Revolver-only class

Discussion in 'Training' started by gunsmoker, Sep 27, 2018.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Legacy 38's got a class coming up just for users of wheelguns. Big or small, long barrel or short. All kinds of revolvers.
    IMG_0031.JPG
    You know, that kind of gun with 5 or more chambers but only one barrel, and no magazines?
    Gun nuts "of a certain age" recall a time when revolvers were standard for nearly all cops, private armed guards, detectives, etc. Even MP's and Defense Department armed guards at high security installations carried revolvers, even while combat troops were issued 1911's.

The cost is reasonable, and all Legacy's training comes with high recommendations.
    Watkinsvile is a heck of a long drive from me, though. I'm not sure if I want to put that mileage on my car and burn up a half-tank of gas.

I'll say this, though: Plenty of people carry .38 snubby, small-frame revolvers but rarely shoot them, and never practice quick reloading with a speedloader or speed strip. Small frame .38's are not fun to shoot. They have heavy DA trigger pulls, a frustratingly-short sight radius, the sights themselves are too small and not colored or highlighted on most models of guns, and you can only shoot a few shots before you have to pause to reload. RESULT: People carry these guns a lot and shoot them very little. Look at all of the small revolvers for sale here and other gun sites with a Buy /Sell / Trade section. So often they are advertised as "low round count, no turn line on cylinder, action is as tight as new" but "has holster wear and some scratches on finish, small chip in stock." Typical for a gun that's carried a lot and shot little.

GO OUT AND SHOOT THOSE SNUBBY REVOLVERS. Even better, get some training to shoot them better, faster, and more safely.

Info on class from recent e-mail:

You are invited to the following event:

REVOLVER CLINIC
    Event to be held at the following time, date, and location:

Sunday, November 11, 2018 from 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM (EST)

Watkinsville
    Watkinsville, GA 30677

Come learn skills specific to running a wheelgun. The class is beginner friendly and 5-shot revolver friendly. Skills will include loading/unloading, shooting fundamentals, reloading, and more. Equipment:

• A double action revolver (rimfire or centerfire)
    • 100 rounds of ammunition
    • Eye protection, hearing protection, and a brimmed hat/cap
    • Optional: speed loaders, speed strips, a holster capable of holstering the pistol one-handed
    • Note: There will be opportunity for those who would like to work from an ankle or pocket holster.
    Cost:

Tuition for this class is $50.00.

___________________ MY PIC __________________________
    IMG_0048.JPG
    IMG_0031.JPG

2. gunsmoker

IMG_3266.JPG

Can you see what's wrong with this picture? That's my hand, about to do a timed exercise where I use a speedloader (HKS-36) on a friend's early 1990s era Rossi small frame with a 3" barrel.

(The fact that a couple of the rounds in the speedloader are expensive, +P premium hollowpoints is not the problem. After years of carrying them, I intended to burn them up at the range this day.)

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Either the gun desperately needs cleaning or you are attempting to do a speed load right handed and you're right handed.

4. gunsmoker

The gun was clean enough.

The pic isn't an action shot. That's a posed pic, taken a minute before I began the drill.

Yeah, I'm right handed, but I always switch the gun to my left hand and kick out the empties left-handed while using my now-free right hand on the speedloader. Then I swap the revolver back into my right hand once it's reloaded. (The speedloader gets dropped to the ground). So that's not the problem either.
    I can't use my left hand for manipulating revolver speedloaders, or anything fast that requires good eye-hand coordination. Though if you let me take my time and aim slow-fire, I can shoot nearly as well left-handed as I can right-handed. Just not rapid fire.
    I can use my left hand to swap magazines on a semi-auto pistol that stays put in my right hand. But not with a revolver and a speedloader.

No, the problem is something else, and it's got nothing to do with me or any other shooter's individual characteristics. This is a problem with the hardware, not the tactics.

5. gunsmoker

I use speedloaders with the technique used in this 1988 Indiana State Police training video. Specifically from 2:08 to 3:00 in this video.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  6. gunsmoker

While I don't use full moon clips, I do have this in common with Jerry Miculek-- we both shoot right-handed, then use both hands to open the cylinder, then eject the empty cases with only the weak (left) hand while the right hand grabs the speedloader, the right hand inserts the speedloader, and then both hands go back on the gun to close the cylinder and start moving the gun to the right hand firing grip as it comes back up to the target.

See Jerry's video here:

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Yeps, those Hoosiers know how to reload a wheelie. Thats how I learned and do it.

Nemo

8. Marine6212

Marine6212 Active Member

I'm no wheel gun expert! I think I see the problem, the hammer is down pushing on the firing pin not allowing the wheel to close?

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Is that a six shot loader and a five shot gun?

10. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

And here I thought only Cowboy Action shooters still used those antiquated weapons......:lol:

11. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Sheesh and Criminatley, someone help that dude (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dude) out and show him the difference between a single action and double action revolver.

Nemo

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

They both spin and go bang and give you limited opportunities to miss. You're talking like 1911/P35 vs Modern DA/SA right? :rotfl:

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The hammer is broken...

14. gunsmoker

HINT--- The problem I had, was that I could not use that speedloader with that gun. Even though the hole spacing in the cylinders of any J-frame S&W are the same as the small-frame Rossis. That HKS-36A has the right 5-chamber hole spacing. Its locking and release mechanism worked fine. But it wouldn't work for that Rossi that day.
    The reason is visible in the photo if you know what to look for.

15. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

The issue I usually run into with these is that either the cylinder release or the stocks interfere with the speed loader. Requires rotating the cylinder while loading to get all the rounds to drop into the appropriate chamber. Less of an issue with safariland style push to release loaders than HKS style twist to release loaders.

16. gunsmoker

"...or the stocks interfere with the speedloader."

43B9650F-2EFF-4612-85C6-4DDFCDBB550B.jpeg

Ooh, that's a Bingo!

The left stock (grip panel) whatever you call it isn't "relieved" (I think that's the term) for the body of a speedloader to clear.

This Rossi's wood needed to be ground down about 1-2 mm at the top of the left grip.

17. xd45packer

xd45packer Member

The factory rubber boot grips for S&W J frames have this issue, while the rubber combat style grips do not ( I do not have experience with their factory wood or other material stocks). After market hogue grips have massive interference in this area. The VZ stocks I have do not have this issue.

18. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Definitely an issue

19. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Oh boy! Can I bring my 6 1/2" 44 magnum?!

20. gunsmoker

B1761F2C-3B54-4641-B9D6-FBFEE45D7CA4.jpeg Another situation where old revolver stocks, made back before speedloaders became popular among law enforcement, won't allow a speedloader with even .38 spl rounds to be inserted fully and correctly.