Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
881 - 900 of 904 Posts

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #881 ·
New news. Note 2, 5, 7, and 9 in particular. But all is worth a read.

Nemo

Virginia Citizens Defense League
Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself

1. VCDL’s Legislative Tracker for 2023 is up!
2. Pittsylvania County School Board delays gun ban
3. Reminder: Lobby Day Flyer orders needed by Friday
4. Lynchburg looking to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary in January!
5. VCDL activism – promoting gun rights on the Silver Line Extension
6. R.I.P. Delegate Ronnie Campbell
7. A reminder about the real purpose of gun control – Innocents Betrayed [VIDEO]
8. Stop the Bleed review
9. Founding Fathers’ quote of the day

1. VCDL’s Legislative Tracker for 2023 is up!

The 2023 Virginia General Assembly session doesn’t start until January 11 (January 16 is Lobby Day), but bills have already begun appearing. So far there are six pro-gun bills and no anti-gun bills, but those numbers are going to change dramatically as we get closer to Lobby Day.
The tracker will be updated as new bills appear. Besides the link below, the link is also on the main page of the VCDL.org website:
VCDL's 2023 Legislation Tracking Tool (vcdl-lis.org)

2. Pittsylvania County School Board delays gun ban

Ten gun-owners (including me) attended last night’s Pittsylvania County School Board meeting.
We had a partial victory, as the Board decided to suspend the gun ban until at least March, when it would be brought up again after all the current questions and concerns are answered (and possibly “No guns” signs posted on the property).
What got my attention was when the Board Chairman, Mr. Calvin Doss, said he didn’t get a single call from anyone who was opposed to the ban! I certainly hope he was wrong about that. We need our Pittsylvania County members and their friends and family to contact the School Board in full opposition to the gun ban! Failing to do so hurts our ability to stop this kind of insanity. Click here for contact information:
https://www.pcs.k12.va.us/UserFiles... Office/SchoolBoard/pcs-board-april6_2022.pdf
The School Board did not get to the discussion on their recent gun ban until the end of the meeting. The Pittsylvania County Commonwealth Attorney, Mr. Haskins, addressed the committee. Mr. Haskins said that the resolution they passed to do the gun ban quoted the wrong code section and that needed to be fixed. He pointed out that there is no penalty listed in the law for a violation of carrying on school board property (as opposed to school property, which is a felony). He said the penalty would be a trespass violation. He suggested that if they wished to proceed with the ban, that they post the property so the trespass could be enforced.
Clearly Mr. Haskins was not a fan of the gun ban personally, but when speaking as the Commonwealth Attorney he did his job and laid out the options for the School Board.
Sheriff Taylor was there to see what transpired on the resolution that evening, as his deputies would have to enforce whatever was decided, unless the prohibition was dropped.
Chairman Doss, when questioned by Board member Samuel Burton, admitted that before the resolution was passed last month no one had contacted the Board of Supervisors (who use the same meeting room and would be directly affected by the gun ban), the Sheriff (who would have to know the ban existed and how to enforce the ban), or the Commonwealth Attorney (who would have to prosecute violators)! Sheesh. Talk about unprofessional! That’s how big of a hurry the Chairman was in to implement that ban. He just plowed ahead without regard to anyone else who would be affected by the ban or to find out if the ban was advisable or even legal!
Making the Board of Supervisors angry is particularly stupid. Guess who holds the purse strings in the County? In fact, Board of Supervisors members Ron Scearce and Tim Dudley were in attendance. Ron Scearce was wearing his VCDL cap.
Thanks to Board member Samuel Burton for standing up to Mr. Doss and his anti-gun baloney. Also, thanks to Board member Kevin Mills who pushed back against the ban from the beginning and did so again last night.
Here is newspaper coverage that came out yesterday morning. I am quoted:
Gun free zone raises questions, to be discussed Tuesday
https://www.chathamstartribune.com/news/article_0ddfb0b4-794a-11ed-acac-637233895963.html

3. Reminder: Lobby Day Flyer orders needed by Friday

Help needed! We currently have orders for 3,100 Lobby Day flyers for distribution. You have until Friday at 10am to get any that you want to distribute.

If you are willing and able to distribute these flyers in quantity, we could use your help. Think...

• In every bag at the gun store
  • Every bulletin at church or the lodge
  • Hunter Ed or firearm classes
  • Your gun club
  • The office
  • Any Christmas / Holiday Party
  • Any other place you can get the word out

If you are interested, please email the following information to the
Lobby Day Flyer Coordinator at [email protected]
Include:

Your name
Your address
Your City, State Zip
Your best Phone number
Your best email address
Quantity you want (100 minimum)
Planned method and area of distribution

NOTE!! - These get shipped via UPS and UPS cannot deliver to Post Office Boxes!

HOWEVER, there is a work around.

If you want UPS to deliver to your PO Box, you need to provide the STREET address of the Post Office and you use your PO Box number as a suite number.

Again, if you can help out in distributing these flyers, contact our
Lobby Day Flyer Coordinator at [email protected] with the above info.

NOTE:

A PDF copy of the flyer will be released in a couple of days for those who wish to print and distribute copies directly. That digital flyer can be placed on social media to spread the word, too!

4. Lynchburg looking to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary in January!

After this year’s election in November, Lynchburg now has five Republicans and two Democrats on City Council. That reversed balance of power is good for gun owners!
In January of 2020 over 1,000 people showed up to encourage Lynchburg to join with 95% of the localities in Virginia to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary! Five Democrats voted against the resolution and two Republicans voted for it.
The shoe is now on the other foot.
It’s possible that the vote to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary could come at the first City Council meeting in January. There will be an alert item when we know for sure. We will want a good turnout at that meeting!

5. VCDL activism – promoting gun rights on the Silver Line Extension

Member Michael P. learned that there was going to be a grand opening of the Metro’s Silver Line extension in Ashburn back in November. It is legal to carry on the metro in Virginia (but NOT DC and Maryland with a MD CHP only), so Michael decided to use that grand opening to let commuters know they can legally carry on the metro in Virginia.
He contacted me, but there wasn’t really enough time to get an alert out and coordinate the event. So, Michael made up a sign he carried that said, “Ask me about 2A on Metro”. His shirt showed statistics from the metro website on “crime against the person:” 2% in Virginia, 29% in Maryland, and 69% in DC. As one would expect, the state with the least gun control is the safest by far. Here is a link to that information:
https://www.wmata.com/about/transit-police/upload/Crime-by-Jurisdiction-July-Dec-2019.pdf

Michael’s report to me:
Things went well today. I showed up at the Ashburn station around 1230 and interacted with a lot of people there for the ribbon cutting. I then boarded the train for the inaugural west bound Silver Line trip, changing cars at every stop. I received a lot of positive feedback. A lot more people, to include concealed carry permit holders and a couple of IAD police officers, now know it is legal to carry on the metro in Virginia.
I had a great conversation with a metro employee from Maryland. He has a Maryland wear and carry permit and expressed his frustrations that he can carry on the metro in Maryland and Virginia but not DC and that you can’t go between Maryland and Virginia on the metro without going through DC. I told him to keep hope alive with the ongoing lawsuit on the DC metro carry prohibition.

6. R.I.P. Delegate Ronnie Campbell

It’s with sadness I report the death of Delegate Ronnie Campbell (R-24th House district) after losing a battle with cancer. Delegate Campbell, who was going to carry a bill for VCDL in 2023, was a strong friend of the 2A and he will be missed. VCDL offers its sincere condolences to Delegate Campbell’s family and friends.

7. A reminder about the real purpose of gun control – Innocents Betrayed [VIDEO]

A documentary on how gun control has been, and still is, used by governments to control and murder innocent citizens. This is one reason why VCDL fights tenaciously for the 2A!

8. Stop the Bleed review

One of our members who took a “Stop the Bleed” course sent me this:
I just took the Stop the Bleed course which was mentioned in the VCDL newsletter.
I was the only one in class and they held it anyway. The training was excellent and having experienced it, I can give a strong endorsement.
stopthebleed.org is a great website to start with.
To find a local course see:
https://cms.bleedingcontrol.org/class/search

9. Founding Fathers’ quote of the day

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." - Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, August 19, 1785

PO Box 513, Newington, VA 22122-0513
(804) 639-0600
Website
: vcdl.org

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #882 · (Edited)
All of it is worth a read this time.

Nemo

1. VCDL Lobby Day information page now up
2. Virginia Democrat introducing a bill in January to ban ARs – Lobby Day is January 16, elections on November 7
3. BATFE issues Open Letter on homemade guns, flip/flopping again
4. Gun Facts website now linked on VCDL website
5. 2023 Traveler’s Guide mail order sale and deadline
6. Governor Youngkin announces Transformational Behavioral Health Care Plan for Virginians
7. Fedex wanted to scan member’s driver’s license before handing over ammo order
8. SCOTUS “Common Use” test stops ban on ARs, AKs, ammo, and magazines
9. Member Kudos to Chesapeake, Stafford, and Prince William Circuit Court Clerks
10. Article in George Mason Univ. paper mindlessly pushes gun control
11. CDC removes defensive gun use statistics from website after pressure from gun controllers
12. [AZ] Good guy with gun stops potential mass shooting [VIDEO]
13. [OH] Armed driver stops attack
14. [SC] Former pro-wrestler holds intruder at gun point
15. [IL] Armed citizen protects wounded police officer
16. About that deceptive CDC/NYT story on “children’s” firearm deaths
17. [TN] Naked man shot after breaking into home
18. [MI] Tow-truck driver with CHP shoots robber dead
19. Massad Ayoob: short answers against gun control claims [VIDEO]
20. [UK] Only people using guns can commit mass murder! Uh, never mind
21. [FRANCE] Three dead and three wounded in a shooting in gun-free France
22. [CANADA] Surprise! Heavily gun-controlled Canada has mass shooting
23. For a laugh, but not a joke: Canadian government actually bans “Butt Master” gun

1. VCDL Lobby Day information page now up

The VCDL website now has a page with more detailed information about Lobby Day 2023.
The link is below and is also on the main webpage and under the “VA Politics” menu.
https://vcdl.org/mpage/LobbyDay2023

2. Virginia Democrat introducing a bill in January to ban ARs – Lobby Day is January 16, elections on November 7

Democrats are not giving up on gun control, the U.S. Supreme Court be damned.
We need you at Lobby Day to push back on all these crazy bans and restrictions. We also all need to vote on November 7, 2023 as the Virginia House and Senate are both completely up for grabs!
Sadly, Senator Creigh Deeds has his eyes on taking away ARs:
Virginia Democrat who voted against gun ban in 2020 now offering one of his own
[snip]
Deeds said his new bill would more narrowly define assault-style weapons, and that guns manufactured before the effective date of the legislation, if passed, would be exempt from the ban on sale and transfer.
He proposes a buy-back program for assault-style weapons grandfathered by the legislation. And an age restriction of 21 and older would be placed on possessing an assault-style weapon produced before or after the active date of the legislation.
The legislation is “aimed at reducing firearms that are flowing onto the streets,” without violating the right to self-defense, Deeds said.
[/SNIP]

3. BATFE issues Open Letter on homemade guns, flip/flopping again

Originally 80% receivers were not firearms and didn’t need to be serialized. Then they were firearms and needed to be serialized and sold by FFLs if they came as a kit to make a complete gun. Now they are firearms and must be serialized and sold by FFLs even if they are sold with nothing else included at all.
The law never changed. The BATFE just made these dictates out of thin air. The court challenge to this should be interesting…

4. Gun Facts website now linked on VCDL website

If you want to brush up on facts dealing with gun rights, VCDL has a link to the Gun Facts website under the “Resources” menu. The Gun Facts motto is: “We are neither pro-gun nor anti-gun: we are pro-math and anti B.S. Our core mission is to neuter bad information about guns and violence, shoving discussions into the realm of honest and clarity.” Link: gunfacts.info

5. 2023 Traveler’s Guide mail order sale and deadline

The “2023 Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States” is being ordered and is expected to arrive about the 2nd week in January. If you do not want to wait until the next local gun show, do we have a deal for you!

The VCDL Fulfillment Center has a copy on order with your name on it! If you would like one, we need to receive your order by January 5th.

Orders will be processed in the order in which they are received.

There are two options:

If you want it sent in a sturdier envelope and by priority mail the cost will be $21.00

If you want it sent in a standard manila envelope and by first class mail the cost will be $19.00

If you include a copy of your current unexpired membership card (or a completed application) you can reduce the price by $2.

To order, please send a check or money order made out to "VCDL" to:

VCDL Fulfillment Center
ATTN: Book Sales
PO Box 254
Garrisonville, VA 22463

NOTE: If you do not place "book sales" on the envelope, your purchase could be delayed by 3 weeks or more. Please help us to help you!

Also, please consider including a donation to either the VCDL, the VCDL-PAC or BOTH!

(If you donate to the PAC, please make it a separate check and include your occupation, employer, and employer's city and state. -- Thanks!)

For donations of a total of $100.00 or more, you will receive 1 FREE copy of the 2023 Traveler’s Guide inclusive of our best shipping option above!
Donations may be to either VCDL, VCDL-PAC, or BOTH. If your total donation is $100.00 or more, you will qualify!

6. Governor Youngkin announces Transformational Behavioral Health Care Plan for Virginians

While most people with mental health issues are not dangerous, some are suicidal, and others are outright dangerous. A normal person doesn’t walk into a school and start shooting children or walk around murdering strangers. Suicide definitely affects the gun owning community, as about half of suicides are by the misuse of a firearm.
So VCDL will be watching legislation to both improve mental health treatment and improve access to mental health treatment.
Governor Youngkin has announced a three-year plan called “Right Help, Right Now.” Details are here:
Secretary of Health and Human Resources - Behavioral Health Plan

7. Fedex wanted to scan member’s driver’s license before handing over ammo order

So, now it seems that Fedex doesn’t just want to look at your photo ID to verify you as the recipient of ammunition and to verify your age, but they want to electronically scan your ID! Have any of you had Fedex do this to you?
From member J.D.:
I ordered ammo from BassPro for delivery, which I have done many times, and had it dropped off on my front entrance routinely.
However, this morning anti-gun Fedex driver said he had to scan my driver’s license. I said, “NO, YOU DON'T” and explained that he only needs to verify my name, delivery address and age.
It turned into a standoff over scanning my ID and he left with MY package of ammo, which I consider theft.
I immediately contacted BassPro and told them to order Fedex to stop this nonsense or get another delivery company. The Ashland store manager was fully supportive of me. He is contacting Fedex to reclaim my order for me to pick up in the store and elevating this nonsense to their corporate mgt.

I WILL NOT participate in Fedex’s scanning and collecting photo ID scheme.

