Rifled Slugs?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Mastino177, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I'm looking to kill bambi, his mother and his father...hell if he's got a sister I'll plant her too. My question is would my 590 mossy be harmed if I used SST Hornady's (rifled ballistic tips) out of my smooth bore. The shot would not be over fifty yards...if that. I've got plans for this gun and don't want to foul the barrel. I would like to use my M-4 and my glock 20 (10mm) this year as well...three deer with three different weapons.

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

NO problem. JUst be sure to use an open choke such as cylinder or improved cylinder.

3. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

It's just plain jane...the way it came from the factory. There's not any type of choke in there...it's actually a HD type gun. lol.

4. USMC - Retired

Most likely a cylinder bore then. If you put a dime in the end of the barrel is there room to wiggle it a hair? (assuming it's a 12 gauge)

5. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Yep, she's a 12 gauge gutter mouth. I can clearly lose a dime in the bore. It's smooth as ice.

6. USMC - Retired

Rifled slugs will be no problem then.

7. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

I'm going to the range tomorrow. What type of groupings should I expect with a bead sight @ 25 and 50 yards.

8. USMC - Retired

That depends on how long your shoulder holds out... :lol:

25 yards - the holes should touch or be real close if your point of aim is true.

50 yards a bit looser, really depends on the gun though...

9. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Whatever happens...that front shoulder won't be there. :lol:

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Pie Plate

I can keep a 11" group, about the size of a paper plate, at 50 yards with a slug shotgun. But lacking any back sight, it takes some practice to learn how high the bead is supposed to be above the top of the barrel in your "sight picture." Basically, I think it's about as accurate as an ordinary combat pistol.

11. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

yeah its more about sights, some of the new rifled slugs perform pretty damn well out of a smooth bore barrel.

i have a mossberg 835 and a rifled bbl w/ 3-9x32 scope and i have shot 4" groups at 100 yards. :shock: sighting in at a friends at 33 paces, i made one ragged hole with 3 shots. the trigger sucks on a shotgun for slugging but hey, you put a 12 ga size hole into an animal and it WILL DIE. most times, very, very quickly.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Is it better than a 9 mm? :D

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

No. 8)

14. moonchicken

moonchicken New Member

:rotfl:
    :pointlol:
    :rotfl2:

15. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Yeah...I thought that was funny too. :D

16. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

12 gauge is for whimps.

Try shooting a 3300 pound car at the deer. Velocity: 80 MPH.

Unfortunately, you can't reload the car and they don't sell cars at Walmart for $20/20.

But it is the only deer hunting projectile you can ride in. :D

17. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I've suddenly got the urge to get some cool wHip.

18. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

What is the performance difference between rifled slugs and a rifled barrel? Is there any downside to having a rifled barrel instead of a smooth bore?

19. USMC - Retired

Sabots through a rifled barrel will give you better performance than a rifled slug in a smooth barrel.

Downside to a rifled barrel is cost unless you don't plan to use the gun for anything else. Shooting anything but a saboted slug through a rifled barrel is useless as it spins the shot cup and making your patern open up right out of the barrel.

Good middle ground is a remington shotgun with screw in chokes. They make a rifled screw in choke for remingtons that gives a saboted slug nearly the same performance and through a fully rifled barrel.