Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

revolver a good choice for a first time gun owner ?

4K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  brianh 
For a First Time gun owner, a good revolver is IMHO without a doubt your best choice. A good Smith or Ruger is your best bet. If you can find a Colt for a good price buy it, hide it and treasure it. Then go get a Smith or Ruger to shoot. A Taurus or EAA or such is an option but your first should be one you pass on to a grandkid. Make it a Colt, Smith or Ruger. They work better. And you cannot buy a second First Gun. Reliability-wise a wheelgun is best. Safety wise, same. Ease of use, again.

I would also suggest going with a .357, so you can shoot heavy or light. Test various models as far as grip angle, size, weight and all that. Go at least a 4 inch barrel. 6 inch is also a good choice. Do not go 2 inch.

If you end up with an older S&W model 10 or 15 in just .38 or such make sure they are +P rated.

I am a wheelgun guy from way way way back. You are considering your best option and of all that are out there, my recommendation to you is the Smith and Wesson 686, 4 inch barrel.

Nemo

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...57769_757767_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

One more thought. You state FIRST TIME GUN OWNER. Do yourself a big big favor.

Make it a METAL one, from one end to the other, all around the curves and springs and lines and knurls. The vast majority of new semi-auto handguns made today are a significant portion Plastic. And yes the plastic fantastic may be a bit lighter and easier to shoot, cheaper to fire by caliber cost and all those things.

A wheelgun may be more expensive to shoot, a bit tougher to get on target and all the bad things people can think of. But they are not. Its a Wheel Gun. And remember, this is your First Gun. Trust me, 10 or 20 or however many years from now you will look back and think-- that old ____ was the first one I ever got. Make it one of memory and metal, not some piece that just squeezes out of a machine and clacks down the assembly line.

There are many things I talk about with some little bit of knowledge on. But on this, I know that of which I speak.

I shall say no more on this.

Nemo

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.