8. SCOTUS “Common Use” test stops ban on ARs, AKs, ammo, and magazines

The U.S. Supreme Court’s “common use” test for firearms is a huge deal, as discussed in this video:

9. Member Kudos to Chesapeake, Stafford, and Prince William Circuit Court Clerks

Member Joe R. sent me this report on getting a CHP processed in Chesapeake:
I went through security screening with no issues, helpfully directed to correct floor/office. There, I was met by the ever-professional Rick, asked for my license and current permit, given a clipboard and directed to chairs outside the office to complete the application, which included the main page, an addendum page, two pages of information about the process, and an address history page, as well as a Court-supplied envelope to self-address.
Within two minutes, he came out and returned my license and permit, and provided me with a copy of them to add to the packet. He also politely pointed out a missed entry (“Scars, marks, tattoos”) and put me in line behind two other people.
Once at the window, the entire process took less than 10 minutes, including unrelated gab, and took on a light, conversational tone.
They informed me the new permits would be plastic instead of paper, showed me a sample, and cautioned me to keep the old permit on my person not only until the new permit was received but became active.
I opted for debit, $51 with the convenience fee, and was out the door.
Rick was also kind enough to provide a blank application packet, to save my wife the trouble of printing one out for her mail-in renewal, though the window clerk also offered to do so. I was reminded to point out the “scars, marks, tattoos” portion to her as well, reinforcing the notion that it was often missed. I mention this because I suspect it could cause a delay issue for folks mailing in their renewals, if they miss it. I brought certificates of training with me, just in case, but they confirmed that it was not needed for renewal.
Overall, with the exception of having to park a quarter mile away, the process was quick, easy, and friendly. There was no sign of the judgmental or adversarial tone we sometimes hear about.
For the benefit of any folks not already familiar, viewed from Cedar Road, the Circuit Court building is sort of back and left. Park as close to the building as possible, as there is a lot of distance to cover. The entry way is semi-circular glass, left entrance, right exit, and you will enter between two separate x-ray security lines. I strongly encourage bringing in only what is necessary for the trip. Cell phones are not allowed. They made the lady behind me send her son back outside with her phone. From the x-ray and metal detector, elevators are directly left, escalators to the right. 3rd floor, right hand side is Circuit Court.
-
Member Jim S. commended the Prince William County Circuit Court Clerk for getting his permit processed in SEVEN DAYS!
-
Member Robert K. commended the Stafford County Circuit Court Clerk for turning around his permit application in EIGHT DAYS!

10. Article in George Mason Univ. paper mindlessly pushes gun control

Basically, the article was saying that trying to fix our mental health system instead of passing yet more gun control is a cop out on stopping violence through the misuse of firearms.
Gun controllers are desperately trying to get Governor Youngkin to come over to the dark side with them.
The comment I left for this opinion piece was:
Gun control is an anti-solution, too. We got a ton of "common sense" gun control that the Democrats crammed down our throats in Virginia in 2020 and 2021. All that did was to make crime soar. Scratch that solution off your list. And don't forget that the U.S. Supreme Court in the Bruen case earlier sets a high bar for gun control to reach before being constitutional. Guns have been around and available since before this country was founded. It's only now that crime is going up. It's not guns that's changed, it's society. Human life has become cheap. People are murdered because they "upset" someone or because they are dealing drugs on someone else's turf. Saying gun control will fix any of this is a cop out.
YOUNGKIN'S STATEMENTS ON VIRGINIA SHOOTINGS REINFORCE THE NEED FOR GUN REFORM | Fourth Estate

11. CDC removes defensive gun use statistics from website after pressure from gun controllers

Surely the Center for Disease Control wouldn’t politicize data that tracks defensive gun uses? Well, yes, they would and did.
https://thereload.com/emails-cdc-re...cates-pressured-officials-in-private-meeting/

12. [AZ] Good guy with gun stops potential mass shooting [VIDEO]

13. [OH] Armed driver stops attack

Armed Defender Ends Attack on the Road

14. [SC] Former pro-wrestler holds intruder at gun point

As is the case 90% of the time, a good guy with a gun stopped a criminal without a shot being fired. That said, I’m still not a fan of holding criminals at gunpoint unless it is the only practical option (and sometimes it is).
Pro wrestling legend Jim Duggan reveals he detained home intruder at gunpoint, thanks cops for response

15. [IL] Armed citizen protects wounded police officer

Illinois and other states want to further restrict CHP holders, yet here is another example of a CHP holder coming to the aid of a severely wounded police officer. A lot of violent crime and active murderers have been stopped by CHP holders in Illinois and everywhere else in the country.
Armed Defender Protects Wounded Police Officer Near Chicago
[SNIP]
Cicero police Superintendent Jerry Chlada Junior said, “We were lucky enough to have a citizen on the street there who is a concealed carry holder, and he engaged in gunfire with the suspect.”

Cicero Town President Larry Dominick added, “I want to applaud the citizen, a civilian, who risked his life to help in apprehending this armed suspect. He got out and started helping the police, which is something I’ve got to be proud of.”
[/SNIP]

16. About that deceptive CDC/NYT story on “children’s” firearm deaths

About that story on firearms deaths in children...

17. [TN] Naked man shot after breaking into home

The owners of a home fled to a neighbor’s house after a break in by a violent person.
The neighbor grabbed a gun and proceeded to confront the bad guy. It would have been better to just call the police and let them handle the situation, since there was apparently no one in the house in danger.
90% of the time the criminal will flee or comply when confronted by an armed citizen. BUT there is that 10% who will not flee and will not comply with instructions. That’s what happened in this case. The criminal did not get down on the ground as ordered but proceeded to advance at the neighbor while carrying a broken windshield wiper as a weapon.
The neighbor at that point fired a warning shot, which had no effect. Do NOT fire warning shots! They are potentially dangerous and usually do not work anyway.
Ultimately the neighbor had to shoot the bad guy in the chest, stopping the attack.
Naked man shot after breaking into Tennessee home, ransacking living room: police

18. [MI] Tow-truck driver with CHP shoots robber dead

Play stupid games, like armed robbery, win stupid prizes, like an extra hole in your body.
https://www.theblaze.com/news/tow-t...-carry-license-shoots-alleged-robbery-suspect

19. Massad Ayoob: short answers against gun control claims [VIDEO]

(927) Massad Ayoob: Short answers against Gun Control & how to defend the 2nd Amendment. Critical Mas EP47 - YouTube

20. [UK] Only people using guns can commit mass murder! Uh, never mind

I guess the murderer must have used an “assault hammer.” Sadly, he killed four innocent people, three of which were children. Luckily for the killer, Jolly Old England has strict gun-control, so the adult woman he slaughtered was not legally allowed to have a handgun to defend herself and her children.
UK 'sleepover killer' casually tells police on video he murdered pregnant girlfriend, 3 children

21. [FRANCE] Three dead and three wounded in a shooting in gun-free France

But, but … France has gun control! Yeah, that’s the point, of course.
Paris shooting: Three dead and several injured in attack — BBC News

22. [CANADA] Surprise! Heavily gun-controlled Canada has mass shooting

Remember: being defenseless is “for your own good.”
https://www.theblaze.com/news/gunma...mpage-outside-toronto-gets-put-down-by-police

23. For a laugh, but not a joke: Canadian government actually bans “Butt Master” gun

The geniuses in the Canadian government decided that a single-shot .22 LR zip-gun called a “Butt Master”, of which there is only ONE in existence and it is in Florida, is to be banned in Canada because of its potential use as a weapon of mass destruction!
I’m sure Canadians are breathing a sigh of relief that such a deadly weapon will not be allowed into Canada!
Looks like Biden and Trudeau are trying to outdo each other as to who can be the worst leader. It’s damned hard to decide who is winning, but banning the Butt Master was a good move for Trudeau:
The ball is now in Biden’s court. He’ll probably try to ban tiny, pink, Crickett rifles to prevent another massacre like the one in Las Vegas a few years ago:
https://www.budsgunshop.com/product...lr+single-shot+16.12+synthetic+pink+stk+blued

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #883 · (Edited)
New info, Lobby Day is still on. Come up for a visit!

Nemo

1. Important update on FedEx wanting to scan IDs
2. Action Item: contact Attorney General Miyares to support VCDL/GOA lawsuit against Virginia’s Universal Background Check law
3. Action Item: sign petition for Lynchburg to become a 2A Sanctuary; City Council to consider sanctuary status and reducing CHP fees on January 10!
4. Article: Virginia lawmakers could consider repeals of state gun laws
5. Help needed! Fishersville gun show Jan. 28 and 29
6. Red Flag law struck down in NY for being unconstitutional [VIDEO]
7. BATFE shot themselves in the foot with definition of frames, receivers, and firearms
8. Huffington Post suddenly discovers Constitutional Carry
9. Founding Father’s thought for the day

1. Important update on FedEx wanting to scan IDs

It turns out that some FedEx drivers don’t know the Company’s policy on proof of age for an adult signature requirement.
We’ve had two reports of a FedEx driver requiring that he scan a member’s driver’s license before turning over an ammunition shipment. Both members refused the scan and the driver left with the ammunition!
FedEx policy says that for proof of age for an adult signature requirement, ID is to be scanned by the driver, BUT, if the person refuses, the driver can type their first initial, last name, and date of birth into the form and then hand over the package.
The scan is supposed to only fill in the person’s first initial, last name, and date of birth. No other information is supposed to be captured by the scan.
To comply with Virginia law, the driver should only scan the ID of someone who reasonably could be under the age of 18. Scanning the ID of someone who is around 21 would probably not be an issue but scanning the ID of someone who is clearly well beyond 21 is not legal.
The FedEx FAQ is here:

FedEx | System Down

Virginia law is here:

Title 59.1. Trade and Commerce

Thanks to VCDL members David C. and James B. for providing the above links.

2. Action Item: contact Attorney General Miyares to support VCDL/GOA lawsuit against Virginia’s Universal Background Check law

Click here to send a prewritten message to Attorney General Miyares to support, not oppose, VCDL/GOA’s lawsuit exempting 18 to 20-year-olds from Universal Background Checks when purchasing a handgun:
VA: Tell Republican Attorney General Jason Miyares to End His Support for Gun Control! | GOA

3. Action Item: sign petition for Lynchburg to become a 2A Sanctuary; City Council to consider sanctuary status and reducing CHP fees on January 10!

Two years ago, over 1,000 people showed up at a Lynchburg City Council meeting to urge the City to become a Second Amendment Sanctuary and join the 95% of the localities that had already done so.
At the time, City Council was dominated by Democrats, who summarily ignored the pleas and rejected the resolution. Gun owners were justifiably furious.
Gun owners got their revenge in elections last year and the new City Council now has a Republican majority and that majority plans to bring a new and improved Second Amendment Sanctuary resolution up for a vote on January 10! City Council will also consider a resolution lowering the CHP fees from $50 to $15!

ACTION ITEM #1
There is a petition that is going to be presented to City Council that night and 400 more signatures are needed to get it to 3,000. Here is the link to sign the petition:
Is it about to actually happen?!

ACTION ITEM #2
Let’s have a big turnout for the City Council meeting, which will help make it a big news story. The meeting starts at 7:30pm on January 10. Be sure to pick up a GSL sticker when you arrive:
City Council Chamber
City Hall
900 Church Street
Lynchburg, VA

4. Article: Virginia lawmakers could consider repeals of state gun laws

Delegate Dave LaRock and Senators Amanda Chase and Frank Ruff are mentioned in this article. Both bills that are described were put in by Delegate LaRock at VCDL’s request.
Virginia lawmakers could consider repeals to state gun laws - NewsBreak?

5. Help needed! Fishersville gun show Jan. 28 and 29

The Fishersville Firearms show is in need of volunteers to operate the VCDL booth on Jan 28 and 29.
Help is needed for:
Saturday afternoon (January 28) from 1pm - 5pm and
Sunday (January 29) from 10am – 1pm and 1pm – 5pm

Contact Jim Kiser (VCDL Shenandoah/Fishersville coordinator) to volunteer: [email protected]

6. Red Flag law struck down in NY for being unconstitutional [VIDEO]

New York’s Red Flag law has been ruled unconstitutional! That is significant, as the reasoning behind the ruling will help VCDL repeal Virginia’s own unconstitutional Red Flag law in the General Assembly. VCDL Lobby Day information: https://vcdl.org/mpage/LobbyDay2023

Video on ruling:

7. BATFE shot themselves in the foot with definition of frames, receivers, and firearms

The saying, “too smart by half” definitely applies here. In their new regulation on what is considered a frame, receiver, or firearm, the BATFE conflates two parts of federal law. That makes their new regulation invalid as they have drifted out of their lane and are actually creating new law, not creating regulations based on current law. Details in this video:
ATF MAKES MAJOR MISTAKE with FRAMES, RECEIVERS AND FIREARM Definitions. Mark Smith Explains

8. Huffington Post suddenly discovers Constitutional Carry

According to the article, the Giffords Law Center is a “nonpartisan reform group.” I guess the staff at Huffington must have seen some flying pigs go by their offices recently.
The article mentions Delegate Marie March’s bill to make Virginia a Constitutional Carry state. 25 states already have such a law and Virginia is long overdue to join that club. VCDL Lobby Day information: https://vcdl.org/mpage/LobbyDay2023
People Can Now Carry Guns Without A License In Half Of America's States

9. Founding Father’s thought for the day

"To disarm the people...s the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adoption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

[TD]

[TR]
[TD]

[TD]

[TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TR]
[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]

[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]

(804) 639-0600
Website

[/TD]
[/TR]

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #884 ·
Got some goings on going on up here.

Note 1, 6, 10, 11, 13, and 14.

Nemo

1. Lobby Day is next Monday, January 16!
2. Reminder: special election for 7th State Senate seat is tomorrow, Tuesday, in Virginia Beach!
3. RSVP for the Pre-Lobby Day dinner in Richmond on Sunday
4. Lobby Day flyer on VCDL website for distribution
5. If you are going to Lobby Day and are in Tara Durant’s House district…
6. VCDL-U has video for students about Lobby Day
7. Help needed: Salem gun show on January 21-22
8. Sign petition to reduced CHP fees in Chesapeake
9. VCDL Board member Pat Webb to speak at Second Monday Constitution Group in Christiansburg, tonight
10. Fifth Circuit strikes down bump stock ban
11. Virginia VCheck system went down, stopping all firearms sales!
12. Armed bingo patrons halt a shooting and hold suspect at gun point
13. Article on how the expansion of the NFA could remove certain items from having an NFA classification under the “common use” test
14. Southern Poverty Law Center’s shift toward being a gun-control organization

Lobby Day is now a week away. The General Assembly officially starts on Wednesday, January 11th. The legislative tracking system is up and running and bills are pouring in:
VCDL's 2023 Legislation Tracking Tool
More details on Lobby Day:

2. Reminder: special election for 7th State Senate seat is tomorrow, Tuesday, in Virginia Beach!

There is a special election in VA Beach next week (1/10/22) to take over Jen Kiggans' state senate seat between Democrat Aaron Rouse and Republican Kevin Adams. Kevin Adams has been endorsed by the VCDL-PAC.
Voter turnout will be key as Kiggans won the 2019 election by only 511 Votes.
If you live in the 7th District, PLEASE VOTE!

