Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was young and dumb, he was convicted of a felony controlled substance. He has completed his sentence and enough time has passed that he is eligible to apply for a pardon. What are his chances of having his firearms rights restored and is there an attorney who can help him. He has'nt been in any trouble since and has re-established himself with family and work. Thanks

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
Was his conviction state or federal?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was state charges, he has no federal convictions

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,700 Posts
I could try to help. Is this a Georgia conviction we're talking abot?

Last I heard the State Board of Pardons and Paroles had their own internal policy that they would not restore gun rights for people convicted of drug offenses. If that's true, it would be a big obstacle to overcome. Has your son inquired about this with the Board?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is a Georgia conviction. At the pardon and parole board website, they have a statement posted that they will not restore firearm rights to those that have been convicted of a drug offense. I don't think that is fair, some people do the right thing and their past should not be held against them.
I had my firearm rights restored, I was convicted of a felony (not a drug charge) I applied for a pardon and received a full pardon with my firearm rights restored, I have a permit to carry now. It took a while to process but it was worth it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because of the statement on the parodon and parole board website, he has yet to apply. That is why we are researching now to see what recourse we have.

·
Registered
15,984 Posts
jedijd said:
At the pardon and parole board website, they have a statement posted that they will not restore firearm rights to those that have been convicted of a drug offense.
Maybe this is something that GCO may want to look at. If your gun rights can theoretically be restored after other felonies (even violent ones) you should definately have the option for non-violent drug offenses.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My charge was'nt a violent charge, but I agree if violent offenders are able to have their rights restored, certainly non-violent drug offenders should as well. How should we proceed?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts