RK vs Eastman gun shows

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by DKW, Jun 6, 2018.

1. DKW

DKW Active Member

I wanted to get peoples opinions on which is the best or is it worth it.

In middle GA, all we have is the Eastman shows and I am less than impressed for the cost of the entrance fee.

I have been to Eastman shows in Gwinnett when it was at the trade center and one in Marietta when it was at Jim Miller park. The one in Gwinnett was worth the entrance fee but the one in Marietta I didn't think was worth it. I have been to a RK show at the Atlanta Expo center which I thought was well worth the price.

How are the other RK shows in the Atlanta area compared to the Atlanta Expo show?

Trying to figure out if the drive and entrance fee is worth any of the other shows in the Atlanta area.

Thanks

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I will not go to an Eastman gun show. He has banned dealers that sell cheaper than all the other dealers (cherokee gun). I have also heard Matt has strong armed guns from dealers.

3. BG_Atl

BG_Atl Active Member

Not a comentary on the quality of either show - just an FYI

Matt Eastman passed away in 2015 and wasn't much involved in the show for a year or two before that. THe shows are under new ownership - although still in the family

4. Glockenator

Glockenator Active Member

Last time I went to one, over 15 years ago, I said I would never go to one again, and I haven't. Pretty sure that was an Eastman show (Cobb civic center).

I stood in line to get in (I despise feeling like I am standing in a flock of sheep being headed through a gate), I got in, and while it was cool to see stuff in person that I wouldn't see elsewhere, I came to a realization: You generally don't find good deals at gun shows (except maybe one stuff that is not in demand). Vendors go there to make money. Kinda like you will never not get cornholed when you trade in a vehicle (they have to make their money too). I found and bought a paratrooper SKS, which I couldn't find anywhere else, but I paid dearly for it.

5. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

Cherokee gun sells cheaper at shows. About 10 years ago I bought an ak for $399 from their store. The next week dad got one from them at the RK show for $379.

6. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I like the RK show at the Expo Center. It covers all the reasons to go to a gun show:

1) If you want to browse dealer tables, there's a good number of them. Cherokee is always there, so you can get a pretty dang good price.

2) Standing in line & walking around in a crowded exhibition hall is a good reminder just how many of us gun owners there are in the area. You can meet & talk to people, and if you're polite you might get to see, handle and learn about an old firearm that you wouldn't typically run across at a dealer's shop.

3) For casual sales, it's like a treasure hunt. You can often get a good price on a nice, used gun that's always been on your list, or one you didn't even know you needed...

UtiPossidetis and Bill-Columbus like this.
  7. DKW

DKW Active Member

Are the other RK shows about the same size as the one at the Expo?

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I've been to 2 R.K. shows snd several Eastman shows.
    They are very similar, in my opinion. I don't recall seeing any great deals at either.
    But there are a lot of guns available to feel and hold.

UtiPossidetis likes this.
  9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Not normally. That’s the big show.

10. Teeter

Teeter Active Member

I am one of the GCO recruiting coordinators (along with Goldwing) for the RK show at Atlanta EXPO Center. RK is generous with and supportive of GCO in every respect, so patronize their shows if you can. We always get a good location at a much-discounted rate and they save us a spot even when we forget to reserve one (like last time!).

Adam5 and UtiPossidetis like this.
  11. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Good to know, thanks. After the last couple I attended having pretty poor prices I have asked myself why I pay $17.50 at the door to go?

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The larger RK shows do have some deals to be had, if you look for them. It also doesn’t get to play one seller against another.