For those traveling to Richmond, or those who live in the area, VCDL will hold our annual pre-lobby day dinner at the same restaurant as the past few years. This venue offers a large room for fellowship. The food is Asian and American, with something for everyone. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet style.
Typically, several of our Senators and Delegates attend this dinner. It is a great place to speak directly to them without the time crunch of the GA Session. It's also an opportunity to meet other VCDL members from around the state and enjoy some camaraderie.
We will need to give the restaurant an idea of how many people are coming. For that reason, please RSVP as detailed below. Please follow these steps so that your response isn't missed!
SEND RSVP EMAIL TO: [email protected]
INCLUDE THE SUBJECT LINE: Lobby Day Dinner X Attending (replace the X with the number of people in your party)
Here are the details of the dinner:
Date: Sunday, 1/15/2023
Time: 5pm to 7pm
Westland Shopping Center
8087 W Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23294

Post a copy wherever you can, such as at shooting ranges, clubs, church, etc.
https://vcdl.org/resource/resmgr/pdf/2023_lobby_day_flyer-1-all_l.pdf

If you are going to Lobby Day and are in Tara Durant’s House district, please contact me at: [email protected]

Please forward this video to the higher-ed students in your life and/or post on your social media platforms.

VCDL Gun Show Call-for-Volunteers
We need member-volunteers to work at the VCDL table at the C&E Salem Gun Show on January 21 – 22, 2023 held at the Salem Civic Center.
Want to get involved? Want to be active in the fight to defend your Right to defend yourself, your family and your community? Volunteer a few hours working with VCDL at a gun show. New member volunteers and first-timers are very welcome. There are experienced volunteers on every shift to help you.
Gun shows are casual, fun events. You would be doing important work promoting your VCDL and what we do to protect and defend our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
Admission and parking is free. Many vendors offer discounts to VCDL volunteers.
VCDL will again offer FREE ADMISSION to those joining or renewing memberships at this event.
Five volunteers (per shift) are needed to help during these shifts:
Saturday the 21st,
8:00 AM to 12:30 PM
12:30 PM to 5:00 PM
Sunday the 22nd,
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Mark the dates on your calendars and contact Nat Weigle, Salem Gun Show Coordinator at [email protected] and sign up to join us.
Please Note: Positions will be filled first-come-first-served. All volunteers working at a gun show or event must be current members of VCDL.
[PVC: Many thanks to Nat Weigle for taking over as VCDL’s SWVA Gun Show Coordinator from Al Steed Jr.]

A brand-new petition to the Chesapeake City Council urging them to lower the CHP fee from $50 to $15 has been set up by member Vic Nicholls. If you live in Chesapeake, sign the petition!
Sign the Petition

9. VCDL Board member Pat Webb to speak at Second Monday Constitution Group in Christiansburg, tonight

VCDL Board Member Pat Webb will be speaking at the Second Monday Constitution Group on January 9th. The group meets at:
NRV SuperBowl
375 Arbor Drive
Christiansburg, VA

The meeting runs from 6pm to 8pm. This meeting is open to the public.

VCDL and GOA had a lawsuit to overturn the bump stock ban because the BATFE had no authority to create that ban - bump stocks are NOT machine guns. That suit failed because the 6th Circuit en banc panel had a rare tie vote.
The 5th Circuit basically heard the same case and has struck down the bump stock ban within the 5th Circuit’s jurisdiction.
Hopefully the Supreme Court will now hear the case, since there is a divide between the federal Circuit Courts.
https://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-strikes-down-ban-021124705.html

The Virginia VCheck system went down hard and it wasn’t clear when it was going to be back up. It finally came up the next day. But it showed a glaring problem in the law in Virginia: all gun sales, even private ones, were stopped dead in their tracks until that system came back up. If it took a month, then gun sales would have been stopped for a month.
While part of the fix would be at the federal level, we could put in a fix at the state level. If the VCheck system is down for more than some period of time, say 4 hours, then Universal Background checks could proceed without the background check, for example.
Of course, we ultimately want to repeal Universal Background Checks in the future.

Two Florida CHP holders stopped an attempted murder at a bingo establishment. Guns in the hands of good guys saving lives:
Armed bingo hall patrons halt shooting, hold suspect at gunpoint

13. Article on how the expansion of the NFA could remove certain items from having an NFA classification under the “common use” test

Excellent article by Oliver Krawczyk, published in the Dickenson Law School, about how the expansion of the NFA registration with machine guns, short-barreled rifles, and suppressors means those items could eventually be removed from the NFA! The U.S. Supreme Court has said firearms in “common use” are protected by the 2A…
Dangerous and Unusual: How an Expanding National Firearms Act Will Spell Its Own Demise

While never a friend of the right to keep and bear arms, the Southern Poverty Law Center has lurched even more into becoming a gun-control organization. That’s bizarre, since gun control was instituted in the South to keep blacks from owning guns.
How the Southern Poverty Law Center Morphed Into a Gun Control Advocacy Operation - The Truth About Guns

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #885 · (Edited)

· Super Moderator
75,098 Posts
Got some goings on going on up here.

Note 1, 6, 10, 11, 13, and 14.

Nemo

Lobby Day is now a week away. The General Assembly officially starts on Wednesday, January 11th. The legislative tracking system is up and running and bills are pouring in:
VCDL's 2023 Legislation Tracking Tool
More details on Lobby Day:

There is a special election in VA Beach next week (1/10/22) to take over Jen Kiggans' state senate seat between Democrat Aaron Rouse and Republican Kevin Adams. Kevin Adams has been endorsed by the VCDL-PAC.
Voter turnout will be key as Kiggans won the 2019 election by only 511 Votes.
If you live in the 7th District, PLEASE VOTE!

For those traveling to Richmond, or those who live in the area, VCDL will hold our annual pre-lobby day dinner at the same restaurant as the past few years. This venue offers a large room for fellowship. The food is Asian and American, with something for everyone. It's an all-you-can-eat buffet style.
Typically, several of our Senators and Delegates attend this dinner. It is a great place to speak directly to them without the time crunch of the GA Session. It's also an opportunity to meet other VCDL members from around the state and enjoy some camaraderie.
We will need to give the restaurant an idea of how many people are coming. For that reason, please RSVP as detailed below. Please follow these steps so that your response isn't missed!
SEND RSVP EMAIL TO: [email protected]
INCLUDE THE SUBJECT LINE: Lobby Day Dinner X Attending (replace the X with the number of people in your party)
Here are the details of the dinner:
Date: Sunday, 1/15/2023
Time: 5pm to 7pm
Westland Shopping Center
8087 W Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23294

Post a copy wherever you can, such as at shooting ranges, clubs, church, etc.
https://vcdl.org/resource/resmgr/pdf/2023_lobby_day_flyer-1-all_l.pdf

If you are going to Lobby Day and are in Tara Durant’s House district, please contact me at: [email protected]

Please forward this video to the higher-ed students in your life and/or post on your social media platforms.

