Revolver Failures

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by gunsmoker, Sep 4, 2016.

1. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

A lot of people think that revolvers don't malfunction. Like, it's impossible or something. I agree that wheelguns are inherently more reliable, and more forgiving of imperfect ammo, but...

... today I had a S&W Model 15 (K-frame, 4" bbl. police revolver, .38 spl) jam. The cylinder stopped turning after 3 rounds. It took nearly all my strength to pull the trigger for the 4th shot-- probably 25+ pounds on that trigger pull. The cylinder was difficult to open, too.

The ammo was low-pressure 148 grain wadcutters. Remanufactured.
    THe fired cases looked normal. No backed-out or flattened primers. No defects that I could tell on the case heads or rims.

I don't know what went wrong. We kept shooting the gun, and the problem never recurred in the next 50 rounds before the end of the range session.

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Any new scrapes or marks on the outside of the cylinder?

3. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Cylinder binding seems to be a thing for revolvers. I'd never heard of it until I got an SP101. It binds up a lot. I'm on the verge of calling Ruger, but wanted to try taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning and lube. It has had only maybe between 100-200 rounds so far.

4. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

Crap getting under the star ejector locks them up fast. Ejecting with the muzzle up minimizes the likelihood of that happening. I've locked my GP 100 up before and a tooth brush under the star fixed it. With full power magnum loads, it doesn't seem to matter how I eject them, but with special loads, muzzle up ejection works better.

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Just a guess...

Magtec wad cutters?

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My old EEA (before the Windicator series) revolver gets very stiff after 75 - 100 rounds.

I took it to Brian Ott, why said that the tolerances on it are just tight, and that unless I run very clean ammo, it's going to do that.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Not before I pounded the cylinder open with that framing hammer I keep in the trunk.

;)

8. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

My SP101 had that issue as well. I sent it to Ruger(they made me pay the shipping) and they either replaced or straightened the crane. My theory is carrying IWB between my hipbone and the belt bent it.

9. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

I want to add that once it happened to my SP I no longer trusted it as an EDC, figured I might as well go semi.

10. ber950

ber950 Active Member

This is the most common problem with revolvers. Powder under the star or in between the crane and frame. Unlike a bent crane this problem goes away sometimes mysteriously as it appeared.