Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
681 - 700 of 877 Posts

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #681 ·
#9 is interesting comments by the State Fire Marshall.

Nemo

Virginia Citizens Defense League
Defending Your Right to Defend Yourself
VA-ALERT
1. Update on Albemarle County
2. If you haven’t sent comments on the BATFE’s proposed homemade gun ban or pistol-brace ban, do so now
3. Help needed: Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show, August 6-8 at Richmond Raceway
4. VCDL still needs some gun show coordinators!
5. WVEC-13 - lopsided story on gun violence insinuates that increase in CHP holders caused increase in violence committed with guns
6. ‘Epidemic’ of gun violence prompts call for Virginia to use federal dollars to curb shootings
7. National Review article says gun control is the enemy of the People
8. Replay of last week’s monthly VCDL virtual membership meeting
9. Virginia State fire marshal makes pro-gun statement after being robbed at gun point
10. Dr. John Lott talks in depth about gun control on C-SPAN [VIDEO]

1. Update on Albemarle County

I received an email today from Emily Kilroy with Albemarle County. She said the hearing on gun control tomorrow will NOT be limited to ten speakers (there is a limit of ten for people who are speaking on items not on the agenda).
If you have not signed up to speak, you must do so before the hearing. Instructions are below.
I also forgot to thank Steve Harvey, who is organizing the rally tomorrow.
There WILL be press at the rally, so let’s have a strong showing!
I was interviewed on the Rob Schilling show this afternoon and should be on Channel 29, NBC, in Charlottesville this evening.

ACTION ITEMS
To get our voices heard, a rally is being held to protest the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors infringing on the right to keep and bear arms by Virginians.
Gun owners MUST stand together and help protect each other’s rights. An attack on gun owners in any locality is an attack on ALL gun owners and needs to be treated as such! Whether you live in Albemarle County, Charlottesville, any of the surrounding localities, or wherever, we need to stand together in unity against this betrayal of our rights!
Date: Wednesday, July 21
Time: 5 pm (the virtual Board of Supervisors meeting starts at 6 pm)
401 McIntire Road
Charlottesville, VA 22902

Carry is legal at the rally.
I will be at the rally before I head to Orange County to speak at a Republican Committee meeting (7 pm at the Silk Mill and Grill, 101 Woodmark St., Orange, VA 22906). See you there (or, perhaps, at both places)!

----

If you wish to participate in the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Zoom hearing at 6 pm, here is a link to the guidelines.
Talking points:
  • This is a solution in search of a problem. Albemarle County has not had any incidents that justify this infringement on the rights of the citizens of the County
  • Alexandria’s shooting went up 40% beginning the month their ordinance took effect and has stayed up. This ordinance will only embolden those bent on harming others
  • Only 12 localities out of 194 (six percent) have passed this kind of local gun-control, putting the County out of step with 94% of the state and the surrounding counties
  • Parks have remote areas that police simply cannot cover or secure
  • VCDL is suing Winchester and the NRA is suing Fairfax County over a similar gun ban there

2. If you haven’t sent comments on the BATFE’s proposed homemade gun ban or pistol-brace ban, do so now

There is still time to tell the BATFE to drop their proposed regulations on homemade guns and pistol braces:
Ghost gun ban initiative
https://www.gunowners.org/na05252021/
Pistol brace ban initiative
https://www.gunowners.org/na06102021/

3. Help needed: Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show, August 6-8 at Richmond Raceway

HELP WANTED!
VCDL needs member-volunteers.
Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show.
August 6, 7, 8, 2021
Richmond Raceway

VCDL volunteers are needed to help in scheduled 3 or 4 hour shifts. Positions are open now and are first-come-first-served.
This is VCDL's first time having a booth at this event and we expect the shifts will be filled quickly!
No previous show experience is necessary. First time volunteers are very welcome.
For more information and to sign up to help, please contact:
Rowley Molina at: [email protected]

4. VCDL still needs some gun show coordinators!

VCDL Members!!
You frequently ask... "What can I do to help in the fight to expand, protect and defend our Second Amendment Rights in Virginia?"
Become part of our gun show leadership teams!

• So many of you regularly volunteer to help VCDL at gun shows in your towns.
  • Many of you are currently managers or supervisors.
  • Many of you were managers / supervisors in the past.
By volunteering in the past, you've shown your commitment to the defense of our Firearm Rights.
As a manager or supervisor you have the skills needed to run a VCDL gun show display and volunteer team.
As a volunteer gun show coordinator you will be at the front lines of the fight at four to six shows a year, helping to lead a crew of VCDL member-volunteers.
Your gun show or work experience is helpful, but not required.
There are immediate openings in Fredericksburg and the Roanoke - Salem area.
Fredericksburg
Contact Rowley Molina - [email protected]

Roanoke - Salem
Contact Al Steed - [email protected]

VCDL State Gun Show Coordinator
Mike Wilburt - [email protected]

You are well aware of the Second Amendment challenges we face at the local, state and federal levels.
In Virginia, no organization is more active and committed to the cause than The Virginia Citizens Defense League.
Be a part of it! Contact us today!

5. WVEC-13 - lopsided story on gun violence insinuates that increase in CHP holders caused increase in violence committed with guns

WVEC-13 shows now NOT to create a balanced new story. Here they give tons of time to a spokesman for a gun-control group, Andrew Goddard, and zero time to a gun-rights group. So, the story ends up tilting all the way in one direction, to the point that CHP holders are ridiculously implied to be causing the uptick in violence in Virginia.
Goddard loves to claim that people carrying concealed handguns are not reducing crime. Sigh. CHP holders don’t carry guns to reduce crime and CHP laws were not created to reduce crime. Enforcing laws and putting violent criminals behind bars for long periods of time does lower crime rates. But, CHP holders do not enforce laws – law enforcement does that. CHP holders carry guns to protect themselves and their families. Period.
Goddard also quotes gun “studies” from 17 years ago, that have since been debunked, about the dangers of having a gun in the home outweighing the benefits. The reporter didn’t bother to check on the validity of those “studies.” If he would have checked with a gun-rights organization, he wouldn’t have blindly repeated incorrect information.
Goddard actually believes the fantasy that guns can be kept out of the hands of violent criminals and he said so in the story. Too bad Goddard never served in law enforcement or he would know better.
The story has no mention of defunding the police, restricting police from enforcing laws against rioters, early release of violent criminals back on the streets, restricting where gun owners can carry, etc. as causes of the increase in violent crime.
https://youtu.be/8GXv0UBmwgg

6. ‘Epidemic’ of gun violence prompts call for Virginia to use federal dollars to curb shootings

What a coincidence (cough, cough) that crimes involving the misuse of firearms dramatically increased after the Democrat lawmakers in Richmond passed all that gun control last year! We told those lawmakers that would happen, but they owed Michael Bloomberg some payback. They clearly have their priorities.
Democrats defunding/restricting the police, letting violent criminals out of jail early, and reducing criminal penalties didn’t help either.
Gee, it’s almost as if someone wants a crimewave so that government can offer us a “solution.”
https://www.virginiamercury.com/2021/07/19/epidemic-of-gun-violence-prompts-call-for-virginia-to-use-federal-dollars-to-curb-shootings/

7. National Review article says gun control is the enemy of the People

https://www.libertyparkpress.com/national-review-article-says-gun-control-is-enemy-of-the-people/

8. Replay of last week’s monthly VCDL virtual membership meeting

If you missed our LIVE meeting last week, here is the replay:
This evening's VCDL meeting started off with Phillip talking about existing lawsuits and other VCDL business. Then special guest Maj Toure joined us (33 min mark) and spoke about what's important to him and actually all of us. During his presentation, we lost Internet connection and the video dropped for about one minute. We rejoined the video after the minute and continued on. At the end of our meeting, Sarah Max joined us (1 hour mark) and talked about an upcoming benefit for VCDL members from Aflac.
https://youtu.be/Uo4k_Zd35zE

9. Virginia State fire marshal makes pro-gun statement after being robbed at gun point

“’It taught me never to leave the house unprotected, even if I’m just going to get ice cream,’ Jones said.”
Welcome to the world of self-defense and understanding the critical importance of the right to keep and bear arms, sir. Luck saved you from being the guest of honor at a funeral.
https://www.wtvr.com/news/local-news/state-fire-marshal-robbed-at-gunpoint-in-petersburg

10. Dr. John Lott talks in depth about gun control on C-SPAN [VIDEO]

https://www.c-span.org/video/?51320
9-3/washington-journal-john-lott-discusses-gun-violence-us
PO Box 513, Newington, VA 22122-0513
(804) 639-0600
Website
: www.vcdl.org

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #683 ·
We have Commonwealth House of Delegates, Governor, Lt Gov, and AG elections this year. Look at what we have going on. Get your azzes to work down there so you are not fighting this next year.

Terry McCauliffe was gov 4 years ago but a Gov cannot succeed himself. He can take 4 years off and serve again.

Nemo

[firearmspolicy.org]

Nemo --

If you thought Terry McAuliffe was bad the first time around, wait until you hear what gun control initiatives Terry 2.0 is promoting now. Virginia's political landscape changed drastically under McAuliffe's tenure as governor, and not in a good way. However, he was unable to get the majority of his gun control policies implemented due to the state legislature. Unfortunately, as Virginia's gun rights proponents know all too well, the state legislature is now in the hands of the gun control majority.

Former governor and current gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe joined Gabby Giffords, of the Giffords gun control group, at a round table and spouted off his wish list of gun control legislation he would like to see passed if he were to become governor of Virginia again. "Right off January, we're going to start passing all this stuff: Ban the sale of assault weapons, get rid of the high-capacity magazines, ban the ghost guns. We'll have it out in January," predicted Terry 2.0. The ever-eager McAuliffe seems to be putting the cart before the horse here a little bit.
I hate to make you imagine this potential reality, but if Terry 2.0 is successful in his race and both chambers of the state legislature maintain gun control majorities, it could be a very dark period for gun rights in the Old Dominion. To fight back, we are asking for you to sign our petition for the 2022 legislative cycle. Just click one of the red "Prevent More Virginia Gun Control" buttons in this email, and we will keep your email responses until the 2022 legislative session begins. That way the people making the decisions will get an inbox full of pro-gun patriots blasting any gun control efforts right at the start of the session. Remember, THEY WORK FOR YOU!

We at the Firearms Policy Coalition thank you in advance for stepping up and being proactive against the impending gun control push in Virginia. We encourage you to share this email with like-minded friends/family/co-workers in an effort to have the largest impact possible when the new legislative session begins. Continue to stay informed and keep vigilant to ensure that we can fight back and win together! If you haven't done so already, go to JoinFPC.org to become a member of the FPC Grassroots Army TODAY!
Yours in Liberty,
Trey Ramsey
Grassroots Manager
Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC)
[email protected]
http://www.firearmspolicy.org/

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #684 ·
See, some things work. Someone once said something about a small group of dedicated people can accomplish great things. Bigger groups can do more, faster and free'er.

Remember you have elections coming up soon.

Nemo

VA-ALERT
Sorry for the delay in the alert. The video of the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors (BoS) meeting on local gun-control from Wednesday night was finally posted late yesterday and I watched it in its entirety for this report. (I couldn’t watch it live as I had another engagement after the rally and was out of pocket.)
Between 5 and 6 pm, there were over 100 people at the rally (arranged by Steve Harvey) in opposition to any local gun-control. Steve (who is running to be on the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors against incumbent Ann Mallek), Delegate Matt Fariss, Delegate Chris Runion, as well as candidate Philip Hamilton (running for the House of Delegates District 57 Albemarle/Charlottesville), and I addressed the GSL-stickered crowd. At 6 pm many at the rally got on their cellphone to call into the Virtual Board of Supervisors hearing.
Since I could not speak at the hearing, I authorized Pat Webb and Ed Levine to speak on behalf of VCDL. Both did so and did an excellent job.
In the end, the Board of Supervisors did NOT vote on the proposed ordinance and won’t do so until at least August 18. That’s because many key changes had been proposed and the supervisors wanted to have the new ordinance redrafted before they voted on it. Fair enough. So, for now nothing has changed regarding firearms in Albemarle County.

MY READING OF THE TEA LEAVES
Based on the discussion by the BoS members before and after they listened to the public testimony (there were only two people who called in support of the proposed ordinance), I believe the ordinance WILL pass in some form. I believe that the ordinance will likely include an exemption of some sort for CHP holders. Finally, I expect that the ordinance will allow for storage of guns in vehicles while on park property.

DISCUSSION
It was clear that open carry is abhorrent to the supervisors, but all seemed open to allowing for some kind of exemption for CHP holders.
Most of the supervisors admitted to not knowing much about guns and asked quite a few questions about guns, components, ammunition, CHPs, and CHP holders. Supervisor Price noted that she has a CHP, as did the County Attorney. It’s too bad the other supervisors hadn’t gotten CHPs as well.
Worth noting was that Supervisor Price said that all CHP holders, including County employees, should be allowed to carry. The employees with CHPs carrying suggestion did not get much of a response from the other supervisors, but Albemarle County would not be the first county in Virginia to do this. Bedford County, for example, passed such an employment policy some years ago and it has been quite successful.
As usual with such hearings, there was a lot of misinformation and unrealistic firearm-use scenarios presented. The County Attorney, the Police Chief, the County Executive, and some of the callers cleared up much of the misinformation.
When the Police Chief was asked about whether having armed citizens in the BoS meetings was a good or bad idea, the Chief said that each scenario is different. The Chief noted a study that showed police usually get to the scene of a public mass-shooting after the shooting is over (such shootings typically only last thirty seconds to one minute). That same study showed that in 40% of the shootings, citizens, armed and unarmed, stopped the murderer before police could get there.

SUMMARY

There is clearly no need for this ordinance at all in Albemarle County. The ordinance, in any form, infringes on the rights of citizens and would take the County out of lockstep with the counties surrounding them, as well as 94% of the localities in the Commonwealth.
Dislike of open carry is what seems to be mostly driving the effort for the ordinance. While exempting CHP holders is a major improvement over the original ordinance, that still leaves those law-abiding gun-owners who don’t have a CHP, or maybe don’t want a CHP, without a way to protect themselves in County buildings, parks, and recreation and community centers.
It is unlikely that the BoS will have another hearing before they vote next month. As soon as I get a copy of the revised ordinance, I’ll let you know.

ACTION ITEM
We can continue to contact the Board of Supervisors and politely urge them to just walk away from any changes to the gun laws in the County, as no changes to gun laws are needed.
To send an email to the entire Board of Supervisors at one time, click here: [email protected]
-
Thanks to all of you who are helping with this!

Media Coverage of Hearing
Protesters gather to tell Albemarle BOS 'hands off my guns'
WATCH NOW: Dozens protest Albemarle's proposed ban on firearms on county-owned property
https://www.nbc29.com/2021/07/20/gun-owners-plan-rally-ahead-proposed-firearm-ordinance-albemarle-co/
After Pushback, Virginia County Delays Vote On Gun Ban

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #685 ·
New Stuff, getting political here, Commonwealth Gov Elections In Nov.

Nemo

VA-ALERT
1. Help still needed: Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show at Richmond Raceway Complex THIS weekend!
2. Help needed: Green Top Outdoor Expo on October 2 – 3
3. R.I.P. member Deborah Jane Anderson
4. R.I.P. member Lee Taylor
5. Gun controllers: if the facts don’t say what you want, just redefine the words and terms
6. Babylon Bee: Top 10 reasons you should turn your guns over to the government TODAY
7. Everything is “racist,” now including the Second Amendment. (Nice try, no cigar)
8. Dr. John Lott: Biden ignores the fact that 92% of violent crime does NOT involve a gun!
9. YET ANOTHER of Michael Bloomberg’s gun-control leaders has been charged with a crime
10. “No guns” signs at Virginia rest stops

1. Help still needed: Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show at Richmond Raceway Complex THIS weekend!

HELP STILL NEEDED: Virginia Outdoor Sportsman Show at Richmond Raceway Complex this weekend.
Volunteers are needed for the following shifts:
Saturday, August 7: 2:00pm-6:00pm
Sunday, August 8: 10:00am -1:30pm / 1:30pm-5:00pm

Register online or contact Rowley Molina at [email protected].

2. Help needed: Green Top Outdoor Expo on October 2 – 3

BACK AGAIN!
The Green Top Outdoor Expo was canceled
in 2020 because of the COVID-19 lockdown.

But on October 2-3, 2021 - the Expo is back
and bigger than ever!

Member-volunteers are needed to help in the VCDL booth.
Each day is divided into shifts:
Saturday, 10/2, 7:30am-11am / 11am-3pm / 3pm-7pm
Sunday, 10/3, 9am-1:30pm / 1:30pm-6pm

All volunteers must be current VCDL members
Positions will be filled quickly, first-come, first-served, so pick at least a couple of shift choices.
To request a shift or ask questions, contact:
Rowley Molina - [email protected]
Mike Wilburt - [email protected]

3. R.I.P. member Deborah Jane Anderson

It’s with a heavy heart that I report passing of Deborah Jane Anderson, one of VCDL’s long-time NoVA members.
I’ve known Deborah for many years - she was very active in VCDL since the early 2000s.
Deborah married VCDL member Mark Anderson in 2007. Even to the end, they doted on each other. It was a wonderful thing to behold. This is a huge loss for Mark and VCDL wishes him Godspeed. Keep him in your prayers.
I asked Mark to give me something about Deborah for the alert. He sent me this:
Deborah hunted with long guns where she grew up in extreme north western Michigan, but at the time of our first meeting, had never fired a handgun. One of our early dates was to a shooting range to try out a few pistols.
Deborah was special in so many ways. Anything that was important to me was important to her, just because it was important to me. She gladly helped staff the VCDL table during gun shows and loved the VCDL meetings and activities I introduced her to.
A former DC elected official (ANC Commissioner), Deborah lived in DC and had many contacts in DC government. She testified at city council meetings discussing gun issues and encouraged me to do the same, which I happily did. When I became a concealed firearms permit instructor (Discover Shooting), she happily came to almost every gun show and so enjoyed talking to people about their second amendment rights as well as other political issues.
Deborah was also a professional musician and singer. At the June gun show in Chantilly, she sang the national anthem 3 times, Saturday afternoon, Sunday morning and Sunday afternoon. I'm told one of those renditions can be found on the Nation's Gun Show FaceBook page. [Link: Log in or sign up to view]
Deborah rarely complained of pain, discomfort or limited mobility. She did everything she could to make our life together as normal as possible.
We were married for 14 years and 7 days having celebrated our 14th wedding anniversary just a week before her passing. I will sorely miss her. Despite my sadness, I am happy that she is not just in a better place, she is in the perfect place, with her Lord and Savior.

4. R.I.P. member Lee Taylor

Executive member Al Steed Jr has told me the sad news that member and activist Lee Taylor passed away on 6/22/21 at the Veterans Administration Medical Center in Salem.
Please keep his family in your prayers and your thoughts.

5. Gun controllers: if the facts don’t say what you want, just redefine the words and terms
Member Mark J. sent me this:
ABC is running a week-long series on "gun violence" thatincludes defensive use of firearms against violent criminals asgun violence. Furthermore, they redefine the long-accepted FBI measure of mass shootings so they can falsely inflate the numbers by nearly 300%.
Who do they think they are? Former VA Gov. “it’s easier to buy a gun than to vote” Terry McAuliffe?
ABC News Uses Data from Group Counting Self-Defense as Gun Violence

6. Babylon Bee: Top 10 reasons you should turn your guns over to the government TODAY

You have to love the Babylon Bee. Time for some humor:
Top 10 Reasons You Should Just Turn Your Guns Over To The Government TODAY

7. Everything is “racist,” now including the Second Amendment. (Nice try, no cigar)

Here’s the latest attempt to reverse good and bad. Gun-control was put in place to keep minorities, especially emancipated blacks, unarmed so they could not protect themselves from violent attacks. That is the racist roots of gun control. But now, and no surprises here, suddenly the right to keep and bear arms is what’s racist!
No, there is no level that gun controllers won’t sink to in their quest to take away our freedom. No lie too big or vicious. The ends, for them, will always justify the means.
Second Amendment latest issue to be reframed — wrongly — as 'racist'

ABC legal analyst Sunny Hostin said Friday on ABC's "The View" that she believed that the Second Amendment "was designed to protect slavery" by empowering local militia groups to "put down slave revolts." <eye roll>

ABC's Hostin: Second Amendment 'Was Designed to Protect Slavery'

The ACLU’s synapses are no longer in working order, either. They have drunk the Kool-Aid and have jumped on the bandwagon. Gun-rights activist Colion Noir is having none of it and rips them a new one:
Colion Noir blasts ACLU for declaring the Second Amendment 'racist': 'Disgusting' to use racism

8. Dr. John Lott: Biden ignores the fact that 92% of violent crime does NOT involve a gun!

John Lott has some important information in this article on how infrequently guns are used in violent crimes. (You might ask if the vast majority of violent crimes do not involve guns, why is the government focused on guns in order to reduce violent crime? Why, to disarm all of us “for our own good”, silly!)
https://crimeresearch.org/2021/07/a...in-only-a-small-percentage-of-violent-crimes/

9. YET ANOTHER of Michael Bloomberg’s gun-control leaders has been charged with a crime

Yet another member of Michael Bloomberg’s coalition of gun-hating mayors might be headed to jail.
On a weapons charge, of course. <eye roll>
Shannon Watts, Lovely Warren, & The Crooked Business of Gun Control

10. “No guns” signs at Virginia rest stops

Virginia rest stops are now posted “No guns,” since they are owned by the Commonwealth. What an unwelcoming, despicable message that is to gun owners from around the U.S. coming to Virginia.
That law is part of the treachery brought to us by the leadership of the Democrat Party in 2020 and 2021.
There is a happy side: the person behind this atrocity in the House of Delegates, Mark Levine, lost his run for Lt. Governor AND lost his House seat in the Democrat primary earlier this year!
Senator Adam Ebbin was the patron of the Senate version and he is up for re-election in 2023. It would be great to see him on his way out, too.
This year is an election year and the ENTIRE HOUSE OF DELEGATES, the Governor, the Lt. Governor, and Attorney General positions are ALL UP FOR GRABS on November 2.
If you are as sick of this crap as I am, VOTE ON NOVEMBER 2. Get your family and friends registered and then make sure they VOTE.
This is an off-year election, so turnout is usually low. If Virginia’s gun owners will just turn out and vote, this ship WILL turn around. We have the power – there are 2.5 million of us, including 700,000 CHP holders, alone! The numbers are on our side IF we will ALL just get to the polls in November. No more excuses.
Understand this: the gun gabbers want you to feel like elections are meaningless, so you are discouraged from voting. Do NOT let them trick you and do not let them win. They have nightmares about a big gun-owner turnout. Let’s make their worst nightmare a reality!

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #686 ·
Another City/County trying to get in on the limiting. DO NOT LET IT HAPPEN IN GA!.

Nemo

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL)

VA-ALERT
Leesburg Town Council is going to be discussing local gun-control in a working session on Monday, August 9, at 7 pm.
At this point, it is only a discussion about whether they should go to the next step of drafting a proposed ordinance, and, at a future meeting, get public input and vote on passing the proposed ordinance.
Here is the agenda for Monday. See item 3d on the first page.
Media coverage: https://loudounnow.com/2021/08/05/leesburg-council-will-consider-gun-prohibition-in-govt-buildings/

ACTION ITEM
Let’s nip this in the bud. Let’s email Town Council now and, if you can, show up at the Council meeting on Monday night.
Here is the email address that reaches all of Town Council at one time: [email protected]
Suggested subject (will be filled in for you if you click the email link, above): OPPOSE any local gun control!

Talking points:
  • This is a solution in search of a problem. Leesburg has not had any incidents that justify this infringement on the rights of the citizens of the Town
  • Alexandria’s shooting went up 40% beginning the month their ordinance took effect and has stayed up. This ordinance will only embolden those bent on harming others
  • Only 12 localities out of 194 (six percent) have passed this kind of local gun-control, putting the Town out of step with the vast majority of the state
  • Parks have remote areas that police simply cannot cover or secure
  • The Virginia Citizens Defense League currently has a lawsuit against Winchester over their ordinance. The NRA has a lawsuit against Fairfax County, similarly
  • Gun-free zones are dangerous, as Virginia Beach found out when they had a massacre in one of their government buildings a couple of years ago
  • Vote “no” on moving forward with a proposed ordinance

For those wishing to attend the meeting, look for someone handing out Gun Save Lives stickers. Here is the location:
Town Hall
25 West Market Street
Leesburg, VA 20176
NOTE: face masks are now required again in Town Hall, regardless of vaccination status.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #687 ·
Winning battle so far. In Leesburg anyway. By all indications.

Nemo

VA-ALERT
1. Leesburg Town Council gun-control update
2. Albemarle County Board of Supervisors gun-control update

1. Leesburg Town Council gun-control update

Leesburg Town Council met on Monday night and discussed whether the Town should go forward with a local gun-control ordinance.
Council decided to get more information for a future work session on the impact of going forward with such an ordinance, including cost, logistics, possible exempted persons, etc.

ANALYSIS
Townhall was the only hot button for the Mayor, Kelly Burk.
The Vice-Mayor “Marty” Martinez was interested in getting more information on banning guns in all Town buildings, recreation centers, and parks. He made no mention of events.
Councilman Neil Steinburg was interested in banning guns at all Town buildings, even though two of those buildings weren’t even open to the public. He said he had no interest in banning guns in parks or at events.
Councilman Zach Cummings was interested in banning guns and having metal detectors and guards at townhall only.
Councilman Ara Bagdasarian was not present, so there is no indication of his position.
Two councilwomen were strongly opposed to any gun control: Suzanne Fox and Kari Nacy.
Ms. Fox said that she didn’t want to violate constitutional rights and the Town had no compelling reason to implement any gun control.
Ms. Nacy said she would likely not support any gun control. She said she has a CHP and gun control would negatively affect her as a responsibly armed citizen, who carries to prevent an attack like one she suffered at some point in the past. Ms. Nacy provides a great example of why I wish more elected officials had CHPs. Once you have skin in the game, you look beyond the lies of gun control and see the value of not infringing the right to keep and bear arms.

READING THE TEA LEAVES
Council, as a whole, did not have any interest in prohibiting guns at any location except the townhall.
Four members were interested in banning guns in townhall. Of those, two were also interested in banning guns in other buildings, but they were outvoted on that. One was interested in banning guns in parks and recreation centers, but he was outvoted, too.
So, the battle is going to come down to banning or not banning guns in townhall.
Once the information on cost, exemptions, etc. is presented to Town Council at a future meeting, they will decide whether to put together a proposed ordinance and what that ordinance will look like.
If they walk away from doing an ordinance, we are done. If they move forward, we will send in our comments and we will hopefully have a good turnout when the item comes up for public discussion and a vote.
We must not cede an inch.

2. Albemarle County Board of Supervisors gun-control update

Albemarle County Board of Supervisors met last Wednesday. Nothing was said about guns. The next meeting is on the 18th and it’s very possible a draft of a proposed gun-control ordinance may come up before the Board.
If firearms are on the agenda for the 18th, I’ll let everyone know as soon as I find out and I will provide an analysis of the updated proposed ordinance. We will then do another round of commenting to the Board of Supervisors on the proposed ordinance.
We must not cede an inch.
(804) 639-0600
Website

Reactions: Savannah Dan

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #688 · (Edited)
Note Item 1. Click if interested.

Note item 7 regarding Rare Breed Triggers and resistance.

Note view in browser if thats preferable also.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. VCDL is on a new email system for VA-ALERTs
2. ACTION ITEM: Albemarle County setting up to pass local gun-control on Wednesday. Rally planned in opposition!
3. ACTION ITEM: Virginia Beach School Board preparing to ban guns on their property
4. HELP NEEDED: Richmond Gun Show on August 28 and 29
5. VCDL President to speak at Defending Freedom Action Summit in Richmond in September
6. VCDL President to speak at the Freedom Rally in Rocky Mount, VA on September 25
7. BREAKING: Rare Breed Trigger is considered a “machine gun” by BATFE. Rare Breed fighting back
8. VCDL President interview on Freedom and Prosperity Radio
9. Humor: Babylon Bee Guide to Choosing a Gun That’s Right for You
10. VCDL virtual membership meeting on Thursday, August 19!

1. VCDL is on a new email system for VA-ALERTs

VCDL had been on a new email system for about a year. The system had its share of problems and we concluded that many subscribers had NOT been getting regular VA-ALERTs and some had not received any for a long time. We tried to get the system fixed, but it just didn’t seem to be able to handle our 57,000 subscribers.
This is a new system and hopefully we are now reaching everyone again. If this is the first alert you have seen in a while, welcome back! You can see previous alerts on the vcdl.org website by scrolling down a little and looking at “News”. All the alerts can be found there.

2. ACTION ITEM: Albemarle County setting up to pass local gun-control on Wednesday. Rally planned in opposition!

Well, no real surprises from Albemarle County Board of Supervisors (BoS) on their proposed gun ban. While they had talked about, and seemed to have support for, a CHP exemption, even that concession is not in the new draft. All that was changed from the original draft was to allow those legally possessing firearms to leave them stowed in a locked vehicle while on County property.

ACTION ITEM:
Steve Harvey is organizing another protest against the Albemarle County BoS infringement of our 2nd Amendment Rights. The protest is going to be on Wednesday, August 18th at 5PM at the County Office Building (401 McIntire Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22902), immediately before the Board of Supervisors meets. I’ll see you there!
From Steve Harvey:
That's right, same time, same place as last month. Stick with what works. We stopped them last month, let's do it again. As always, this may be our last chance.
Here is the slightly modified version of Ord 21-10. The proposed changes regarding concealed carry permit holders was not adopted. However, an exemption was added for judges, regardless of the fact that some judges may not have training with firearms. These ordinances have nothing to do with safety. This kind of politically motivated elitist preening has no place in local government.
We generated enough of a spectacle last month that the BoS refused to embarrass themselves further by voting on their unconstitutional proposal. We MUST redouble our efforts and show them this is not a game of cat and mouse. These rights are inalienable. Our forefathers did not sacrifice so that we could sit on the couch while our rights are frittered away before our eyes... Join me Wednesday.
If you're unable to join the protest please consider making your voice heard on the 6 PM Zoom Call. Here is a link to participation guidelines.
Carry is allowed at the protest.

3. ACTION ITEM: Virginia Beach School Board preparing to ban guns on their property

The Virginia Beach School Board is looking to ban guns in School Board buildings, something they have zero need to do. We are not talking a school building, just an office with office workers present.

ACTION ITEM
We can cede no ground to gun control. Gun owners need to show up in numbers to say, “no” to the idea.
Carry is currently allowed in the building. The meeting starts at 6 pm on Tuesday, August 24 at:
2512 George Mason Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456

NOTE: Watch for future alerts on this as the date draws near. The School Board notoriously changes meeting dates on short notice.
The vote on the proposed policy-change will be on September 14.

4. HELP NEEDED: Richmond Gun Show on August 28 and 29

The next gun show is scheduled for August 28 & 29 at the Richmond Raceway at 600 E. Laburnum Ave., Richmond, VA 23222. This show will have 800 tables, no occupancy limits and no time slots, so this promises to be a very busy show indeed!
We are looking for volunteers for all shifts, both days. Also, we could use a couple of volunteers Friday afternoon to help with set up.
The available shifts are:
Friday, August 27 - 4:00pm – 6:00pm
Saturday, August 28 - 9:00am – 1:00pm
Saturday, August 28 - 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Sunday, August 29 - 10:00am – 1:30pm
Sunday, August 29 - 1:30pm – 5:00pm

We have many new members who want to know how they can support VCDL. Volunteering for a few hours at a gun show is a great way for both new and established members to get involved and support VCDL.
Helping at a gun show is fun and requires no previous experience. First-timers are needed and very welcome.
Gun show volunteers are admitted free. Parking is, of course, free. Many of the exhibitor/vendors offer discounts to our volunteers. If you are a first-timer, don't worry, we'll have experienced member-volunteers on every shift to help you.
Mark your calendars. It's time to step-up and get involved!
Contact either of the VCDL Richmond Gun Show Coordinators, John Gosney or Dave Eckart at: [email protected].

5. VCDL President to speak at Defending Freedom Action Summit in Richmond in September

I am speaking at the Defending Freedom Action Summit, which is on September 25 and 26 at the beautiful Delta Marriott in downtown Richmond. I will be speaking on Sunday, the 26th.
This two-day jam-packed CPAC-level production will feature Second Amendment champions like world champion shooter Dania Vizzi (Team USA), Holly Sullivan (President of the Connecticut Citizens Defense League), Dr. Robert Young, and DC Project leaders Cheryl Todd and Lauren Hartnett.
Additionally, this conference will feature former United States Secretary Ryan Zinke, Congressman Madison Cawthorn, and other freedom leaders.
For being a VCDL member, the conference organizer - Second Amendment Institute - is offering you $20 off your general admission ticket with code: “VCDL” at checkout.
Tickets are going fast so get yours today!

6. VCDL President to speak at the Freedom Rally in Rocky Mount, VA on September 25

I am scheduled to speak at the Restore the Republic’s Freedom Rally on Saturday, September 25, at:
1380 Franklin St.
Rocky Mount, VA

The event runs from 10 am to 4 pm.
Other speakers include: Robert Sylvestri (1776 Project Founder), Sheriff Richard Mack (Constitutional Sheriffs and Peace Officers Association Founder), Attorney Michael Anthony Peroutka (Institute on the Constitution Founder), and Pastor David Whitney (Constitutional Expert). Congressman Bob Good will be there, as well as some local School Board members.
“Non-Partisan Peaceful Assembly. Bring Your Flags. Bring Your Patriotism. Bring Your Voice.”

7. BREAKING: Rare Breed Trigger is considered a “machine gun” by BATFE. Rare Breed fighting back

Rare Breed Triggers has been marketing their “Forced-Reset Trigger” (FRT) that allows a person to fire an AR-15 very quickly, but with the trigger finger firing one shot per pull of the trigger.
BATFE sent a letter to Rare Breed saying they consider the trigger to be a machine gun.
Rare Breed, which is owned by a lawyer, has fired back with a lawsuit against the BATFE and the Department of Justice. The issue is supposed to be in court on the 18th for the purpose of Rare Breed getting an injunction against the BATFE.
Time to get out the popcorn.
Some videos on the situation:
What is up with the Rare Breed FRT-15 Trigger? Is it a machine gun?

It’s a Machine Gun, I have The Proof

8. VCDL President interview on Freedom and Prosperity Radio

081121 @107wchv @VCDL_ORG Prez Philip Van Cleave on #ARP vs guns - WCHV's Joe Thomas in-the-morning - Omny.fm

9. Humor: Babylon Bee Guide to Choosing a Gun That’s Right for You

The Babylon Bee Guide To Choosing A Gun That's Right For You

10. VCDL virtual membership meeting on Thursday, August 19!

VCDL is having its monthly virtual membership-meeting on Thursday, August 19, at 8 pm. To watch it live, go to the VCDL YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfjb__SDLZWOnZd4zlLX-xg

You can ask questions in the chat box during the meeting. The meeting video will be posted on our YouTube channel for those who want to watch it later or listen to it while in the car.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #689 ·
Update. Note numbers 5, 7, and 8.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. Action Item Reminder: Albemarle County protest and vote tomorrow, Wednesday, August 18
2. Alexandria putting up “No guns” signs way in advance of events and keeping them up after the events are over
3. Help Still Needed: Richmond Gun Show on August 28-29
4. Roanoke Gun show for August 21 and 22 is POSTPONED
5. Virginia Democrats handing 5 million dollars to Attorney General and gun-control groups for “gun violence” prevention. Elections are November 2
6. NRA skips Youngkin endorsement, backs Sears and Miyares
7. Gun-controlling Democrats envious of the Taliban?
8. Thought for the day

1. Action Item Reminder: Albemarle County protest and vote tomorrow, Wednesday, August 18

Let’s drop some comments opposing the proposed local gun-control ordinance in Albemarle County here:
Albemarle County

Scroll down to item 17.21-416 and click the “Comments” item by it to leave your comment. You need to create a log in, but that is easy to do.
Reminder:
Well, no real surprises from Albemarle County Board of Supervisors (BoS) on their proposed gun ban. While they had talked about, and seemed to have support for, a CHP exemption, even that concession is not in the new draft. All that was changed from the original draft was to allow those legally possessing firearms to leave them stowed in a locked vehicle while on County property.

ACTION ITEM:
Steve Harvey is organizing another protest against the Albemarle County BoS infringement of our 2nd Amendment Rights. The protest is going to be on Wednesday, August 18th at 5PM at the County Office Building (401 McIntire Rd, Charlottesville, VA 22902), immediately before the Board of Supervisors meets. I’ll see you there!
From Steve Harvey:
That's right, same time, same place as last month. Stick with what works. We stopped them last month, let's do it again. As always, this may be our last chance.
Here is the slightly modified version of Ord 21-10. The proposed changes regarding concealed carry permit holders was not adopted. However, an exemption was added for judges, regardless of the fact that some judges may not have training with firearms. These ordinances have nothing to do with safety. This kind of politically motivated elitist preening has no place in local government.
We generated enough of a spectacle last month that the BoS refused to embarrass themselves further by voting on their unconstitutional proposal. We MUST redouble our efforts and show them this is not a game of cat and mouse. These rights are inalienable. Our forefathers did not sacrifice so that we could sit on the couch while our rights are frittered away before our eyes... Join me Wednesday.

If you're unable to join the protest please consider making your voice heard on the 6 PM Zoom Call. Here is a link to participation guidelines.
Carry is allowed at the protest.

