Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ever get RLS? I do. Sometimes I even get RWBS (Restless Whole Body Syndrome) - a term I made up.

It is absolutely maddening. An insatiable urge to move some part of your body when trying to sleep. There is one and only one way to satisfy it: To move a part of your body. The urge absolutely will not go away until you move something...anything. Ok, that's fine - no problem. The problem is that urge starts all over again in under a minute. It makes it nearly impossible to sleep.

Anyone here have this issue and find a way to cope with it, without using pills? The only thing that has helped me is Kratom. If I take some in the evening, I absolutely do not have RLS at all when I sleep. But it just a treatment - not a cure. When I try a night without it, the RLS comes back with a vengeance. OTC sleeping pills absolutely do not work at all, for me. They even seem to make it worse.

It would be nice to find a cure, instead of just a treatment for the symptoms. I am very opposed to taking any kind of pill at all daily. Destroy or degrade one part or parts of your body to treat symptoms in another part - that equation is no good. And there is not a pill out there that doesn't do that, when taken daily and long term.

I would be elated to learn that some deficiency in my diet causes it, and that by eating grapefruit or cranberries, or whatever, would cure this, naturally and correctly.

·
American
3,289 Posts
No need for a made up term:

Akathisia is a movement disorder characterized by a feeling of inner restlessness and inability to stay still. Usually the legs are most prominently affected. People may fidget, rock back and forth, or pace. Other may just feel uneasy.

The nocturnal equivalent is Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD) and one main cause is low blood iron. Not necessarily anemia (that can be caught with the finger prick test) but low iron (not as low as anemia). Increases in blood iron over the course of 90+ days results in significant decreases in 50+% of patients.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I get the same thing. Mostly my legs and sometimes I get the whole body problem. At first I thought the whole body thing was just in my head because it was happening the same time as my legs. I have found that its worse when I take OTC sleeping meds, but lately its been no matter what I take.

How much magniseum do you take?

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Have a sleep study?

·
American
3,289 Posts
Magnesium is typically only helpful for muscle cramps, not restless leg. Could it help? Yup. What's more likely to help? Increased blood iron. Not as easy a solution, but more likely to actually resolve the problem.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm doing some research on how to increase iron in the blood. It isn't simple, and pretty much every website is just a "copy and paste" of all of the others. They are all pretty much the same wording, too. I find this every single time I do some medical research online.

I eat peanut butter every single day for lunch. I snack on peanuts instead of potato chips. I eat red meat fairly often. I do many things that are supposed to increase iron in the blood. Maybe I need to start cooking everything in cast iron cookware. What stinks is that normally very healthy foods can decrease iron absorption (like whole grain foods). I could do away with the copious amount of iced tea I drink, and avoid chocolate, though. Not that either of those are healthy, anyway.

·
PawPaw x 3
8,818 Posts
Anyone else ever get RLS? I do. Sometimes I even get RWBS (Restless Whole Body Syndrome) - a term I made up.

It is absolutely maddening. An insatiable urge to move some part of your body when trying to sleep. There is one and only one way to satisfy it: To move a part of your body. The urge absolutely will not go away until you move something...anything. Ok, that's fine - no problem. The problem is that urge starts all over again in under a minute. It makes it nearly impossible to sleep.

Anyone here have this issue and find a way to cope with it, without using pills? The only thing that has helped me is Kratom. If I take some in the evening, I absolutely do not have RLS at all when I sleep. But it just a treatment - not a cure. When I try a night without it, the RLS comes back with a vengeance. OTC sleeping pills absolutely do not work at all, for me. They even seem to make it worse.

It would be nice to find a cure, instead of just a treatment for the symptoms. I am very opposed to taking any kind of pill at all daily. Destroy or degrade one part or parts of your body to treat symptoms in another part - that equation is no good. And there is not a pill out there that doesn't do that, when taken daily and long term.

I would be elated to learn that some deficiency in my diet causes it, and that by eating grapefruit or cranberries, or whatever, would cure this, naturally and correctly.
Sudden or insidious onset?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sudden or insidious onset?
Seems to be somewhat random, but fairly frequent. I don't see a correlation to anything I do. I don't notice it until I am very near the point when I start falling asleep, which is probably 10 or so minutes after I turn out the light. If anything is weighing on my mind, it gets real bad.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts