Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/25181234/detail.html

They are good for the environment, but reusable grocery bags are also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Many responsible shoppers carefully choose their groceries and put them into the same cloth or plastic bags over and over again on every trip to the store.

“Did you ever wash your grocery bags?†asked Call7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta.
This is a poorly written article, but I think it still conveys a useful point. Those reusable grocery bags that are being brought into stores are simply breeding grounds for bacteria. I think that the following statement from the comments section of that article says it best:

PW

Anyone that works in a store (which I do) can tell you how disgusting these bags are. Besides the bacteria, we deal with ants, cockroaches and everyones new favorite, bedbugs. When you encourage or insist that a thousand people a day bring something from their home into your store you are going to spread diseases and infestations. Cashiers must be allowed to wear disposable gloves that end up in the landfill and the increased use of insecticides in the store is inevitable. Your purchase is only as sanitary, safe, and "organic" as the person before you in line.
At the very least, I think it would be a good idea to throw your cloth bags through the laundry after every trip. Of course, then you start running into problems with water usage. It's funny how 'green' ideas often have markedly bad-for-the-environment consequences. Maybe a biodegradable bag that's one-use-only is the solution.

·
69,318 Posts
I saw a cashier with plastic disposable gloves on . . . I was wondering what that was about.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
I saw a cashier with plastic disposable gloves on . . . I was wondering what that was about.
Prolly afraid of handling all that nasty, dirty money.....

Do you know where your dollar bills have been... :lol:

·
Registered
488 Posts
BG_Atl said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":3322n3tx]I saw a cashier with plastic disposable gloves on . . . I was wondering what that was about.

Do you know where your dollar bills have been... :lol:[/quote:3322n3tx]
:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
PawPaw x 3
8,618 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
After taking a microbiology class years back, my situational awareness involving the cashiers everywhere but most definitely at restaurants has definitely been increased

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
BG_Atl said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":3175j6zn]I saw a cashier with plastic disposable gloves on . . . I was wondering what that was about.

Do you know where your dollar bills have been... :lol:[/quote:3175j6zn]

:shock: Now that I think about it.........

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
BG_Atl said:
[quote="Malum Prohibitum":1a5wby3r]I saw a cashier with plastic disposable gloves on . . . I was wondering what that was about.

Do you know where your dollar bills have been... :lol:[/quote:1a5wby3r]
if youve ever had a dollar bill that ive had, then you can feel safe knowing that i let a fart go on it at one point that permanantly sterilized it.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
BirdMan said:
Maybe a biodegradable bag that's one-use-only is the solution.
I believe these exist. It is a plastic made from vegetable oil or something similar, as I recall.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
ChipM said:
BirdMan said:
I believe these exist. It is a plastic made from vegetable oil or something similar, as I recall.
I think it is called paper or something like that.

We use the reusable bags alot and especially the insulated bags. The cloth bags get tossed in the wash with a load of towels. The insulated get wiped out with bleach after each use.

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,412 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Whenever I see that sort of thing, I wonder how many will scratch their nose or face because of an itch, without thinking about it, and pretty much negate the gloves.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
BirdMan said:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/25181234/detail.html

They are good for the environment, but reusable grocery bags are also a breeding ground for bacteria.

Many responsible shoppers carefully choose their groceries and put them into the same cloth or plastic bags over and over again on every trip to the store.

“Did you ever wash your grocery bags?†asked Call7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta.
This is a poorly written article, but I think it still conveys a useful point. Those reusable grocery bags that are being brought into stores are simply breeding grounds for bacteria. I think that the following statement from the comments section of that article says it best:

[quote:3kxrkto6]PW

I've said that for years. Everyone ( ie. environuts and those they have brainwashed) wants electric cars. Apparently it never occurs to them that like gasoline, electricity has to come from somewhere. Currently, most of it comes from burning coal.

duhh, huh.

Anyone that works in a store (which I do) can tell you how disgusting these bags are. Besides the bacteria, we deal with ants, cockroaches and everyones new favorite, bedbugs. When you encourage or insist that a thousand people a day bring something from their home into your store you are going to spread diseases and infestations. Cashiers must be allowed to wear disposable gloves that end up in the landfill and the increased use of insecticides in the store is inevitable. Your purchase is only as sanitary, safe, and "organic" as the person before you in line.
At the very least, I think it would be a good idea to throw your cloth bags through the laundry after every trip. Of course, then you start running into problems with water usage. It's funny how 'green' ideas often have markedly bad-for-the-environment consequences. Maybe a biodegradable bag that's one-use-only is the solution.[/quote:3kxrkto6]

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Sine Nomen said:
spotco2 said:
ChipM said:
BirdMan said:
I think it is called paper or something like that.
FTW!
And they make the best garbage bags, too.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
no not good

each one uses one billionth of one percent of a tree

and that tree is gone forever, never to be replaced

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
New2Atlanta said:
no not good

each one uses one billionth of one percent of a tree

and that tree is gone forever, never to be replaced
Trees are a renewable resource, though. Aren't we supposed to use renewable resources?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Bkite said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
After taking a microbiology class years back, my situational awareness involving the cashiers everywhere but most definitely at restaurants has definitely been increased
My wife has a degree in biology and, since attaining that degree, has refused to go swimming in Lake Allatoona or any other lake around here.

I sometimes don't understand how I survived childhood without a bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket at all times.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
dunkel said:
Bkite said:
Malum Prohibitum said:
My wife has a degree in biology and, since attaining that degree, has refused to go swimming in Lake Allatoona or any other lake around here.

I sometimes don't understand how I survived childhood without a bottle of hand sanitizer in my pocket at all times.
Keep that hand sanitizer stuff up and we're all going to be eaten alive by super-resistant ultra mega bactevirupriofungi.

I know it's true. This guy told me and I saw it on the Internet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts