Retired US Supreme Court Assoc. Justice calls for repeal of 2A

Discussion in 'In the News' started by UtiPossidetis, Mar 27, 2018.

1. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Retired Supreme Court Justice Stevens says Second Amendment should be repealed | Fox News

John Paul Stevens, the 97-year-old retired Supreme Court justice, is calling for the repeal of the Second Amendment and is encouraging anti-gun protesters to do the same.

Stevens, once the leader of the court's liberals, said the “schoolchildren and their supporters” who have been demonstrating against school shootings should “seek more effective and more lasting reform.”

2. johnski

johnski Well-Known Member

Repeal of the 2nd Amendment is a prelude to exterminating the people they do not like.

rle737ng likes this.

3. Aleksfoxtrot

Aleksfoxtrot Active Member

Basic human right to self preservation and defense predates the US Constitution. If they repeal it, it still wouldn't revoke that basc natural right. They won't get it done this decade. But with as much has changed in 10 years it could be a reality in the future if we don't change the hearts and minds of the public.
    If they did that it would mean the split of this entire country and another war for independence. And it wouldn't be pretty. A lot of innocent lives would be lost.

4. GlockGary

GlockGary Glock Block Supporter

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/27/5972...-stevens-calls-for-repeal-of-second-amendment

"In an op-ed in Tuesday's New York Times, the 97-year-old Stevens writes that a constitutional amendment "to get rid of" the Second Amendment, "would do more to weaken the N.R.A.'s ability to stymie legislative debate and block constructive gun control legislation than any other available option."

The Second Amendment states that "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Stevens called that concern "a relic of the 18th century," and says repealing it would eliminate the only legal rule that protects sellers of firearms in the United States."

5. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It would without question remove the rule but I fear the reaction to such action. I fear the reaction to an action such as this would not be equal and opposite.

6. tmoore912

tmoore912 Just a Man

No big surprise here since Justice Stevens was one of the 4 dissenters in Heller. The bigger issue (Yeah for us) is he is playing right into the pro-gun political game. This helps get the vote out during the midterm elections. Midterms for conservatives have historically low turn out and this should keep that from happening hopefully.

Good thing for us is that it seems the Democrats just can't help themselves when it comes to banning guns/gun control.

Everyone's favorite Left coast constitutional professor Adam Winkler even thinks it's a bad idea to be calling for this measure. He has a good thread on twitter about it.

Adam Winkler‏ @adamwinkler Link to tweet thread
    Adam Winkler Retweeted .

Retired Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens pens an op-ed calling for repeal of the Second Amendment.

He’s wrong - even (especially) if you agree with Stevens’s goal of better gun control. (Thread)

Adam Winkler added,

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Dude is 97 years old. Dementia has obviously taken hold of him...

EJR914 likes this.
  8. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Same "stuff," different day. He's written these before. I firmly believe someone called him up and asked him to do another.

https://pjmedia.com/blog/justice-stevens-and-flexible-history/

See also
    https://www.georgiapacking.org/threads/law-symposium-features-retired-justice.258124/#post-2658995

His logic facilities are such that if donating money is a form of free speech, then burglary is an activity protected by the First Amendment.

https://www.georgiapacking.org/thre...d-and-remanded-5-4.214773/page-4#post-2293917

EJR914 likes this.
  9. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

This is a huge concern when you hear people calling for a Constitutional Convention. All the rules can be discarded in favor of new rules, regardless of what anybody says.

Self-preservation, however, doesn't require any rules or anyone's approval.

And considering what we've seen governments do in the 20th century, we aren't going to fall for that trick again.

10. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I'll kick the one foot that's not in the grave yet /sarcasm

11. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I don't get my rights from a government that claims I signed and agreed to a social contract I never signed or agreed to at birth or at 18, I was inherently born with ability of ownership of whatever weapons I want for self-defense and my use of self-defense when I became aware.

That social contract crap means nothing to me.

GlockGary likes this.
  12. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Then leave here and go where ever you think you can get the contract on paper and still stay if you disagree with and won't follow those rules.

Nemo