Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

revolver or 1911

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What should my next gun be? Im thinking about getting a revolver but then for the same money i could get a 1911....

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
If you have to ask.................then you ought not get the 1911. :roll:

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Depends largely on the revolver and 1911 models under consideration IMO. Revolver in SD caliber as a carry? Give us some examples, and do you currently have either platform?

There are a few revolvers that I wouldn't think twice about buying over a 1911 if the timing and price were right.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Yes, some additional info as to what your intended uses will be, would help us out in helping you out. :p

Pretty much gonna be a range gun, then go with your what your heart tells you.

While I do have a revolver here and there, I'm mostly a semi-auto kind of guy so that's what my initial recommendation would be.

:popcorn:

·
Registered
631 Posts
Hi R,

A 1911 is hard to beat, but a nice revolver is also a wonderful firearm too.

I think you shot at least on of my 1911's.
Drop me a line we can meet at Shooters if you want.
I have a few 38/357 revolvers , a 45 cal revolver too & a few models of the 1911 to help confuse you.

Best,
broomhandle

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have 2 M&P pistols and a Keltec pf9 so im looking for something a little different...the keltec is the gun for when i have no option but to cc...ive been looking at the S&W 340PD and the 360PD both are super light.. i have a revolver but its a 150 year old bp gun i doubt ill ever fire it. For the same or a little more money i can get into a Kimber 1911 or something similar too so im torn ive been wanting a revolver but ive been wanting a 1911 too maybe i should just get both :love:

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
broomhandle said:
Hi R,

A 1911 is hard to beat, but a nice revolver is also a wonderful firearm too.

I think you shot at least on of my 1911's.
Drop me a line we can meet at Shooters if you want.
I have a few 38/357 revolvers , a 45 cal revolver too & a few models of the 1911 to help confuse you.

Best,
broomhandle
dont believe i have shot any of your guns....i am in Augusta from time to time though

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
The scandium .357's are way overpriced. Your generally better off with an aluminum .38 like a 632 or 642. Most folks wind up using .38's in the scandium guns anyway and there is only a couple of ounces difference. J frames are great backup guns but too many folks carry just a j frame when they could carry something better like your keltec.

Of course the 1911 is a totally different. If your M&P's are all 9mm's I would recommend a Browning HP instead. Same basic design but in 9mm. If one is a .45 a 1911 is a different enough design to keep you busy for a while.

I love 1911's they are a great design for shooting, but I don't carry one these days (maybe on a special occasion). To heavy and not enough ammo. I can't afford to shoot the things much these days either. Pure economics has pushed me to .22 & 9mm. I shoot my 22/45 a lot. 1911 controls and .22 cost.

·
Just a Man
6,056 Posts
I'd buy a used RIA Tactical .45ACP (better sights than GI and beavertail) and a used S&W revolver of your choice. Then you can have both and have all the fun you want.

BTW, don't let anyone tell you the RIA is a cheap and unreliable 1911. I had one, and wish I had it back. Oh, and don't go buy anything other than a 5" Government model. You can't buy your first 1911 and it not be the real deal. :D

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ber950 said:
The scandium .357's are way overpriced. Your generally better off with an aluminum .38 like a 632 or 642. Most folks wind up using .38's in the scandium guns anyway and there is only a couple of ounces difference. J frames are great backup guns but too many folks carry just a j frame when they could carry something better like your keltec.

Of course the 1911 is a totally different. If your M&P's are all 9mm's I would recommend a Browning HP instead. Same basic design but in 9mm. If one is a .45 a 1911 is a different enough design to keep you busy for a while.
my M&P's re 9mm for the compact and 40 for the full size...

Samuel Adams said:
i guess there always is that option :lol:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
rmodel65 said:
ber950 said:

my M&P's re 9mm for the compact and 40 for the full size...
If I didn't own a .45 I wouldn't buy one, because right now I am trying to consolidate calibers. I don't intend to get rid of all my .45's but they are not on the deep stock list. If you reload .45 isn't too bad if you shoot lead, but I don't reload these days.

If you just have the hots for a 1911 the RIA are pretty good guns. The problem is 1911's are like pretty girls, they liked to be dressed up and taken out on the town and be finicky about what they eat. They can get addictive real fast.

If I owned what you have I would go for a M&P Pro next. Either a 9mm or a .40 with a conversion barrel. Same size as a 1911.

Me I want more Glocks. When I get a 34, I will probably get rid of the target 1911.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Im gonna say get a revolver. They are fun to shoot and i like the reliability of them. Dont get me wrong I love 1911's and plan on getting another but a revolver is just fun. No limpwristing and you can load it from wild to mild depending on your kicks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I <3 my 642. I put Hogue rubber grips and a trigger spring kit on it, which made a world of difference. I have trouble concealing it the front pants pocket of my jeans, but back pocket, cargo pocket, jacket, etc all works fine. It's fun to shoot and you have a wide range of ammo possibilities (it's inexpensive to shoot too, which one can't say for .45).

This is my second revolver, I had a SP101 for a while too that I really liked. It's a little big for CC, but a fun gun to shoot as well. I'm hoping to get a Detective Special soon...

I also had a Kimber Crimson Carry that I really enjoyed, it was a great gun, just avoid mags with metal followers and follow the break in procedures well. I ended up selling it because I couldn't afford to shoot .45 as much.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,725 Posts
If you go for a 1911, get a strong one that can be converted later to .460 Rowland. It'd make a mighty fine bear pistol. :D

The list of models that Clark Custom Guns recommends is at: http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/rowland.htm

·
Die Hard GCO Recruiter
6,763 Posts
Neither.......go tupperware.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts