Rifle magazine swaps-- what's your technique?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gunsmoker, Apr 7, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A few weeks ago I took a tactical rifle and pistol course using my Mini-14 as the rifle.
    That course was obviously intended for AR pattern guns, as telescoping stocks, red dot optics, and trigger-finger magazine release button systems were critical to meeting the short time limits.

I was slow at swapping mags on my Ruger Mini 14, and while I haven't shot that gun much recently, back in the 1990s I was shooting it a lot, and I really knew it like the back of my hand. I also shoot an M1A and an AK-47 pretty regularly, and those magazines have the same type of release lever and toe-to-heel procedure to insert a new mag. You just can't stick on straight up into the receiver; it won't lock in if you do that.

What techniques do y'all use for getting faster magazine swap times on your tactical semi-auto rifles and carbines?

Are they any videos online showing the method you use?

How fast can you do a mag swap?

I am guessing that I can do a mag change TWICE AS FAST with an AR-15 than with my Mini 14, my M1A, or my AK.

There's a video on Youtube-- I saw it recently, but forgot to save the link or write down the name of it or the user who posted it-- comparing the magazine swap times on several different rifles with several different shooters (all experienced gun guys). The AR-15 was the clear winner.

Here's the drill they did:

With a chambered round and a magazine with one more round in it in his gun, the shooter stands at the low ready position. On the signal of the timer, the shooter raises the gun and fires twice (as rapidly as possible while hitting a big steel plate most of the time, about 25 yards downrange). Then the gun will be empty, both in mag and chamber (bolt may lock back on some models, but not the AK).

While the timer is still running, the shooter drops the empty mag, inserts a new one, closes the bolt or otherwise chambers a round, and then fires 2 more shots ASAP. The timer stops after the 4th shot is fired:

RESULTS: AR-15 in .223 was the fastest gun, with the several shooters all doing quick mag changes without any fumbling or cursing, with an average time of 6 seconds from the "GO" signal to the 4th shot going downrange.

The AK was second place, but it required 9 seconds on average, and that's NOT counting the one guy who fumbled with the second mag and had a hard time getting it to lock.

The M1A / M14 was even slower, with another shooter having a lot of trouble, and his 15-second time was not even counted. They threw that out and only averaged the rest of the shooters' times, and got 11 seconds.

Strangely, the Century Arms CETME / C308 was the worst one, at 13 seconds. That one has fairly short and handy 20 round mags, an easy-to-access push button release system, the new mags go straight up into the slot with no tipping or rock-to-lock technique. But they were slow anyway. Maybe the light weight aluminum magazines, when empty, did not drop free and had to be pulled out by hand. The fact that it didn't have any "locks open after last round" feature probably combined with the odd and unusual operation of the charging handle (located way forward on the left side of the barrel) made this a really slow one.

2. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

Let me bring a AK up and we will go to the woods somewhere and I will rapid fire in your direction. I bet you will very quickly shave some time off those swaps.:mrgreen:

Archangel likes this.

3. gunsmoker

well, that's not exactly the "technique" I had in mind...

I think I'd be more likely to fumble under that stress.

My legs dont go rubbery when I'm walking on my garage roof, cleaning the gutters 9 feet above the ground. But walking my house roof, on the high side 25 feet up, sometimes makes my legs tremble.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

My solution was to sell the Mini 14 and go with an AR. But you are on the right track. You run a mini like an AK. There was an instructor that really liked the mini but I can't remember his name.

5. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Magazine swap? My technique is to sell Pmags and purchase L5AWMs.

Scout706 likes this.
  6. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

I do it at what speed I can accomplish relevant to the situation and what I am holding. I cannot really say, grab, slip, drop and shove or whatever step in whatever order.

Nemo

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

"Fast" is relative. Are you on a public or private range? Yes? Then what's the rush? If it's just to impress the other shooters or make you think you've spent your money wisely then it's just all BS. Like taking a roadside field sobriety test.

Are you engaged in an actual gunfight with people shooting back at you? Yes? Then just follow this guy's technique and get back in the fight. A watch isn't necessary.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

You're not a real tacticool shooter if you can't name and do the steps in order. :lol:

9. OldWoreOutMarine

I had My doubts about Your conversion process but with that one word I do think You will make it. I commend you on that. Should you ever have to represent a Client in Court in My neck of the woods You will do well.:righton:

10. Nemo

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. And I do not wear camo either.

Nemo

11. Nemo

You forgot the minor detail on that. The-- to get out alive part.

Nemo

12. OldWoreOutMarine

We be in the modern age now.The Judge might give him 30 days contempt of court for his ancestors having burned down the Courthouse when the devil sherman came through.

13. Nemo

That light sentence would be to let the word spread so the local folk could find a proper tree for a community picnic. And get him there as the honored guest.

Nemo

14. gunsmoker

Sadly, mental illness is rampant in the community of gun owners.
    Nemo's willingness to make up jokes about lynching people shows how bad things are here.

How did we get here from a factual thread about techniques about changing magazines?

Oh, I forgot. There's no moderation here. Everything is a "free thought" exercise. Every thread, no matter what the OP is about, becomes a canvas on which to spew vomit and diarrhea and call it the equivalent of modern art.

15. OldWoreOutMarine

I'm sorry it seems I forgot My place. Will get My rear end back across the tracks asap.

16. Nemo

I won't. Unless I deem it necessary. I consider the tracks (or any lines discriminatory) and demand social justice.

And I never mentioned lynching. Whats wrong with a community picnic under the big tree :panic: and a guest of honor. Some people have to interpret things they don't like into anything they decide they don't like that morning.

Outrage plans selected for tomorrow? So I can make sure I don't offend.

This deserves a large type SHEESH and CRIMINATLEY.

Nemo

17. Scout706

Scout706 Active Member

Add time for shouting “cover me while I reload “. Army training.

18. Nemo

I try to keep the men on both sides of me covered all the time.

Nemo