Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a company wide memo that says no employee shall have a firearm in their vehicle in the company parking lot. Great! The entire place knows I carry daily. What a bunch of crap. I guess I'll start parking across the street.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I believe I would just tell them OK.

And that is the last I would ever discuss it with them. Unless it is a private parking lot, that they have under their control at all times. If it is open to the public, then just go about your business.

Never discuss it again. WITH ANYBODY!!!!!

Jerry

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Incredibly sad we have to hide exercising a constitutional right.

·
Registered
308 Posts
patrick4588 said:
You don't have the RKBA on someone else's property any more than you have the right to hold a political rally or kill a goat for your religion. If you do KBA after being told not to, you are violating their property rights, not the other way around. This is assuming that the company owns/controls the parking lot in question.

I'd still carry in my car and tell no-one.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RickN said:
How will they know what's in your car?
Other than assuming since it's been widely discussed in our office for quite a while, they won't.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RickN said:
patrick4588 said:
You don't have the RKBA on someone else's property any more than you have the right to hold a political rally or kill a goat for your religion. If you do KBA after being told not to, you are violating their property rights, not the other way around. This is assuming that the company owns/controls the parking lot in question.

I'd still carry in my car and tell no-one.
The company owns nothing. We are in a strip mall with about 10 other businesses. Everything is leased.

·
GPDO Commonlaw Spouse
5,514 Posts
Is it really the company parking lot then? You could be parking in a neighboring business' parking lot. Additionally, any parking spot could be occupied by a worker from another shop or customer. Do they have control over those individuals as well?

Why do they not want a gun in your car? What is having a policy about it going to accomplish? Is someone intent on shooting their coworkers going to be put off by a policy in the handbook? Are they going to point to it after a workplace shooting and fire the shooter? Kind of a moot point if the shooting is prosecutable, isn't it?

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
My company, and its not in any special or unusual business, prohibits weapons, ammo, booze, wine, and beer in your car and claims the right to search at will. The penalty is termination. Never heard of them ever searching anybody's car. Just eyewash for the insurance company probably.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
My company, and its not in any special or unusual business, prohibits weapons, ammo, booze, wine, and beer in your car and claims the right to search at will. The penalty is termination. Never heard of them ever searching anybody's car. Just eyewash for the insurance company probably.
They can't search without your consent - so the statement is ridiculous. Of course, they can fire you if/when they asked to search and you tell them to pound sand. Unless your golfing buddies with the CEO, you're stuck with these nonsensical policies.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I find it somewhat amazing that all of a sudden a big memo comes down from on high banning firearms in employees vehicles. Was there talk around the office?? Someone complain?? Lots of searching firearms websites on company time?? Armed robbery next door??
You said "the entire place knows I carry everyday". Seems this memo may be about you, you think???

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If the memo says you can not have it in your parked car then just carry it on you. There, problem solved :shattered:

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
And once they fire you, you can become disgruntled. Then their stinkin' rules not longer apply!!!

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
How can they enforce a policy contrary to state law? If you didn't sign it you didn't agree to it. Perhaps finding a different employer is a better option.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
My experience is that companies put all sorts of stuff in employee handbooks and the such that they know (or at least strongly suspect) can't be enforced. It's akin, in my view, to a police officer asking to search your car, where you're going, etc. - nothing stops them or makes it illegal to ask and if you volunteer to comply, then so be it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Let me be sure I got this right; it is a strip mall and they are telling you can't have a firearm in your car? What kind of BS is that? They don't even own their building, much less the parking lot! Man, that's some nerve!

If it were me, I'd focus on more productive battles (gotta pick your battles, ya know...) and do as recommended above. Put what you want in your car, shut up and go about your business.

·
Registered
846 Posts
fox said:
I just got a company wide memo that says no employee shall have a firearm in their vehicle in the company parking lot. Great! The entire place knows I carry daily. What a bunch of crap. I guess I'll start parking across the street.
The only place you can keep and/or bear is on your own property, everywhere else is by permission only...or at least that's what I'm told :p It may be a good idea to keep your resume updated, as I have already seen one person terminated for this type violation, and everybody else quickly snapped to compliance. Who knows, we may all figure out that we didn't need to be carrying guns in the first place :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=52900

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SheriffOconee said:
I find it somewhat amazing that all of a sudden a big memo comes down from on high banning firearms in employees vehicles. Was there talk around the office?? Someone complain?? Lots of searching firearms websites on company time?? Armed robbery next door??
You said "the entire place knows I carry everyday". Seems this memo may be about you, you think???
I don't think it' necessarilly about just me. We only have 5 employees here. All own at least 1 firearm. 2 of us hunt. 3 of us posses a GWL. We do occasionally talk guns around the office.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts