Republican Debate Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by AV8R, Sep 5, 2007.

1. AV8R

AV8R Banned

9PM Tonight on FoxNews.

2. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Looking forward to watching it. Was listening to Sean Hannity on the way home today and he was talking up the debate. He pissed me off by his snide tone when talking about Ron Paul. Even went so far as to say that Paul "might even get to 0.3% support after tonight's debate". I hate that guy. I think I listen to him just to remind myself why I can not stand him.

3. AV8R

AV8R Banned

He often refers to shrill liberals. He really needs to take a long hard listen to himself. I used to like him, like 3 or 4 years ago.

I would love to see Ron Paul hit a couple home runs tonight. I'm afraid that he and some of the others will get sidelined so Ghouliani and the like will be showcased. FoxNews really does have a stiffy for that RINO schmuck.

4. oldguns

oldguns New Member

Guiliani just said that the 2nd Amendment "grants" you the right to bear arms. I cringe every time I hear someone say that. The 2nd does no such thing, it restricts government from infringing on a natural right. Shows me a lack of fundamental understanding of the Constitution.

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Watching it right now I have to ask why some of the candidates even bothered to show up. It appears that the questions are going to the top tier candidates.

That being said, so far I am impressed with Huckabee and Paul.

Addendum: Just watched Paul's answer to the Iraqi war .... I like him even more.

6. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Yep, I caught the exact same thing. A lot of people say that about the Bill of Rights, when the Bill of Rights only recognizes pre-existing rights that all men have as a result of natural law.

I trust Guiliani as far as I can throw a baby grand piano. My biggest fear is that the two party's candidates are Guiliani and Hillary.

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

That far? I don't think there exists an object heavy enough to use for my version of that metaphor.

8. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

The more i listen to Hannity, the more i'm convinced that he's just a big government statist. Always Rudy and Leiberman. I don't see how he can call himself a conservative when he loves those guys and calls people who support Paul kooks.

9. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

I didn't know what channel the debate was on until just a few minutes ago thanks to this thread. I'm watching it now, but it appears as though i am catching only the last 20 minutes of it.

When i got to the channel, Huckabee (i think) was commenting on the Fair Tax. Well done.

Paul is on the ball tonight. Love the applause he's getting.

10. AV8R

AV8R Banned

+1

11. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Ok, my take on the debate. Obviously the face time was not equal for all the candidates. The top tier candidates received more time than the other candidates, as I am sure it was intended.

Among the top tier candidates, if I had to choose a winner from Romney, Guiliani and McCain I would have to choose McCain. I think he was concise and direct with his answers. I did not get the impression that he was attempting to dodge any question, but was instead answering to the best of his ability. I found his answers to be comprehensive and to show a large knowledge of the issues of the day. I still completely disagree with his position on illegal immigration and think that on that one topic he was not completely forthcoming as Romney correctly pointed out, in that under his and Bush's plan the Z-visa would have been amnesty in practice if not in name. Other than that I would give him the nod out of the top tier. Romney I would place in second and Guiliani in third (keep in mind I really dislike Guiliani so I am sure I am prejudiced on this one).

Out of all the candidates I would say that I was impressed with both Paul and with Huckabee. I could gladly vote for either one as my president, even though they both disagree with one another on various issues. To be honest, I would have to give Huckabee the overall win on this one over Paul. Huckabee definitely impressed the hell out of me. Paul still gets my nod for the primary vote at this point, but I am keeping my eye on Huckabee.

If I had to pick an overall loser, it would have to be Tancredo. The guy was just uncomfortable on stage. He didn't appear or present himself as presidential and on the final hypothetical question he floundered so bad I felt sorry for him. Tancredo gets the pickle award from me.

Overall winner, even though he didn't get as much face time, I think I have to give that one to Huckabee. Definitely a candidate to keep your eye on, in my opinion.

So, after the first round, I still haven't changed my opinion on whom I am going to vote for in the primary, but I am interested in seeing what some of the republican candidates have to say going forward.

And as a last remark, I think Thompson made a grave error in passing on this debate. I think this debate was solid enough to cause many people to commit to their candidate of choice and he will pay for that decision.

12. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Watching the post debate interview with Ron Paul... Hannity is an ASSHOLE.

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Oh yeh he is. Without a doubt. I have tried to call into his show just to tell him that I don't think he is a great American and that he and others like him, be they democrats or republicans are like a cancer to our republic. Of course he would probably label me a "liberal", which I guess if you use the original sense of the word I am. I think all rights should be liberally interpreted and liberally applied, the more liberal the government is in supporting my rights the better.

Clarification for those who don't listen to Hannity: It is common for the cattle who call his program to gush at him that he is a "great American" ... makes me want to puke every time I hear it.

14. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

:ditto:

He seems to have a vendetta against Paul (I think for criticizing Rudy, his man, a while back) and his supporters.

I had a choice finger that i displayed to my TV screen after Hannity's remarks.

I'm staying up later tonight than i thought i would.... they are re-airing the debate. So at least i won't miss anything.

15. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

bah...not up on youtube yet.

16. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

You and me both.

I used to listen to Hannity regularly, up until Terri Schaivo. Now, i listen for a bit, get sick of the "you're a great american" and turn it off. IMO, his audience (for the most part) is as bad a flock of sheep as the liberals that buy the soundbites from the nightly news.

Seriously, if your favorite polticians are liberals (I consider Rudy a liberal in disguise) then you aren't a conservative.

17. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

Turn it to foxnews right now. It's on again.

18. M249

M249 New Member

Hannity irks me. Savage I can deal with, even though I think he's bonkers, but... All your radio are belong to Boortz.

Now it's time to watch the debate

19. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

I listen to Boortz in the morning on my way to Athens and he is usually a hoot. I disagree with the guy about as often as I agree with him, and sometimes I think he is downright insane, but he makes for entertaining radio and doesn't trigger my gag reflex like Hannity does.

And Savage is bonkers. I swear, half the time I expect him to start talking about the black helicopters.

20. tace

tace New Member

I thought Fred Thompson won that debate out right :lol: