Rifle Shooting in/near Atlanta > 25 yards

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by rajl, Apr 16, 2007.

1. rajl

rajl New Member

Does anyone know a good place to shoot rifles in or near Atlanta? There are a few indoor ranges that allow it, but the distance is only 25 yards. Preferably, I'd want some place where I could shoot at 100 yards or more.

Currently, I drive about 4 hours to some land my family owns that is next to Fort Stewart, but I would love somewhere much closer.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

DeKalb Police Range. Info on this site (somewhere).

Outdoors. 200 yards.

Call before going for times when open to public.

3. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

I can not help you with the Alanta area. If you are around Stewart there is also a free public outdoor range east of Richmondhill on hwy 144 near Killkenny. Goes out to approx 150 yds+or-, Ft Stewart also has a 100 yd cost $5 but have to be active, reserve, guard, retired, coast guard.....

4. john

john New Member

Bob Simms in Palmetto on Tommy Lee Cook Rd. 20 min. south of Airport

5. rajl

rajl New Member

Does Bob Simms have a website or a phone number I can use for information. My google-fu turned up nothing.

6. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

Advanced bullets in Tucker. Probably 20-30 minutes from downtown. Targets at like 10 yards, 25 yards, 50 yards, 100 yards. You can also bust clays. I think it was 5 dollars an hour when I went maybe 3 months ago. Best kept secret around.

http://www.advancedbullets.com/

7. Malum Prohibitum

John, a little more info, please?

8. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Tucker? That site says Temple.

There's an outdoor range west of Atlanta
    Charlie Elliott
    I have not been there yet, but I've heard that it's a decent place to go. Supposedly a little crowded during the weekends though.

9. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

You're right... sorry my mind must have been wandering.

10. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Temple

I've been to the one in Temple. That's only like 10 miles from the Alabama line. But if you live on the west side of Atlanta, from the Airport to Vinings or even Marietta, it's not too far. It's a nice range. Fresh air and sunshine beat smoke and lead dust anyday.

11. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

And don't forget the wonderful smell whilst shooting outdoors.

Ahhh.... breathe deep.... :D

12. Mastino177

Mastino177 Member

Bob Simms is a private range I believe...might take some $$ to become a member. I need to find out for myself on that one. Advance Bullets in Temple, Lock Stock and Barrel in Grantville near Newnan. Oh, Autreys Armory in Fayetteville is a great indoor facility.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Is that outdoor? What kind of distance?

14. steelhorses

steelhorses New Member

A free range is Wilson Shoals WMA. It has a 100 yd range, it's a little north of Gainseville up 985.

A fee range I haven't been to yet but want to go badly is near Athens. It's a 700 yard range with iron deer targets, popup targets, even moving targets and someone who can give instruction/training if desired.

http://www.gunsitehills.com/

15. steelhorses

steelhorses New Member

There's an outdoor range west of Atlanta
    Charlie Elliott
    I have not been there yet, but I've heard that it's a decent place to go. Supposedly a little crowded during the weekends though.[/quote]

It's a very nice range but it had some limited hours if I remember right. best to check the schedule b4 you drive all the way there.

16. chrome_gnome

chrome_gnome New Member

We go to Sumac Creek, which is about 90 minutes north of Atlanta up highway 411 near Cisco/Chatsworth. It is located in a National Forest and has 25/50/100 yard target mountings and a covered concrete pad shooting area with wooden shooting benches and sitting benches. It has latrine facilites and costs $5/day (honor system) for parking.

http://www.fs.fed.us/conf/rec/shooting.htm

17. Malum Prohibitum

150 yards

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Creekside

Creekside range in Taylorsville (10 miles west of Cartersville) is not too far from Atlanta, or the I-75 suburbs (Vinings, Smyrna, Marietta, Kennesaw). They have a 100 yard range that's open frequently, and for special occasions they shoot at 300 or 500 yards. See their calendar for those matches or training clinics.
    http://www.creeksidefiringrange.com

19. SheriffOconee

SheriffOconee New Member

20. shagwag3n

shagwag3n New Member

Re: Creekside

+1 for a great establishment.