Restaurants in downtown Savannah

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Boy Racer, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Boy Racer

Boy Racer New Member

I'm taking a business trip to Savannah next week, and plan to have dinner with a friend from grad school on Wednesday night. Can someone recommend to me a place in Savannah to go? Nothing fancy, not too expensive, just a good place with good food.

Ideas?

2. ArmyCW4

ArmyCW4 Guest

What cuisine are you looking for? Most restaurants in Savannah are rather pricey, but if you want good seafood try either Uncle Bubba's on the way to Tybee Island or The Crab Shack on Tybee. Their are several restaurant's in city center that are good but not too pricey. or try the Wild Wing Cafe 27 Barnard St. Savannah, GA 31401 very good not pricey at all

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1 for Uncle Bubba's. The wait was sorta long, but worth it.

4. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Is your grad school friend a single female?

If so, I have some other suggestions. :p

5. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

+1,000 on the The Crab Shack. We love this place. Everything is either boiled or steamed. No fried food. Outdoor seating on the marsh. Very relaxed and excellent food. Good prices and is casual. It is maybe 15-20 minutes IIRC from downtown Savannah.

There is a good Pizza place on City Market if you want really cheap. I think it is called Vinny's (someone correct me if I am wrong).

Belford's on City Market. A bit more pricey (steakhouse) but really great food. You can sit outside here too.

6. AeroShooter

AeroShooter Active Member

The Shrimp Factory -- it's been about 10 years since I ate there... food was quite good & its on the water front. The recent reviews suggest they've maintained their quality. If is not inexpensive... but would make for a nice dinner destination. If your grad school chum is female, this would make a nice destination.

If your grad school chum is like mine (male), I commend cooking meat over an open fire, consuming lots of beer and playing Doom until 0400 in the morning...

7. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

also recommends the crab shack, great atmosphere (if you like cats) and food.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I love The Crab Shack :D

9. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

+143`[email protected]!\

Moon River is f*****g AWESOME!

Their beer is good, but very different (note: never drink 5+ cups of their darkest beer in under 30 minutes, or you'll puke - well, in my case anyway).

Pissed me off that they changed their Mahi tuna dish, though... it was SOOOOO good with that maple glaze. :(

10. VolGrad

The "commie" and I were in Savannah last October. They had a seasonal pumpkin spice brew. That, I would also not recommend. All the other beers I had on the sampler were excellent.

11. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I have the exact opposite reaction. Uncle Bubba's served nothing that I coulndn't get at any other seafood restaurant...it was quite a bore really.

Of course, that is only my opinion.

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

+1. I'll go with that too.

13. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

+2 for the Crab Shack, great food and nice environment.

14. pro2am

pro2am New Member

North Beach Grill, next to the lighthouse is an awesome place to go for lunch.

15. VolGrad

This is what people told us too. The locals we talked to said it was just a tourist trap capitalizing off Lady and Sons' fame. We passed.

You really owe it to yourself to try the Crab Shack. I crave it all the time. They have a platter you can order with shrimp, crab legs, sausages, etc. Excellent.

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

All this talk of good food make me wish that I could leave early and drive to The Crab Shack for dinner.

17. VolGrad

Swing by to pick me up. :D

18. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

I think I might go out there to seat this Friday (the Crab Shack, that is). :D

19. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I liked it. Plus, I haven't been to the other places that have been mentioned thus far. :2cents: