Riffle Season Opens This weekend

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by luke0927, Oct 18, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

went and shot my .280 and my 30.06 still dead on....anyone else going to the woods?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

If I'm not in the woods it will be because I'm dead...

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I want to, but I'll be working Saturday. I still haven't found time to bring the 30-06 to the range. I haven't been hunting before and wanted to try it out.

4. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Never been hunting myself...Sometimes that fact makes me wonder why I am so infatuated with firearms.

But then I chalk it to the fact that I am so into military history. :D

I do want to try hunting, just don't know whether I'll have the patience. Not to mention ever finding the time to go to the hunter safety course.

5. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Yea, I've already done the safety course. I don't believe it is required if you're on private land.

6. USMC - Retired

Actually it is required for both private and public lands. The course is ten hours TOPS in most situations and can even be done online with a short two hour refresher and test for those that are really time crunched. BUT, if you can't find the time to attend the course I don't see how your going to find time to hunt anyway...

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm pretty much in the same boat. It would give me an excuse for getting a new rifle though.........

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Oh ok. Yea, I did the online one because that's the only one that was offered down here for some time. It's all common sense.

9. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:righton:

That's what it did for me :lol: I just happened to get a shotty while I was in there, too. :oops:

10. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Well I guess I won't be going hunting anytime soon...

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Been Hunting

I've been hunting and I don't think I ever want to fire a major-caliber rifle again without ear protection in place. I didn't have the greatest hearing before, but since I shot at (and bagged) a couple deer last season using my .308, my ears have been ringing more or less constantly. I only notice it in a quiet place, tho.

12. USMC - Retired

RD,
    Don't let my sermon keep you from hunting if you think you want to give it a shot. As a Hunters Education instructor I have a tendancy to get frustrated when folks view the course I teach as an hinderance or an obstical. I feel strongly about the value of the course and the message we try to send new hunters and sometimes I let it get the better of me. I will say that being a successful hunter requires a good deal of time. I would say that I spend a good two hours getting ready to hunt for every hour I actually spend hunting maybe even more. That being said I will offer myself up as a hunting mentor so to speak to any member here that wants to learn about hunting and is willing to put in the time. I normally take on a one of my students but have not done so yet this year.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Re: Been Hunting

Yea, if I get serious enough with it, I'll probably get some sort of electronic earplugs. That way you can still hear all the quiet noises, too.

14. USMC - Retired

Walkers Game Ear is the big one but they are pricey. Of course if they had them when I was younger I most likely wouldn't have hearing loss in my left ear.... :banghead:

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I figured they are pricey. But, then again, what part about hunting isn't?

16. USMC - Retired

Your Hunters Education Course! Free of charge and packed with good info! Best bargain around!*

* I may be a bit biased....

17. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I laugh at people who talk about free meat. I calculated it at about $40 a pound.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I imagine once you get all of the initial one-time costs out of the way, it isn't that bad.

19. USMC - Retired

Well there's still gas to get to your hunting spot and back both for actually hunting and for scouting and such, yearly license fees, ammo for pre-season sighting-in/practice and for the hunt itself, consumables like scent free wasing detergent for your hunting clothes, scent free deoderant, cover scents, attractant scents...

Pound for pound wild game is most likely the most expensive meat on the table.... and worth EVERY penny!

20. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

I have a taste for wild boar, ever since I ate a roast boar shoulder a few years ago that my boss had taken.

A little gamey but great nonetheless.