rights restoration

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by cooper9177, Sep 8, 2007.

1. cooper9177

cooper9177 New Member

I am having a lot of difficulty trying to find out what to do to regain my rights.
    I am hoping someone here could help.

2. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

:welcome:

You'll need to provide some details...

3. cooper9177

cooper9177 New Member

Back 11 years ago I made a few bad decisions and was hanging with the wrong crowd I went to jail for felony drug possesion. Since then I have been trying to recover from the consequenses. I met my wife and started rasing children. Now I want to start back hunting. I have found no info or who to contact about restoring my rights. So I figured maybe someone here might know.

4. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Was it in Georgia? Different states have different ways to go about getting your rights back. After 11 years, with no arrest since, you should probably be able to get your rights back but it will likely require a decent lawyer. The problem, is that if it was in Georgia, you probably couldn't carry a firearm (get a GFL), even if you got it expunged... because it was a drug conviction. I guess you could have one at home and hunt though. You really need to talk to a lawyer... I know on AR15.com in the Georgia forum there is a guy named DKING that may be able to ballpark you a cost associated with something like that...

5. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

Unfortunately, because of the felony conviction you are prohibited from possessing (owning, having on in the safe, having one in the hand) a firearm. At least until you have your rights restored. A GFL will forever be beyond your reach (unless the law changes) because of the drug conviction.

However, if you intent is to hunt, archery is not prohibited to you... and you have a longer season too!