 years ,it means he has to be trouble free at least 5 years and off probation lah lah dee da...A friend of mine had a same story and was off Probation 2009 and got his GFL about 1 month ago .Tell him to fill the form and don't lie on there and let them know SB308 passed and states he is eligible for a Permit . Tell him don't go in there demanding he has to be issued anything be polite .

6. maggie

maggie New Member

plus one on what Shorty said . Saw you duck into Chick Filet the other day , late for appointment , couldn't chat , didn't blow the horn at somebody named Shorty Forty. lol

7. Iceman

Iceman Active Member

Hey Sam,

Since (according to Jerry) you're much more efficient (or was it effective?) than I am, perhaps you can drop Judge Brown a note asking her to strike the following quote from the county's web page regarding weapons permits.

I sent her an e-mail on this several months ago, but I didn't follow up on it when she said she would get it changed. I'll bet an e-mail from you would get it changed in a matter of [s:28h8nera]minutes[/s:28h8nera] seconds.

8. Shorty4T

Shorty4T New Member

Hey Maggie, it has been a while...too bad you couldn't have stopped and chatted for a bit. I think I was on my way to Athens likely when you saw me. We need to plan another get together here in Conyers. We always have a good turnout!

LOL!! I'll see what I can do Jud, I saw Judge Brown at the BOC budget hearing on Friday. If I had known I'd be glad to mention it to her. I don't see her too often, but we'll get it changed.

Cheers,
    Sam