Rifle Marksmanship Instruction -- GA Appleseed Shoot

Discussion in 'Training' started by David14, May 29, 2007.

1. David14

David14 Member

Are you a 'cook', or a Rifleman?

Sort of a long way off, but in November (3-4) there will be an Appleseed Shoot just outside of Toccoa. Since the bulk of the shooting is done at 25m, this is an ideal envronment to shoot your 10/22, then compare your score on the AQT (Army Qualification Test) with the guy next to you. Not exactly competition, but close enough.

This event teaches you to shoot from the 3 "field positions" - standing/offhand, sitting (or kneeling), and prone. No 'bench-potatoes' at Appleseeds (no bipods use, either)! I've shot at 3 Appleseeds and learned something new at each one.

The shoot is put together by the guys at rwva.org. Historically, they have been die-hard Springfield M1A shooters, but the recent spike in 7.62mm ammunition prices has "shown them the light" on .22's (especially the Ruger 10/22 with tech-sights) as a viable alternative for the 25m course.

Scaled-down 25m targets that simulate 300-400 yd shots are surprisingly challenging, and you don't have to spend 90% of your range time walking back/forth to reset targets.

Full-distance (out to 300 yards) shooting is planned for Day 2 of the event

Try some of the AQT targets from http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/acc.asp . These simulate 100-200-300-400 yard targets. The course of fire is printed on the target, which has 10 targets of 4 different sizes printed on it, and is about the size of a sheet of newspaper.
    100yds -- 10 rounds standing in 60 seconds
    200 yds -- start standing, load 2 rds, then assume seated pos'n; put 2 rds on 1st 200yd target, then reload w/ 8 rds, put 3 more in 1st target, then 5 on 2nd targets (all in 50 seconds)
    300yds -- start standing, load 2 rds, then assume prone pos'n; put 2 rds on 1st 300yd target, then reload w/ 8 rds, put 1 more in 1st target, then 3 on 2nd target, and 2 on 3rd (60 seconds).
    400yds -- load 10 rds, start and shoot prone. (5 minutes -- gravy points!)

The time limits, coupled with the multiple targets on most stages and the position changes, really make this challenging.
    This is the scoring system used at the Appleseed Shoots, too.

Unsolicited endorsement: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11137

Cost is only $45 for one day, $70 for both. Free to those under 21, so you can bring your son/daughter and the only extra cost is that $10.98 brick of .22LR you were going to buy anyway.

Free to active military, Guard, and Reserve members, too.

pm me if you need more details

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Thanks for the alert. I won't be able to make it, but I'll pass the info along to a few people that might be able to do it.

3. David14

David14 Member

Thanks, legacy!

We have had some good response to this program in Georgia, but nothing like the folks in Florida and Indiana have shown. Sure would be nice if we could field more Riflemen than Florida ....

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Proud to be of help.

5. David14

David14 Member

Lots of interest in this event on some other forums -- Pre-Registration is strongly encouraged!

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

$45 bucks to shoot a .22 at a target that is 25M out? Seems a bit pricey.

7. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

$45 is on the cheap side of an event like this. For example, a trophy match in IPSC would run $65 and a prize table match would run $125. Appleseed provides training. Unlike IPSC, its not sink or swim.

Putting on matches is surprisingly expensive. You've got to cover potapotties, targets, stands, tables, etc. I think its a great deal for $45

I'm thinking about doing it. We'll see if it fits in my families schedule.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Do you have to use a .22? It might be a good excuse to give my AR workout. :D

HHMmmmmm I wonder if I can convince my wife to let me get a .22 bolt and mag for it before then..........

9. David14

David14 Member

No kidding! Check out the prices of some of those Tacticoool carbine courses: what kind of Regular Joe Shooter has $400 or more to spend on own of those 2-day courses?

Appleseed prices are kept low solely due to one factor -- all the instructors are volunteers. Americans giving up their weekends off to teach fellow Americans (and recently Canadians) how to shoot safely and effectively. It's a beautiful thing!

Oh, no. Bring what you have. AR's, Garands, 10/22's, you name it -- they'll all be on the firing lines.

And, the new website is finally up and running: http://www.appleseedinfo.org/ashfoxgroup/

Check it out!

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

[/quote:epn1vpto]

I would bring my 1891 Argentine Mauser to give it a good workout, but I don't know if my shoulder could take that many 7.65x54 rounds in one day. :oops:

EDIT:

Nevermind, I can't fire 10 rounds through it in 60 seconds. That's not enough time to fire 5 reload and fire 5 more.

11. David14

David14 Member

Interest in this year's Appleseed shoots is WAY UP. Preregistration is strongly recommended -- you can do it via the website.

12. Foul

Foul New Member

13. David14

David14 Member

OK, how about $45 for instruction on shooting your rifle (.22, .308, whatever) more effectively?

Have you looked at the prices of the so-called 'tactical rifle' courses? You can pay upwards of $400 for those. I saw one advertised that teaches you to 'engage enemy targets with your carbine effectively at up to 25m'. No kidding -- they'll show little ol' me how to hit a target as big as myself ALL the way out to 25m? Woop-dee-doo.

How about a course that teaches you to effectively shoot little tiny (1") targets at 25m, so that when you can do that consistently, you advance to learning to shoot at full-distance? Here's the punchline -- if you can hit that 1" target at 25m, you can hit that 20" target at 500 yards. Good shooting technique is good shooting technique, regardless of distance. Once you have that mastered, teaching you to adjust your rear sight for elevation and 'doping' the wind is really not that hard.

14. spam_can

spam_can New Member

Just couldn't make the Florida shoot;

Bout 10 of us from FSN had priors. Shame, too, because I like the Road Ends Range.
    Have talked to some members that did make it, though, and they said I missed a really good shoot, and that it was well worth the price.

Do know that pre registration is highly recommended. Only way they can get a handle on how many supplies (targets, patches, etc) to bring.

May see you there if we can get out of Fl before then.

15. David14

David14 Member

Looking forward to it!

16. M249

M249 New Member

ETA: I get a 404 when clicking the link above.

I'm very interested in bringing "Betty" to this. I could definitely use some refresher training.

I wish Army marksmanship training was on par with the Marine Corps'. I think, even as an infantryman, we spent more time learning not to make googly-eyes at the support females than we did on marksmanship. :roll:

17. David14

David14 Member

Sorry 'bout that -- this WAS the website while the designer was working out the kinks. The real website is just www.appleseedinfo.org .

In addition to the Toccoa Appleseed in November, Hinesville GA will host one in Sept (15&16).

18. David14

David14 Member

Hey, a couple of you guys have already preregistered!

19. David14

David14 Member

So, did I meet any of you at the Gainesville gun show this weekend without knowing where I knew you from? I was manning the RWVA/Appleseed table both days.

20. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I have a couple of questions.

First is there a Military discount? Even if I am going to be in the reserves instead of active come November.

Second are there requirements on sights? I can use my NMR AR or I could throw something together with a red dot, it's all the same to me.