Residency in Ga required to buy ammo at Wal Mart?

Discussion in 'Ammo' started by Suburbbus, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Guy checked my ID today when I bought some and when I mentioned that I was "WAY" older than 21, he replied that they were supposed to check residency.

I don't think that this guy knew what he was talking about.
    I did not have time to hunt down a manager and ask.

Anyone else ever heard anything like this from Wal Mart?

2. Jmark

Jmark Active Member

BS, I believe they are required to check everyone's ID now though.

3. spector

spector New Member

I think GA law only allows sales to adjoining states. Could be wrong about that -- IANAL.

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I'm pretty sure the OCGA doesn't even mentions ammunition. More likely an abundance of caution (sometimes indistinguishable from common idiocy) on the local level. I would bet the clerk is just responding to a prompt on the register, just like clerks at grocery stores will ask a gray hired, old man in a wheelchair to prove he's over 21.

5. rainmaker

rainmaker New Member

No one has ever asked me for any ID at Walmart when I'm buying ammo, but I'm way over 21. Only point of contention seems to be whether I can pay for the ammo up front, or must pay for it in Sporting Goods. It depends on which clerk gets the goods out of the locked ammo case.

But buying Sudafed for my sinus problems so I can scuba dive is a whole 'nother thing. I get carded AND have my purchase noted on their computer every time.

6. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Locally (Leesburg/Albany) I've never been asked for ID... but they all know my face since I buy there regularly.

However, I was carded once at the Thomasville Wal-Mart. The lady said, "They've been cracking down on us lately." She probably thought I was a cop since I was wearing a coat and tie... and she probably saw my gun, too... sport coat was unbuttoned.

Amen to the sudafed thing. It's the only thing that really opens up my sinuses, and I hate the process now required to purchase it!

7. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

they only look at my ID if I tell them it is for a pistol.
    they ask " do you have a pistol or a rifle "

8. livesounder

livesounder New Member

QFT

9. mountainman444

mountainman444 Active Member

Yep always tell them it's for a rifle. Even if the pistol is own your hip at the time.

10. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

"Ummm... it's for a sub-machine gun, why?" Just to see the look on their face.

11. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

I have only had one person ever ask what the ammo was for.

Why would it matter if it is for a pistol or rifle?

12. livesounder

livesounder New Member

21 for one, 18 for the other.

13. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

This makes no sense. What if it is .44 mag ammo? It can go in a pistol or a rifle.. :screwy:

14. tignalljeeper

tignalljeeper New Member

Yep, you're exactly right. Same with .22, if you're under 21 they won't sell .22 ammo to you. Have had a walmart not sell it after they were told that it was for a rifle, said "doesn't matter, it can also be used for a pistol"

15. Match10

Match10 Active Member

I give them my Connecticut or my Utah Pistol Totin' Licenses... Whichever I find first.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I answered that because it was truthful, and the poor clerk started visibly shaking. "We don't sell for nothing illegal!"

I said nothing and stood there staring with money in hand until he finally composed himself, rung it up, and took the money.

"It's not illegal."

He did not reply.

17. mtber1172

mtber1172 Member

I've never had it happen and they've never asked for I.D. either.

Then again, the kid that works in the sporting goods dept. at my local Wal Mart always has that "I'd rather be anywhere else than here" look on his face.

18. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

I have never had anyone ask for my license when I buy ammo here in Buford- Suwanee area.It is usually the same guy that is always back there and he know me from the previous trips there :lol: .

19. Shooter99

Shooter99 New Member

I bought some ammo from wal-mart last weekend in Columbus, and they DID have a sign saying you had to be a resident of GA to buy ammo.

20. Iron

Iron New Member

Never heard of that I used to buy a lot from Walmart. Now, it seems like they never have what I need in stock and prices are going up weekly.

9mm Luger ammo shouldn't be that odd to not keep stock nor 7.62 x 39. Anyways, I digress.