Resturants that don't sell alcohol?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by GAGunOwner, Mar 23, 2006.

1. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Can we please make a list of individual resturants and or chains that do not sell alcohol for "consumption on the premisis"?

If it is an idividual resturant could you state the location. If it is a chain, such as McDonald's, stating that is enough.

I am mostly interested in the Metro Atlanta area but we should add all of Georgia for everyones benefit.

I really want to know of some places that I can go eat dinner, other than fast food, with friends/ family without disarming.

Edited by Gunstar1, to create list

List now located at https://www.georgiapacking.org/gflnol.php

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Fisherman's Catch

Family owned seafood place on Hwy 78 towards Snellville. Very nice place to take the family. Closed on Sunday and Monday.

IHOP
    Not just for breakfast anymore they have some good dinners.

Waffle House
    The highway rest stop. There are more of them and its legal to carry.

Steak & Shake
    Sort of fast food.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My favorite - Cracker Barrel :D

And, of course, there is my son's favorite, McDonalds, but he's only four.

McDonalds is, by the way, the only restaurant to have been tested in the appellate courts of this state and approved as a "carry zone"!

State v. Burns, 200 Ga. App. 16 (1991)
    Appellee was arrested at a McDonald's restaurant [and] . . . had a valid gun permit. . . . . [H]e was charged with carrying a deadly weapon to a public gathering (OCGA § 16-11-127). The trial court granted appellee's motion to dismiss the accusation, stating that McDonald's was not a public gathering as contemplated under the statute, and the State appealed.
    OCGA § 16-11-127(b) provides that a "public gathering" includes but is not limited to "athletic or sporting events, schools or school functions, churches or church functions, political rallies or functions, publicly owned or operated buildings, or establishments at which alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption on the premises." The State argues that the statute seeks to protect people from injury at public gatherings, caused by others who bring deadly weapons to such places and does not exclude an establishment such as McDonald's, which is a place where the public lawfully gathers. However, this broad interpretation equates "public gathering" to "public place" and blurs the distinction we must assume the legislature intended to make in specifically referring to gatherings in OCGA § 16-11-127 and by limiting its restriction to gatherings as opposed to proscribing the carrying of deadly weapons in public places as defined by OCGA § 16-1-3(15). We agree with appellee that such a construction would render licensing statutes unnecessary because of the potential of violating the statutes by carrying a weapon outside one's household, in public, where the possibility exists that people might gather around someone carrying a weapon. We have held that a conviction was authorized when a weapon was brought to a place where "people were present" (Jordan v. State, 166 Ga.App. 417(4), 304 S.E.2d 522 (1983) [the auto auction case, M.P.]), and it appears from reading subsection (b ) and giving the words their ordinary meaning that the statute should apply, in addition to the situations described therein, when people are gathered or will be gathered for a particular function and not when a weapon is carried lawfully to a public place, where people may gather. Accordingly, the focus is not on the "place" but on the "gathering" of people, and in our view, the court did not err in dismissing the accusation because appellee's possession of a weapon and mere presence in a public place did not constitute a violation of OCGA § 16- 11-127.
    Judgment affirmed.

I bolded what I thought important.

" . . . for a particular function . . ." I think that is the most important language in the case. I really think the only difference between this case and Jordan, cited therein, is that Jordan was up to no good and Burns was just lawfully carrying when he ordered a cheeseburger. Since public gathering cases almost always involve a criminal, the case law is usually bad.

4. Malum Prohibitum

5. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

Sweet Tomato's. (at the wife's request. not enough meat for me ;) )

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

where is sweet tomato?

7. Malum Prohibitum

An acquaintance of mine actually shot and killed an armed robber in one of those.

8. EagleEye920

EagleEye920 Member

There's one in Alpharetta near North Point Mall.

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

That is my point at least it is legal to carry there unlike the highway rest stops owned by the state.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

There probably are, I know some places around Rome have laws about no liquor stores, and no hard liquor can be sold at restaurants located there.

11. One next to Gwinnett mall too.

12. bradsgt

bradsgt Guest

Hardee's, Huddle House, Shoneys, Captain D's

13. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

Subway
    Blimpi
    J.Christopher's
    Atl Bread Co

14. Ryan's, Golden Coral, Fire Mountain.

15. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

The Golden Coral in Douglasville regulary employs a private armed security guard. I have seen them there every time I have went to eat there. Does anyone else know if any other Golden Corals' have armed security guards?

16. Malum Prohibitum

Does this matter to the discussion, or are you just curious?

I am curious - do you mean off duty police, or private security people?

17. john

john New Member

resturants

Ryans in Clayton Co. use S. O. as security they dont ask i dont tell.( is that a pistol in your pocker or are you sneaking out a drumstick)

18. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

I am merely curious and yes it was a private security guard.. armed with a Ruger P90

19. jrm

jrm Sledgehammer

Golden Corral in Alpharetta has uniformed LEO (i.e., not private) security.