We need member-volunteers to work at the VCDL table at the C&E Salem Gun Show on January 21 – 22, 2023 held at the Salem Civic Center.
Want to get involved? Want to be active in the fight to defend your Right to defend yourself, your family and your community? Volunteer a few hours working with VCDL at a gun show. New member volunteers and first-timers are very welcome. There are experienced volunteers on every shift to help you.
Gun shows are casual, fun events. You would be doing important work promoting your VCDL and what we do to protect and defend our Right to Keep and Bear Arms.
VCDL will again offer FREE ADMISSION to those joining or renewing memberships at this event.
Five volunteers (per shift) are needed to help during these shifts:
Saturday the 21st,
8:00 AM to 12:30 PM
12:30 PM to 5:00 PM
Sunday the 22nd,
9:00 AM to 1:00 PM
1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Mark the dates on your calendars and contact Nat Weigle, Salem Gun Show Coordinator at [email protected] and sign up to join us.
Please Note: Positions will be filled first-come-first-served. All volunteers working at a gun show or event must be current members of VCDL.
[PVC: Many thanks to Nat Weigle for taking over as VCDL’s SWVA Gun Show Coordinator from Al Steed Jr.]

A brand-new petition to the Chesapeake City Council urging them to lower the CHP fee from $50 to $15 has been set up by member Vic Nicholls. If you live in Chesapeake, sign the petition!
Sign the Petition

VCDL Board Member Pat Webb will be speaking at the Second Monday Constitution Group on January 9th. The group meets at:
NRV SuperBowl
375 Arbor Drive
Christiansburg, VA

The meeting runs from 6pm to 8pm. This meeting is open to the public.

VCDL and GOA had a lawsuit to overturn the bump stock ban because the BATFE had no authority to create that ban - bump stocks are NOT machine guns. That suit failed because the 6th Circuit en banc panel had a rare tie vote.
The 5th Circuit basically heard the same case and has struck down the bump stock ban within the 5th Circuit’s jurisdiction.
Hopefully the Supreme Court will now hear the case, since there is a divide between the federal Circuit Courts.
https://news.yahoo.com/appeals-court-strikes-down-ban-021124705.html

The Virginia VCheck system went down hard and it wasn’t clear when it was going to be back up. It finally came up the next day. But it showed a glaring problem in the law in Virginia: all gun sales, even private ones, were stopped dead in their tracks until that system came back up. If it took a month, then gun sales would have been stopped for a month.
While part of the fix would be at the federal level, we could put in a fix at the state level. If the VCheck system is down for more than some period of time, say 4 hours, then Universal Background checks could proceed without the background check, for example.
Of course, we ultimately want to repeal Universal Background Checks in the future.

Two Florida CHP holders stopped an attempted murder at a bingo establishment. Guns in the hands of good guys saving lives:
Armed bingo hall patrons halt shooting, hold suspect at gunpoint

Excellent article by Oliver Krawczyk, published in the Dickenson Law School, about how the expansion of the NFA registration with machine guns, short-barreled rifles, and suppressors means those items could eventually be removed from the NFA! The U.S. Supreme Court has said firearms in “common use” are protected by the 2A…
Dangerous and Unusual: How an Expanding National Firearms Act Will Spell Its Own Demise

While never a friend of the right to keep and bear arms, the Southern Poverty Law Center has lurched even more into becoming a gun-control organization. That’s bizarre, since gun control was instituted in the South to keep blacks from owning guns.
How the Southern Poverty Law Center Morphed Into a Gun Control Advocacy Operation - The Truth About Guns

13 could use its own thread!

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #887 ·
Done

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 ·
Update on pending legislation in Richmond. If this interests you, check back often, its soon going to get busy.

Nemo

Here we go! Gun-control bills are flooding in and most are really bad. Bills can continue to appear up until Friday, January 20.
Lobby Day is January 16 and this is why you need to be there. Start watching emails during the day for legislative action items:
There are currently 16 gun-rights bills and 22 gun-control bills that have been introduced.

Gun-control bills have been introduced to:
  • Expand the definition of “assault firearm” to include any handgun or rifle that has a detachable magazine of any capacity and has any of a list of cosmetic features; any semiautomatic rifle with a fixed magazine that holds more than 12 rounds; any semiautomatic shotgun that holds more than 7 rounds of the shortest ammunition it can shoot.
  • Ban all “assault firearms” made after July 1, 2023
  • Prohibit the sale or transfer of existing “assault firearms”
  • Prohibit “Assault firearms” from being owned or possessed by anyone under 21
  • Prohibit the carry of “Assault firearms” in public places
  • Prohibit the sale or transfer of existing magazines that hold more than 10 rounds
  • Ban new magazines that hold more than 10 rounds after July 1, 2023. Existing magazines that hold more than 10 rounds must be destroyed, turned over to the Commonwealth, or taken out of state by January 1, 2024
  • Prohibit the purchase or sale of suppressors after July 1, 2023
  • Expand the Red Flag law to look back six months into a person’s history, including if they bought any guns or ammo
  • Require guns and ammo to be locked up, unless on your person, if there is someone in your house that is under 18 years old. Guns must be stored unloaded in a locked container and ammo must be stored in a separate locked container, making the guns totally useless. A loaded handgun can only be stored in a biometric safe
  • Disqualify NRA certified firearms instructors from teaching CHP classes, making classes hard to find and expensive
  • Create a mandatory 3-day waiting period on firearm purchases
  • Take away a person’s right to purchase or transport a handgun for 5 years for two misdemeanor convictions of DWI in a 5-year period
  • Make hard body armor illegal for anyone but the government to wear in public
  • Require that firearms must be left in a locked vehicle AND must be locked in a container. Failure to do this is a $500 civil fine AND your car can be towed away
  • Require homemade receivers be serialized, including a chunk of aluminum that could be made into a receiver
  • Create a state-funded gun buy-up program where guns turned in must be destroyed
  • Take away gun-rights for three years for misdemeanor battery on a dating partner
  • Require firearms sold after July 1, 2025 have a microstamping capability. This will mean no guns can be sold after July 1, 2025 since no manufacturer has a gun that microstamps and none are on the horizon

Gun-rights bills introduced so far (more coming):
  • Constitutional Carry
  • Remove localities’ ability to ban guns in parks, permitted events, and community and recreation centers
  • Removes 30-day wait to purchase a firearm after getting a new driver’s license
  • Allow CHP holders to store guns in their vehicle when parking on private property that is open to the public, regardless of any prohibition of guns on that property
  • Repeal the gun ban for CHP holders carrying in the General Assembly, Capitol, Capitol Square, rest stops, and in state agencies
  • Repeal of ban on carrying a loaded firearm with a magazine that holds more than 20 rounds in certain localities (18.2-287.4)
  • Red Flag law repeal
  • Extend the expiration of CHPs from 5 years to 10 years
  • Switchblades can be concealed, such as in a pocket

There is a provision for temporarily and securely storing your firearm near the General Assembly so you can attend the rally at 11am and go into the General Assembly to Lobby. Click here for details.
To track gun bills during the session, click here for the VCDL legislative tracking system: VCDL's 2023 Legislation Tracking Tool
Also, if you are on Twitter, follow VCDL_ORG, as I will be posting votes in committee and subcommittee as they happen. Other quick breaking news will be posted there.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #889 ·
Success in a smaller city up here. City council shot it down first time, but elections do make a difference.

Nemo

· Super Moderator
75,098 Posts
What does that mean, in practice, in Lynchburg? How is my life in Lynchburg different before and after this sanctuary city stuff? Can I parade down Main Street with an unregistered, full auto M4, joyously celebrating Liberty In Lynchburg? No? Does it mean anything else? Would it make my life different if I lived there?

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #891 · (Edited)
Just the political aspects of it. One less spot of black on a sea of green. Black being the few spots in VA not making the declaration and Green being the 2A Sanctuary areas.

Simple statements to Fed and Govt that we do not like the local regulatory ability.

Nemo

Dolan says the resolution holds no legal impact and any legal decisions around gun laws will be made through courts.

World Font Slope Line Terrestrial plant

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #892 ·
Update and bill analysis link.

Nemo

VCDL’s Firearm Bill Analysis document for the 2023 General Assembly Session (as of January 16, 2023) is ready!
If you would like a copy of the document being handed out to legislators on Monday, January 16, 2023, click here:
https://vcdl.org/resource/resmgr/pdf/vcdl_gun_bill_analysis_2023.pdf
-
Bloomberg’s gun-control group had their Lobby Day Friday. Their rally was in the same place that Patrick Henry gave his famous, “Give me liberty or give me death” speech, St. John’s Church. Patrick Henry is surely turning over in his grave that the Moms Demand Tyranny held that event there.
One of our members in attendance counted around 125 people in the Demanding Moms shirts. A newspaper article said there were 250. Based on the photo sent to me, I’m going with the 125. No matter how many of them showed up, WE need to show up in large numbers.
Moms Demand Action: Virginia governor putting politics over safety of communities
-
Reminder: Pre-Lobby Day Dinner TONIGHT, Sunday, January 15, in Richmond from 5pm to 7pm:
WHERE: Hibachi Sushi and Supreme Buffet
Westland Shopping Center
8087 West Broad Street
Henrico, VA 23294

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
One GOOD bill up for hearing.

I imagine its been done already a bunch of times.

Real headache life will not permit me to visit Richmond tomorrow. DAMMITOLTIMES138

Nemo

A major gun-rights bill could be heard as early as Monday morning in a Senate committee. It could be delayed, but let’s get this message out either way.
SB 1236 was introduced by Senator Obenshain and it repeals the power of localities, like Richmond or Fairfax County, to prohibit firearms in parks, at permitted events, or in community and recreation centers!
Click here to send a prewritten email message to your Senator. It also includes a calling feature if you wish to also call your Senator to urge him or her to support SB 1236.
Please do this ASAP!

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
Lobby Day 2023.

Nemo

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #896 · (Edited)
AAR on Lobby Day.

Nemo

Lobby Day 2023 Wrap Up

We estimate that we had 500 or so people at Lobby Day, about 300 of which attended the Rally at the Bell Tower. (Some left before the rally and others came later in the day.) The weather was beautiful, much warmer than usual.

The numbers attending Lobby Day this year were down from one to two thousand in a typical year.

Oh, I get it – guns are prohibited. We need to fix that, but to those who didn’t show up for that reason, the gun controllers will want to give them a great big kiss. That is exactly what they want gun owners to do. Just shut up and go away because we can’t carry.

I promise you that no one hates that situation more than I do. But if showing up unarmed will help us remove that and other restrictions on our right to keep and bear arms, then that’s what we need to do. Period.

We did have a storage facility where guns could be checked, thanks to member Brandon Howard. There was a safe place to unload and load guns and there were two armed guards making sure any guns were protected from theft. Richmond PD was also watching the area. I used the gun storage service as did others and it worked great. Brandon had a system set up to prevent anyone from retrieving a firearm that was not theirs, including presenting ID and a receipt. Brandon spent a very long day running that facility.

We expect to have that gun storage facility at Lobby Day next year (January 15, 2024), as well.

We had very well staffed lobbying teams that allowed us to contact all 140 legislators and leave a copy of the VCDL Firearm Bill Analysis document with them. I heard a lot of compliments on all the VCDL members lobbying in the building!

Many, many thanks to those 17 teams and their team leaders! Also, member Kristi Horton did a super job again this year in coordinating all those teams!

VCDL is blessed with so many great volunteers!

We had some excellent speakers at the rally, including:

• Delegates John McGuire and A.C. Cordoza
  • Senator Amanda Chase
  • John Crump with GOA, who is also an investigative reporter on gun issues
  • Jeff Katz, with WRVA radio in Richmond.Jeff hosts a show during the week from 3 to 6pm and is a strong voice for gun rights and freedom
  • Al Evans, with our new VCDL-University
  • Gilbert Ambler, VCDL Board member and gun attorney
  • Leon Benjamin, a preacher, who really energized the crowd talking about his candidacy to replace deceased Congressman Donald McEachin

Many thanks to all the others who made Lobby Day a success: Bruce Jackson, brought in all of VCDL’s “stuff,” including our speaker system, and a host of other equipment and documents. He was worn out at the end of the event. Pat Webb, who was keeping an eye on the various moving parts of Lobby Day and helped me with attending the committee hearings that had gun bills in them. Matt Gottshalk, Gary O’Brian, Curt Diemer, and Mike Poff who recorded and/or photographed key parts of Lobby Day. Finally, Brendan Mooney, who flew all the way from Idaho to help with Lobby Day!

The Lobby Day video will be released once it is ready.

Here is some media coverage of Lobby Day:

Virginians set to rally on Lobby Day
Virginians set to rally on Lobby Day

Constitutional carry and safe storage at forefront of Lobby Day gun laws
Constitutional carry and safe storage at forefront of Lobby Day gun laws - NewsBreak

Lobby Day draws hundreds to Virginia Statehouse
Lobby Day draws hundreds to Virginia Statehouse

Some good photos in this one:

Fight over guns center of annual Virginia lobbying day (msn.com)

Possible gun waiting period in Virginia angers gun rights supporters, divides lawmakers
Possible gun waiting period in Virginia angers gun rights supporters, divides lawmakers - WTOP News

The Washington Post covered the story, too.

I take the blame for being unclear in one of my statements to the reporter, while in another part of the story the reporter left out some key information, which is misleading to the reader.

I put this in the comment section of that article to explain:

Two comments on the article:

1) I take the blame for not being clear with the reporter on not working with other groups. We work with other groups all the time. But we only work with 2A groups, not groups that have other agendas, as it would look like VCDL shares that other agenda (be it pro-life, pro-choice, etc.). The only agenda VCDL has is protecting the right to keep and bear arms.

2) This one is on the reporter. He didn't mention a key point that the BLM 757 group showed up unannounced at the rally and in the middle of the rally they approached me and asked to be able to speak! (The article makes it sound like I had been approached before the rally and kept turning them away.) We already had a full agenda with speakers lined up well in advance. They should have contacted me before Lobby Day and not just show up and demand time on the microphone. We are strictly limited to one hour and we used every bit of that as it was.

Recent shootings raise stakes for pro-gun lobbyists in Richmond
https://wapo.st/3iOYl2U

(804) 639-0600
Website

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #897 ·
Another news report.

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #898 ·

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #899 · (Edited)
News.

Nemo

1. ATF finally releases braced pistol regulation
2. VCDL lawyer talks about why you may not want to register your braced pistol [VIDEO]
3. Good news! Lynchburg becomes Virginia’s latest 2A Sanctuary!
4. Article on Virginia Senate and House Democrats pushing gun control
5. Help needed: Fredericksburg gun show on January 28 - 29
6. 2023 CMP match schedule at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club
7. Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club expands membership requirement to include VCDL!
8. Second Amendment is a blessing, not a curse
9. Cultural shift toward self-defense at SCOTUS? [VIDEO]
10. [NY] Guns saving lives: armed Applebee’s customer stops knife attack
11. [GA] Criminal picks the wrong gas station to rob. Not one, not two, but THREE armed citizens put an end to it
12. [FL] Armed good guys stop man who took a shot at a woman

1. ATF finally releases braced pistol regulation

NOTE: Be sure to read item #2, below, after reading this part.

