Rifle Scopes

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GTWolfman, Aug 28, 2007.

1. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

So I just got on the forums. . . and now I pose a question.

I am building an AR15. I am building of the long distance / varmint-type variant with a 24" bull barrell, long stock, etc.

Does anybody out there have any good scope recommendations for 100-500 yd target shooting? Obviously money is a consideration factor, but I am looking for best bang for the buck (no pun intended). I have been looking at Barska and Mueller Optics.. both of which seem to be really great scopes for the money. Any good or bad things to say about either of those?

Thanks

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

3. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I have a Bushnell 6-20X I got at wally world on sale for $45. Never had any issues with it.

But I don't really know scopes very well.

4. tace

tace New Member

I personally never bought one but you can check out CDNN's catalogue and they will have any and every scope for any price range. They are good to deal with, too.

5. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Are you wanting mil-dots to help out with hold-over, or a scope with a standard reticle?

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

At that distance you can't go wrong with an Aimpoint or EOtech.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Nothing but Leupold. VariX-III or Mark 4.

For 500 yards, you really want something that goes up to about 20X. Are you really going to be shooting much at this distance?

8. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

From what I have seen, I'd rather use a mil-dot scope. It makes adjustments easier. As for the other question of distance, I will prob be doing MOST of my shooting from 100 yds, but I would plan to do some 300 and 500. I was looking at scopes that were variable 6-24x, 8-32x, or even 10-40x. I have seen 10-40 x 50 mil-dot (illuminated) for under $500. That is why I was asking if anybody had anything to say about Barska or Mueller optics.

9. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

If money is not an object, get a Leupold Mark 4 long range tactical scope, and have a Horus reticle installed. :p

To be honest, you don't need a lot of magnification for long range. Some of the more seasoned shooters who participate in tactical and field sniping competitions use 3-9x, and still hit targets out to 1000 meters. The largest I'd get would be a 4.5-14x for any kind of distance.

Edit: for the typical AR build (barrel no longer than 20"), I would call this overkill - but that 24" bull barrel would beautifully pair with this scope. :p

10. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Just so you know, those would all work great at 300 to 500, but they are a real pain in the rear for 100 yards and under, unless your targets are going to remain perfectly still. I am speaking from experience, not conjecture.

I do not know of those specific names, but you cannot go wrong spending money on optics. It is one area where cheaper is probably not better.

Leupold VariX-III or Mark4 will not disappoint.

11. Hey thats whats on my AR :)

12. GTWolfman

GTWolfman Member

You have the Barska or the Mueller? or just a 10-40x?