road rage shooting in MI by permit holder

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Scary mug shot of the woman on newspaper's site:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... /703190369

Detroit Free Press

Fear blamed in I-94 rage

Mom: Woman going through rough time

March 19, 2007

BY GINA DAMRON and CHRISTY ARBOSCELLO

FREE PRESS STAFF WRITERS

The Dodge Ram weaved closely behind her, following her from lane to lane.

Bernadette Houghton Headd -- who was enduring stress from caring for sick loved ones -- was convinced she would be run off the highway.

And she snapped.

Police say that Headd pulled her 1993 Chevrolet Cavalier alongside the pickup as the two vehicles traveled down I-94 in Harrison Township last month.

She then grabbed the 9mm pistol she's been licensed to carry for nine years, pointed it out of the window and fired at the tires of the truck driven by a New Baltimore man, police say.

The 39-year-old Macomb Township woman is due in Macomb County Circuit Court at 1:30 p.m. today before Judge Diane Druzinski on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, discharge of a firearm from a motor vehicle and using a firearm during a felony.

She was arraigned on those charges Feb. 22 in 41-B District Court in Clinton Township, stemming from the road-rage incident the previous morning. Her case was bound over to the county court for a pretrial hearing and arraignment. If convicted, she faces up to six years in prison.

When she was arrested, she told police, "I'm tired of people tailgating me."

But her mother said Headd was fearful during a trying and turbulent time in her life. She had been caring for her mother, who had a kidney transplant in December, and for her 18-year-old son, who had surgery in January for scoliosis, Del-Marie Headd said Saturday.

"When you're afraid for your life, I mean, what is it you're supposed to do?" she asked, defending her daughter who, she said, didn't intend to strike the truck.

Headd is a good shot, often firing at a shooting range once a month, her mother said.

"She was more or less trying to scare him off."

Law enforcement officials say there's no excuse: What if the stray bullet hit someone?

"We went out looking for the round along the roadway, but that was a morning with a lot of fog," Macomb County Sheriff's Capt. Tony Wickersham has said.

Like so many of the thousands of Michiganders licensed to carry concealed weapons, Headd got the gun so she would feel safe. She wanted to be able to protect her mother, who had been mugged, and her only son.

When someone licensed to carry a gun is accused of using it to commit a crime, the permit is automatically suspended pending a revocation hearing while the criminal case is pending, the Macomb County Sheriff's Office said.

While it's that type of handgun abuse that fuels the debate between gun advocates and gun control groups, Del-Marie Headd said recklessness is uncharacteristic for her daughter, who takes reservations for Spirit Airlines.

"She did a very stupid thing," her Madison Heights-based lawyer Leslie Kutinsky said, adding that he'd like to work out a deal since his client doesn't have a criminal record. "I feel bad for this lady, so I'm doing everything I can do to help her."

She's been held in Macomb County Jail in lieu of a $50,000 bond.

The driver of the Ram truck did not return calls for this report.

Del-Marie Headd said her daughter is upset by her actions.

"She's cried about it," she said. "We've all cried about it. But you know, stuff happens."

2. Watch_Their_Hands

Watch_Their_Hands New Member

Stupid. There is no excuse. These types of incidents only fuel anti-gun sentiments. While her family situation is a sad one, her actions are just a sad.

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

makes us all look really bad...people need to think before doing stupid crap like that.

4. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

True, for both the tailgating and the shooting.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

If I were to shoot at everyone that tailgated me on my way to and from work, I would need somewhere on 141 between Cumming and Norcross to buy 9mm and .380 ammo. I drive fast, but there's always someone behind me that thinks 55 in a 45 isn't fast enough. Either that or when I get into heavier traffic, there's someone that thinks their bumper has to be withing a six inches of mine at red lights.

6. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I had a scary incident with a guy who thought I was tailgating. mind you I was at least a 1/2 car length behind stopped at a red light in stop and go rush hour traffic but he got out and all 300 lbs of him started trying to bust my truck window in.

good thing my truck is FORD tough. Of course I was anti gun then so no defense means at all if he had got in.... sure am glad I got over my fear of handguns.

7. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Yeah, I know what you mean. I work on computers, sometimes late at night at other peoples offices. I was loading a machine into my car late one night to take it back to my office for repair. A guy came up asking for gas money. I told the guy no and he moved on. When he left I realized that there was not much I could have done if he had pulled out a weapon and demanded anything.

The next week I applied for my carry license.

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

I've had experienced incidents similar to both of you here in Atlanta metro. There was also an instance where someone visting at my neighbor's house came after me while under the influence of psychotropic drugs. The clencher for me was the Brian Nichols incident: if the combined efforts of the metro law enformcement can't stop a defendant on trial for violent offenses from stealing a firearm, killing people in the courthouse, car jacking a few others, and holding some women hostage in her own apartment then I better start watching out for my own hide.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

If you were under the influence of psychotropic drugs, how can you be sure it really happened? :wink: :lol:

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

USMC play nice. :roll:

11. Macktee

Macktee New Member

As a Ford retiree, I'm happy to hear that. Buy those Fords!

I can get X-plan prices for my friends on Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Mazda, Jaguar or Volvo vehicles. If anyone is interested, just send me a PM.

OK, on to my story...

The reason I applied for my GFL was something similar. I was in traffic. Heavy North Fulton Traffic. In other words, it wasn't moving.

I have no idea what set this guy off, but he pulled around me on the right, got out of his Mercedes and came toward me screaming and pointing.

Did I mention he was one of the largest black dudes I've ever seen?

At least 300 pounds. Looked like an NFL lineman. A BIG NFL lineman!

To this day I do not know what set him off.

By the time he got to me, I had my console cover about half open and my right hand stuck inside my jacket. He screamed at me. "Do you know who I am? You white mutherfreaker! I'm gonna kill you you white mutherfreaker! " And then he got ugly. Really ugly! And continued to threaten my life. Repeatedly.

About that time he noticed I was just looking at him politely and he also noticed the console was open and my right hand (which he couldn't see) was tucked inside my jacket.

He then backed away, screaming at me the whole way. The guy was literally frothing at the mouth. I've heard of that, but never seen it. It's not pretty. Not pretty at all.

I bought a S&W model 60 .357 the next day and have carried it in the car every day since and on my person every time I leave the house after I (finally!!!) received my GLF.

I don't know what set him off. I do know he easily could have killed me with his bare hands. Maybe just one of them...

I think I would react the same today, now that I really do have a gun. I've been told I would have been justified in shooting him based on his threats to my life. I don't know if I would. But just maybe, if it happens again, I will shoot the rude bastard!!!

Or not.

Having choices is nice.

To me, having a pistol is much like when I was a black belt. Knowing I can makes it easier to just walk away........

12. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

If you were under the influence of psychotropic drugs, how can you be sure it really happened? :wink: :lol:[/quote:2oms6ygd]
    Contrary to what my malformed sentence structure might indicate, I was not the one under the influence. There are some cops and EMTs that could testify to that fact. :D

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

As the comments section notes, the other driver probably ought to be charged, too.

14. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

So shooting at him isn't trying to kill him?

Where is the smoking crack smiley?

15. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Ooops! I thought you were talking about GlockGirl...

I'm afraid I'd have to agree, based on what I know of her.....................

Strange little blonde girl person...

Very little...

Very blonde...

And VERY DAMN strange!

But I like her anyway...

16. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

aw that's the sweetest thing I have been told all day. Just wait till you meet me sometime.... nothing cuter than a blonde shooting a glock..... or so I have been told

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I've seen Macktee's targets....he's not much of a threat... :D 8)

18. Macktee

Macktee New Member

But I save money this way because I'm able to reuse my targets several times.

After a day at the range, my targets frequently retain that "new target" smell and still look brand new.

What holes are in them are well spread out, leaving lots of space for more shooting.

You, on the other hand, completely waste most of your target space. Concentrating all your bullets in the head and "X" ring whilst leaving the rest of it untouched is a waste! You're throwing away targets that are still 90 or 95% free of bullet holes. Like I said... wasteful!

My method is much more cost effective.