ATF has pretty much said that pistols with braces are short-barreled rifles and need to be registered as an NFA item.

ATF Unveils Pistol Brace Rule Everything Is An SBR!
ATF Unveils Pistol Brace Rule...Everything Is An SBR!

-

ATF Final Rule: Stabilizer Brace Owners Have 120 Days to Register Them
ATF Final Rule: Stabilizer Brace Owners Have 120 Days to Register Them

-

ATF Ruling Explanation by Anthony - He is an Attorney

-

VCDL Attorney Gilbert Ambler’s take:

An Abrasive New Rule From the ATF

2. VCDL lawyer talks about why you may not want to register your braced pistol [VIDEO]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndHI5rcrKaU&t=25

3. Good news! Lynchburg becomes Virginia’s latest 2A Sanctuary!

This happened earlier this month. I drove all the way out to Lynchburg to be at the meeting that evening, only to find out that City Council had voted to become a sanctuary earlier that day in their work session! The vote was 5 to 2. Both Democrats voted against it (surprise!). Opposing becoming a 2A Sanctuary back in 2020 cost three Democrats their seat.

Virginia city declares itself a Second Amendment sanctuary

4. Article on Virginia Senate and House Democrats pushing gun control

Main article on Dems gun-control efforts:

https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_fee39746-9371-11ed-a6ac-1736e2334988.html

-

Delegate Filler-Corn has introduced a microstamping bill. A gun controller introducing a bill on a subject she knows nothing about – microstamping. Microstamping is supposed to stamp identifying information on cartridges when they are fired. It is super easy to disable microstamping: replace the firing pin, take a file and remove the stamp, or use a revolver (which doesn’t eject empty casings). Criminals could confuse the police by grabbing empty casings at a shooting range and spreading them around a crime scene.

https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_6d61b212-6fd3-5c7b-88b9-ee87684025de.html

-

Senator Morrissey wants to ban “assault firearms:”

State senator wants to ban the carry, sale of certain guns in Virginia

5. Help needed: Fredericksburg gun show on January 28 - 29

We need member-volunteers to work at the VCDL table at SGK’s Gun show in Fredericksburg, VA on January 28/29, 2023 held at:

Fredericksburg Expo & Conference Center
2371 Carl D. Silver Pkwy
Fredericksburg, VA 22401

Want to get involved? Want to be active in the fight to defend your Right to defend yourself, your family and your community? Volunteer a few hours working with VCDL at a gun show.

New member volunteers and first-timers are very welcome. There are experienced volunteers on every shift to help you.

Saturday the 28th,
Morning - 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM & Afternoon - 1:00 PM to 5:00 PM

Sunday the 29th,
Morning - 10:00 AM to 1:00 PM & Afternoon - 1:00 PM to 4:00 PM

Mark the dates on your calendar and contact Jamie Brannan at [email protected] if you would like to volunteer.

Please Note: Positions will be filled first-come-first-served. All volunteers working at a gun show must be current members of VCDL.

6. 2023 CMP match schedule at Fairfax Rod & Gun Club

From Mike Irvin, VCDL’s CMP coordinator:

The Fairfax Rod & Gun Club is holding an Excellence in Competition (EIC) Service Pistol, Service Revolver & .22 Rimfire Pistol EIC Matches on April 23, May 28, June 25, August 27 and September 24, 2023. The location of the range is: 7039 Signal Hill Road, Manassas, VA. Match Begins: 2PM.

For more information you may contact the match director: Charles Nothom at [email protected].

Please post this information for all your club members to see. Thank you for helping make the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club EIC Service Pistol, Service Revolver & .22 Rimfire Pistol EIC Match a success.

For information on holding your own CMP affiliated match please check out the CMP Competitions Webpage at Compete - Civilian Marksmanship Program.

7. Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club expands membership requirement to include VCDL!

Most gun clubs require their members also be members of the NRA.

The Roanoke Rifle and Revolver Club decided to allow its members the option of having either an NRA or a VCDL membership!

From the Club’s “Firing Line” monthly newsletter for January 2023:

In past years one must be a member of NRA to be able to join RRRC due to insurance coverage requirements.

NEW for 2023--Members may be a member of NRA--OR---VCDL in order to join or renew RRRC Club Membership.

RRRC Membership information may be requested from RRRC; PO Box 12453, Roanoke VA 24025: At the SALEM GUN SHOWS, RRRC Table across the aisle from the VCDL table; via phone: Membership Chair: NICKY LeBlanc 540-293-8002

8. Second Amendment is a blessing, not a curse

Examples of defensive gun uses in 2022:

Second Amendment Blessing in Year-End Accounts of Defensive Gun Use

9. Cultural shift toward self-defense at SCOTUS? [VIDEO]

10. [NY] Guns saving lives: armed Applebee’s customer stops knife attack

New York, of all places:

Gun-wielding Applebee's customer intervenes when man attacks staff with knife: police
Gun-wielding Applebee's customer intervenes when man attacks staff with knife: police

11. [GA] Criminal picks the wrong gas station to rob. Not one, not two, but THREE armed citizens put an end to it

Talk about instant karma! This bad guy really made a bad choice in a robbery attempt. Lots of gun owners in Georgia, like Virginia. And contrary to a talking point of gun grabbers, the police had no problem figuring out who the bad guy was.

Armed robber picks target full of armed citizens

12. [FL] Armed good guys stop man who took a shot at a woman

In this case there were TWO armed citizens who stepped up to the plate and, again, the police had no problem figuring out who the bad guy was:

Armed Samaritans Draw Guns on Shooter in Florida Bingo Parlor

· Man of Myth and Legend
20,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #900 ·
Political Lobbying working well up here.

Nemo

Important update on Senator Bill DeSteph’s two bills

Bottom line: Senator DeSteph had no ill intent. Details:

VCDL has decided to shift to neutral on SB 1492, as it doesn’t take anything away from Virginia’s CHP holders that wasn’t already taken back in 2020.

HB 1407, Delegate Brewer, is a superior bill in the House as it exempts CHP holders from the gun ban in state agencies, the Capitol, Capitol Square, and the General Assembly Building. That exemption would also have covered the police officers in SB 1492.

Senator DeSteph was not attempting to do any harm to gun owners with SB 1492, he was just trying to help off-duty and retired State Police. The issue is that gun owners are tired of feeling like second class citizens when it comes to OUR right to keep and bear arms.

-

On SB 1489, which bans guns in hospitals, I talked to the hospital lobbyists behind that bill today. It was a pleasant conversation, but in the end, I told them the ONLY way VCDL would drop its complete opposition to the bill is if CHP holders are specifically exempted. The lobbyists are now running that by the hospital and I’ve not heard if that change was acceptable or not.

Once I had a chance to talk to Senator DeSteph on Friday, it turns out that the introduction of this gun-control bill was based on a bizarre comedy of errors, leading to confusion and misunderstanding. Luckily, the legislative system provides the opportunity to correct and vet issues between the time the bill is introduced and when it is first heard in committee.

I have been working closely with Senator DeSteph and he has assured me that if VCDL is not onboard with the final bill, he will withdraw it on Monday before any votes are taken on it. Unless the hospital accepts CHP holders being exempt, VCDL will NOT be onboard.

Senator DeSteph has had a 100% pro-gun voting record for years, so I was perplexed by the introduction of SB 1489. I am satisfied that, like SB 1492, there was no ill intent on his part.

Watch for an alert tomorrow (Sunday) on gun bills being heard on Monday morning.

(804) 639-0600
Website

881 - 900 of 904 Posts