Rifle shopping

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm looking at buying one of two rifles next weekend. My wife gets her annual bonus on Thursday and is giving me some play money out of it.

1)Vulcan Arms 9mm AR15 with 1 30 round mag for $650 (includes shipping, FFL fee and 3% surcharge for credit card use).

2) Romanian AK47 underfolder for $450 FTF (includes 2 30 round mags, sling and bayonet)

I'm not sure if I will have enough money for the AR though. What does everyone think of the two. Is $450 a good price for the AK? I don't own an AR and the only AK I have is my .223 Saiga.

Thoughts?

2. Macktee

Macktee New Member

I think you are married to the most wonderful woman in the world!!!

She's a saint for putting up with you!

She gives you money for your habit... I mean hobby.

Does she have a sister?

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I think you should do some serious research on Vulcan before you buy one of their products. Look for "Hesse" firearms. That's what vulcan was named previously and they were notorious for crappy weapons!!

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

the folding stock ak at the shop i bought mine at today was $499 and included 2 30rd mags, sling, bayonet, sheath, cleaning kit, ammo pouch, and oil can. i bought the wood stock one for $450 (the price tag was $500, but it range up $450, so that's what i got it for). So, I paid the same. I liked the feel of the wood stock better than the folding, IMO.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The reason she's giving me the money is because she got carried away at Jared Jewelers when getting her graduation present this afternoon.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

While I love my 9mm carbine (Ruger PC9), that seems like a lot to pay for a pistol caliber AR when you could be getting into a 5.56 for almost the same money.

AKs are cool, but I'm not a fan of folding stocks.

7. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Maybe that's my problem; my wife hates to shop!

She has several Coach bags, but I bought them for her. She has a fair amount of nice jewelry, some very damn nice, but I bought it for her. I have more shoes than she. She's impossible!!! When she bitches about my guns or woodworking tools, I don't have an answer. What to do... what to do???

You're a lucky guy! And I'm so much more deserving!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. legacy38

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

You could build an AR. It'd be cheaper that way and more fun.

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

What about an Olympic Arms AR15 in .223? I can get a new one for $599.

11. legacy38

I'm not an "AR guy", but from I know of them, I think you could build a better one for the same amount of money.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I decided not to spend the money on an AR. i can get a nice AK with shipping, FFL and 500 rounds of ammo for $150 less than the AR without shiing, ffl and ammo.

13. tony218

tony218 New Member

i've heard MANY very bad things about VULCAN ARMS ,never have
    i heard anything good about them.

14. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

If you have $600 to spend get you an AK74....youll love it. Ammo is cheap right now($120 for 1080rds) and mags are 12 for $70. Without a doubt the cheapest way to have alot of fun shooting right now!

http://rapidfire.targetweb.net/cgi-bin/ ... &ppinc=big

Here is the Bulgy that I built complete with a Bulgy flash suppressor and a 45rd mag. Still need to paint the receiver.....but you get the idea.

[​IMG]

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

16. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I would stay away from a Vulcan / Hesse gun.

I'm a big fan of my Century M70AB2 underfolder - it shoots great and is really solid. Its a 1.6mm receiver and has a great finish.

AK74's are plentiful and the ammo is cheap but unless someone starts making commercial 5.45 ammo I think the surplus supply could dry up in a few years. I dunno, I want one, but hell I already have enough calibers. With 3 guns using 7.62x39 i think I'll just stick with that.

Adam is that Romanian just a WASR underfolder for $450? For ust a little more you can get the Yugo M70AB2 which is a good step up from a WASR... you can get them for $439 from Classic Arms, so shipping + FFL you're probably at about 5 hundo.

if i can make the 6/16 shoot, you're welcome to try mine out.

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I think I'm going to go the AR15 route. I have several AR options that I'm lookign at.

18. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member