2. Alexandria putting up “No guns” signs way in advance of events and keeping them up after the events are over

Several members contacted VCDL to say that Alexandria had put up “No guns” signs days before an event and the signs were will up a day after the event was over.
I learned about this on Thursday night and called the Alexandria PD to see if they were involved in posting those signs. I reached Lt. P. Alvarez, who was polite and helpful. He assured me it was not his department posting the signs. He sent me a text a short while later and said it was the Transportation and Environmental Services (TES) who put up those signs.
I left a message for a call back from TES on Friday, but I didn’t hear back from them before the weekend.
On Monday I called the City Manager’s office and they arranged for a call back from TES. The lady who called me said she would get the signs taken down. I explained to her that if those signs are up days before and/or after an event, they are going to get someone falsely arrested. Those signs, I said, should only be put up immediately before an event starts and taken down immediately after the event is over.
Those of you in Alexandria, keep an eye out for this happening in the future and let me know if those signs are up early or taken down late. My email is [email protected].

3. Help Still Needed: Richmond Gun Show on August 28-29

The next gun show is scheduled for August 28 & 29 at the Richmond Raceway at 600 E. Laburnum Ave, Richmond VA 23222. This show will have 800 tables, no occupancy limits and no time slots so this promises to be a very busy show indeed!
We are looking for volunteers for the following shifts.
Saturday, August 28 1p – 5p
Sunday, August 29 10a – 1:30p
Sunday, August 29 1:30p – 5p

We have many new members who want to know how they can support VCDL. Volunteering for a few hours at a gun show is a great way for both new and established members to get involved and support VCDL.
Helping at a gun show is fun and requires no previous experience. First-timers are needed and very welcome.
Gun show volunteers are admitted free. Parking is free. M any of the exhibitor/vendors offer discounts to our volunteers. If you are a first-timer, don't worry, we'll have experienced member-volunteers on every shift to help you.
Mark your calendars. It's time to step-up and get involved!
Contact the VCDL Richmond Gun Show Coordinators, John Gosney and Dave Eckart at: [email protected].

4. Roanoke Gun show for August 21 and 22 is POSTPONED

Showmasters has postponed the gun show scheduled for this weekend in Roanoke. No word on the new date yet.

5. Virginia Democrats handing 5 million dollars to Attorney General and gun-control groups for “gun violence” prevention. Elections are November 2

The Democrats budgeted $2.5 million to be given to the Attorney General to spend on “gun violence” prevention. Apparently stabbing, bludgeoning, and other forms of violent crime are OK, but the gun-hating Democrat leadership wants to go after the 8% of violent crime that is committed with a firearm. <eye roll>
Not to stop there, the Democrats allocated another $2.5 million to go to various organizations dealing with “gun violence.” One of those organizations ungratefully said that they really needed $32 million to be successful, but the $2.5 million was a good start!
I’m sick of this. Elections are on November 2. Let’s turn this ship around.

6. NRA skips Youngkin endorsement, backs Sears and Miyares

Two articles on the NRA skipping an endorsement of Glenn Youngkin for Virginia governor are below.
Youngkin may have a similar problem with the VCDL-PAC. The NRA and the VCDL-PAC both require a survey to be returned to them before they will endorse any candidate.
Believe me, VCDL and the VCDL-PAC are more than aware of Democrat gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe’s horrible position on guns.
McAuliffe isn’t afraid to say publicly how he will infringe on our right to keep and bear arms. It would be really refreshing if Youngkin would spell out publicly what he would do to protect and restore our gun rights. Especially when the importance of gun rights is reaching new highs with women and minorities.
By refusing to do surveys, Youngkin is asking voters to trust him and to vote for him because he’s “better than the other guy.”
The problem with that is what I call the “enthusiasm factor.” Youngkin may well get votes from all the people who don’t want a third term for Terry McAuliffe (Northam was basically McAuliffe’s second term). But it’s one thing to vote for Candidate A just because he is better than Candidate B and a whole other thing if Candidate A has got you excited to vote for him because he stands bravely by values that you believe in, too. Such excitement is contagious and spreads quickly.
It is an off-year election in Virginia, but it is still a major one with huge implications. Gun owners need to vote or face four more years of having our rights being stripped from us. But fewer gun owners will get out to vote on November 2 without that enthusiasm factor. Gun owners have been burned too many times by weak-kneed politicians. The ball is in Youngkin’s court.
Finally, to be fair, none of the three candidates running for Governor have answered the VCDL 2021 Statewide Candidate Survey. https://cdn.ymaws.com/vcdl.org/resource/resmgr/pdf/statewide-survey-2021.pdf
Please contact all three candidates and politely, but firmly, urge them to complete the VCDL 2021 Statewide Candidate Survey:

Candidate Party Email
-------------------- ---------- -----------------------------
Terry McAuliffe Democrat [email protected]
Glenn Youngkin Republican [email protected]
Princess L. Blanding Liberation [email protected]
Articles:
https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_bbfb0c1a-8d87-5612-bac4-57bfc9f71980.html

NRA endorses Republican statewide candidates, but not Youngkin in Virginia governor’s race

7. Gun-controlling Democrats envious of the Taliban?

This is has got to be frustrating for gun grabbers. For many, many years they have been trying to disarm American gun-owners with the promise that government would take care of their personal safety. Meanwhile, the Taliban is working on disarming Afghanistan in mere days!
“Taliban fighters in the Afghan capital, Kabul, started collecting weapons from civilians on Monday because ‘people no longer need them for personal protection’, a Taliban official told Reuters.
"’We understand people kept weapons for personal safety. They can now feel safe. We are not here to harm innocent civilians,’ the official told Reuters.”
Of course, reports out of Afghanistan are telling horror stories about the Taliban harming civilians. No surprises there.
When the government says you don’t need guns, YOU NEED GUNS!
Taliban "Collect" Weapons From Civilians In Kabul As They "No Longer Need Personal Protection" | ZeroHedge

8. Thought for the day

From a meme sent to me by Linda Meyer:
“I think firearms dealers should sell guns by mail without checking photo ID or verifying signatures.
You know, just like mail-in voting.”

(804) 639-0600
Website

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #691 ·
Have not had time to try to wade through his budget and lists.

Nemo

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #692 ·
Note item 1, training required for permit but judges exempt from that requirement. Somewhat strange?

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. Wrap up on Albemarle County’s local gun-control ordinance
2. New VCDL membership benefit: deep Aflac discounts!
3. Biden Administration prepares ban on Russian ammunition
4. Anti-gun Delegate Mike Mullin holding gun-control roundtable TONIGHT, 8/24
5. 20 Attorneys Generals Join Fight Against Biden’s Executive Gun-Control
6. TX: CHP holder diffuses potentially fatal confrontation with a man wielding a machete
7. Missed the last VCDL virtual membership meeting? You can watch the replay anytime
8. Virginia Beach School Board delayed discussion on banning guns
9. Sneakily disarming our nation – VCDL President interview on Freedom & Prosperity Radio

1. Wrap up on Albemarle County’s local gun-control ordinance

Last week the Albemarle County Board of Supervisors passed local gun-control, ignoring the concerns of the gun owners they have now disarmed. The comments the Board received opposing gun control outstripped those supporting it.
The best the Board could do for gun owners was virtue signaling. Many on the Board acknowledged CHP holders should be exempted, but none of them raised a finger to do so and a few made excuses as to why CHP holders should not be exempted.
One excuse was saying that concealed handgun permit holders don’t have the same training police get. But then the Board of Supervisors turned right around and exempted judges, WHO HAVE NO TRAINING REQUIREMENTS! It’s not about public safety, it’s about politics. VCDL is fine with judges carrying. Their lives are no less valuable than ours, but they are also no more valuable. Judges and citizens should both be allowed to carry everywhere we go.
In one particularly inane discussion, a Board member said that CHP holders should be allowed to carry in parks, but if CHP holders can’t carry in government buildings, too, then it would be inconsistent and confusing. First, if the Board wanted consistent gun laws, then they would have done nothing and stayed consistent with the other 94% of the state. Second, they could have exempted CHP holders, taking away any possible “confusion.” But it was just more baloney to justify infringing on gun owners.
Some of the women on the Board said they have CHPs. Gee, does anybody think those women will be going through metal detectors whenever they enter County buildings?
The final ordinance bans guns in Albemarle County government buildings, parks, and community and recreation centers IF THOSE AREAS ARE POSTED WITH SIGNS SO STATING. It does not ban guns at permitted events. Gun owners can store their loaded guns in their vehicle while on County property.
There are candidates running against some of the Board members in November. Time to get a Board in place that protects and honors the rights of those living in, or visiting, the County.

2. New VCDL membership benefit: deep Aflac discounts!

Aflac is supplemental coverage that pays you cash when you’re sick or injured. This can be used to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses, personal bills or offset loss of income. Anything you need it for! Aflac works with any coverage you already have, even if you have nothing.
VCDL Member Sarah Max has worked hard to bring our members a deep discounton many Aflac policies.
Note: You need to log into the member area on our website to sign up. Go to Membership->Aflac Member Benefits. If you are getting these VA-ALERTs, that does NOT necessarily mean you are a member, as alerts go to anyone who subscribes to VA-ALERT. Members pay dues, have membership cards, and can log into the members only areas of the VCDL website.
Policies are by state, so we've posted Virginia and North Carolina for starters. If you live in another state and want to take advantage of this excellent opportunity, please contact Sarah by following the Virginia link and letting her know what state you are in.
The rate sheet for Virginia residents is at the bottom of the page. Rates may vary for residents of other states, but discounts will still be applied.
Video invitation:

3. Biden Administration prepares ban on Russian ammunition

The Biden Administration is using the anniversary of the poisoning of a Russian politician as an excuse to ban Russian-made ammunition. Funny thing about the timing – just as prices were starting to come down and stabilize, suddenly a major source of ammunition is being cut off. What an amazing coincidence. <eye roll>
Contracts in place before this new policy takes affect early next month will be allowed to be filled, so this won’t start squeezing ammunition imports immediately. But after a year or two, no more ammo will be coming in from Russia. A new President can fix that. This is not a law, but another Executive Order.
Of course, a lawsuit might fix the issue, too.
More info:
U.S. Department Of State Releases Announcements Concerning The Future Importation Of Russian Firearms and Ammunition

Here is a video by John Crump discussing the ban:

4. Anti-gun Delegate Mike Mullin holding gun-control roundtable TONIGHT, 8/24

Delegate Mullin is having a virtual town hall on gun-control TONIGHT. Moms Demand Action is on the panel.
If you live in Mullin’s district, join the discussion. Ask him to explain why crime in Virginia has increased after Democrats passed all that gun control this year and last year.
Ask him how restricting the rights of good people will make bad people stop doing bad things.
Ask him how a good person being disarmed and made helpless makes that person safer.
Ask him why uniform gun-laws are a bad thing.
Citizens had been legally carrying in the Capitol and the General Assembly Building without any incidents. Why strip citizens of their right to protect themselves all of a sudden?
Here is a link to sign up:
Community Conversation with Delegate Mike Mullin: Gun Sense Legislation · Mike Mullin for Virginia

5. 20 Attorneys Generals Join Fight Against Biden’s Executive Gun-Control

Our Attorney General is not on this list to protect our rights. That is why we need an Attorney General who will do the job and follow the oath to defend and protect the Constitution.
20 Attorneys General Join Fight Against Biden's Executive Gun Control

6. TX: CHP holder diffuses potentially fatal confrontation with a man wielding a machete

A CHP holder saves the day without having to fire a shot (which is usually the case):
Texas concealed carry permit holder diffuses possible machete attack after fatal car accident

7. Missed the last VCDL virtual membership meeting? You can watch the replay anytime

Did you miss the online VCDL general membership meeting on 8/19/21?
Here is the link to the replay of the meeting:
Besides discussing current issues facing gun owners, we had a special guest, Dexter Guptill, from the Pink Pistols. VCDL-PAC chair, Cathy McNickel joined us to talk about the upcoming PAC fundraiser event next month https://vcdl.org/events/EventDetails.aspx?id=1545774 and the importance of everyone getting out the vote. Finally, we touched on a new member benefit for paid VCDL members, discounts in the Aflac program: https://vcdl.org/page/Aflac

Set your calendar to participate in future online meetings, which are on the third Thursday of every month at 8 PM on our VCDL YouTube channel.

Follow us on social media at LinkTree.com/VCDL

8. Virginia Beach School Board delayed discussion on banning guns

The Virginia Beach School Board meeting that was supposed to be discussing gun-control in School Board buildings did not do so. They have deferred that discussion for a future meeting.
Members familiar with the School Board said this is a common tactic to throw off opponents of things the Board wants to do. The item pops up at a later date when no one is watching.
We will be keeping an eye on the School Board and will advise when this issue comes up again. It may be short notice.
We will cede no ground. They will have to fight for every inch.

9. Sneakily disarming our nation – VCDL President interview on Freedom & Prosperity Radio

Sneakily Disarming Our Nation

(804) 639-0600
Website
: www.v

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #693 ·
Getting some good things (a few) happening. And fighting some bad.

Note item 3. We are working on getting that done. Its do-able upon individual petition but time consuming and frequently limited.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. VCDL president to speak at Defending Freedom Action Summit being held in Richmond on September 25 and 26
2. Change of venue: VCDL president speaking at Freedom Rally on Sept. 25 in Boones Mill
3. News story on restoration of rights in Virginia, including gun rights [VIDEO]
4. News coverage of gun-control protest/rally in Albemarle County back on August 18
5. LTE in Winchester Star: Open Forum: Biden's 'hypocrisy' surrounding gun control illustrated in Afghanistan
6. Article: The Second Amendment Is About Rifles Not Racism

1. VCDL president to speak at Defending Freedom Action Summit being held in Richmond on September 25 and 26

The NRA may have cancelled their annual meeting this past Tuesday, but the Defending Freedom Action Summit (DFAS) in Richmond is still on the calendar!
I will be speaking on Sunday. Other speakers during this two-day event include Winsome Sears, former U.S. Secretary Ryan Zinke, team USA world champion shooter Dania Vizzi, Cheryl Todd, and many more in this two-day freedom event. There will be an exhibitor hall, as well.
Use code VCDL for $20 off your general admission ticket.
The DFAS conference will take place at the Delta Marriott in downtown Richmond on September 25 and 26.
For more information and to register:

Defending Freedom Action Summit

2. Change of venue: VCDL president speaking at Freedom Rally on Sept. 25 in Boones Mill

The Restore the Republic Freedom Rally I will be speaking at on Saturday, September 25, is now at:
150 Boon Bernard Dr.
Boones Mill, VA
Time: 10 am to 4 pm.

From the event flyer:
Hear from prominent speakers on current topics that will give great insight on what needs to be done to preserve our Republic.
Speakers
1776 Project founder Mr. Robert Sylvestri
Constitutional Sheriff & Peace Officers Association Founder, Sheriff Richard Mack
Institute on the Constitution Founder, Michael Anthony Peroutka, Atty
Institute on the Constitution and Constitutional expert, Pastor David Whitney
Virginia Citizens Defense League president, Philip Van Cleave

Congressman Bob Good will be there, as well as some local school board candidates.
Bring a lawn chair. There will be onsite food vendors.

3. News story on restoration of rights in Virginia, including gun rights [VIDEO]

Portsmouth woman helps formally incarcerated restore rights

4. News coverage of gun-control protest/rally in Albemarle County back on August 18
Albemarle County Supervisors unanimously pass ban on guns in specific public places

5. LTE in Winchester Star: Open Forum: Biden's 'hypocrisy' surrounding gun control illustrated in Afghanistan
https://www.winchesterstar.com/winc...cle_6d8eedd8-4af2-51ca-95e8-427076b0923c.html

6. Article: The Second Amendment Is About Rifles Not Racism
The Second Amendment Is About Rifles Not Racism

(804) 639-0600
Website

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #695 ·
Article noted regarding VCDL and its activities, along with Bedford militia was posted and discussed around here.

The initial article has resulted in litigation initiated by VCDL. Caption and intro info posted elsewhere around here but this is the full motion.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

Back on June 9, a VA-ALERT item talked about how the Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (CSGV) libeled VCDL and its members by saying VCDL is a “Domestic Terror Organization” in a press release. That press release was published in the media, spreading that defamation.
From the CSGV press release:
“Virginia cannot afford to elect Glenn Youngkin and his outdated and harmful stance on gun violence. His willingness to say anything for a vote is deeply troubling, as we’ve already seen him cozying up to those with deep ties to those at the forefront of the insurrectionist movement, like Senator Amanda Chase and the domestic terror organization, the Virginia Citizens Defense League.”
Here is the FBI’s definition of a “domestic terror organization:”
“Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.” (Terrorism | Federal Bureau of Investigation)
VCDL has never even been accused of being involved with or committing any kind of violence, much less a violent criminal act.
VCDL is suing CSGV for libel and Mr. Joel Kanter, the Chairman of the Board of CSGV, has been served the papers. We await CSGV’s initial response, which is due by September 18. Once we have the response, we will update you again.

Here is a copy of VCDL’s complaint:
V I R G I N I A :
IN THE CIRCUIT COURT OF FAIRFAX COUNTY
(Civil Division)

VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE,
Plaintiff,
v.
Case No. CL-2021-_
THE COALITION TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE,
Defendant.
Serve: Joel Kanter, Registered Agent
925 H Street, N.W., #1106
Washington, D.C. 20001

COMPLAINT

COMES NOW Plaintiff, VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE (“VCDL”), by Counsel, pursuant to VA. R. Sup. Ct. 3:3 and moves this Honorable Court for judgment against Defendant, THE COALITION TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE (“CSGV”), based upon causes of action of defamation per se and per quod. In support thereof, Plaintiff sets forth the following:
  1. SUBJECT MATTER AND IN PERSONAM JURISDICTION AND VENUE
  2. This Court may exercise subject matter jurisdiction over this action pursuant to Va. Code Ann. § 17.1-513.
  3. CSGV is a District of Columbia 501(c)(4) charitable organization which published a press release specifically directed at Virginia residents in an effort to influence their vote in Virginia’s upcoming gubernatorial election, scheduled to be held on 11/2/21.
  4. CSGV’s press release at issue was “published” in the Commonwealth of Virginia—along with every other geographic location in which someone read the press release—as that term of art is construed in the context of a defamation lawsuit governed by Virginia law.
  5. CSGV intended its press release to be published in the Commonwealth of Virginia and succeeded in doing so since it is beyond doubt that at least one person in Virginia read that press release.
  6. Because publication—the last act necessary to complete the intentional tort of defamation—occurred within the Commonwealth, under Virginia law, the tort was thereby committed in Virginia.
  7. As a consequence, CSGV is subject to this Court’s exercise of in personam jurisdiction over it, pursuant to Virginia’s long-arm statute, VA. CODE ANN. § 8.01-328.1(3).
  8. Alternatively, to the extent the Court finds that the tortious act(s) were committed in Washington, D.C., CSGV is subject to this Court’s exercise of in personam jurisdiction over it, pursuant to VA. CODE ANN. § 8.01-328.1(4), because it regularly does or solicits business, or engages in any other persistent course of conduct in this Commonwealth.
  9. Specifically, CSGV has issued press releases concerning various political races in the Commonwealth, including the upcoming 11/2/21 gubernatorial contest.
  10. CSGV’s press releases include, inter alia, the press release that is the subject of this Complaint, dated 6/8/21 and entitled, “Terry McAuliffe Elected as Democratic Gubernatorial Candidate,” as well as on 4/30/21, in a press release entitled, “Senator Amanda Chase is a Threat to the Safety of Virginians; Unfit to Lead.”
  11. CSGV transacts “any business” within the Commonwealth of Virginia, by publishing press releases that specifically target Virginia voters in an effort to sway their votes to the candidate(s) CSGV supports, and is therefore subject to the exercise of in personam jurisdiction over it, pursuant to VA. CODE ANN. § 8.01-328.1(1).
  12. In addition, CSGV may use computer(s) or computer network(s) located within the Commonwealth, and, upon further investigation, if necessary, may be subject to this Court’s exercise of in personam jurisdiction over it, pursuant to VA. CODE ANN. § 8.01-328.1(B).
  13. Venue is appropriately laid in Fairfax County, Virginia, pursuant to VA. CODE ANN. § 8.01-262(3) and (4).
    1. PARTIES
  14. The Coalition to Stop Gun Violence (“CSGV”) is a 501(c)(4) charitable organization registered under the laws of the District of Columbia, which also serves as its principal place of business, located at 805 15th Street, N.W., Suite 410; Washington, D.C. 20005.
  15. According to its website, csgv.org/about-us, CSGV, founded in 1974, “is the nation’s oldest gun violence prevention organization and the affiliate organization of the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence (“EFSGV”).
  16. CSGV, along with its sister organization, EFSGV, are two parts of a national, non-profit gun control advocacy organization opposed to gun violence. Comprised of 47 member organizations, CSGV supports reduction in American gun violence via education and legislation.[1]
  17. Virginia Citizens Defense League (“VCDL”) is a Virginia non-stock corporation, with its principal place of business located in Beaverdam, (Hanover County) Virginia.
  18. VCDL is a non-profit, non-partisan, grassroots organization, comprised of several thousand individual members, dedicated to advancing the fundamental human right of all Virginians to keep and bear arms as guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, Section 13 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
    STATEMENT OF FACTS
  19. On 6/8/21, CSGV issued a press release on its website, entitled, “McAuliffe’s Experience Addressing Gun Violence Will Be Invaluable in Building a Safer Virginia.” (attached hereto as Exhibit A).
  20. CSGV’s press release stated, in pertinent part, “Virginia cannot afford to elect Glenn Youngkin [as Virginia’s next governor]. . . as we’ve already seen him cozying up to those with deep ties to those at the forefront of the insurrectionist movement, like . . . the domestic terror organization, [VCDL].” (Ex. A).
  21. The statement quoted above is false.
  22. According to 18 U.S.C. § 2331(5), “Domestic terrorism” is limited to those activities that—
    1. involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;
    2. appear to be intended—
      1. to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
      2. to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
      3. to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
  23. VCDL has never advocated, engaged in, supported, funded, or in any other way participated in any activity that could reasonably be construed as “domestic terrorism.”
  24. Neither VCDL, nor any of its leadership, has ever been indicted, charged, arrested, or accused, by any public authority—whether federal, state, or local, of engaging in activities that could reasonably be construed as “domestic terrorism.”
  25. VCDL has never been accused of being involved in or committing any criminal act or act of violence.
  26. In fact, VCDL had the single largest gun right rally in the nation last year and not a single act of violence or any other criminality arose from it.
  27. VCDL received accolades for leaving Richmond cleaner than it was before its gun rally.
  28. VCDL has no knowledge or information suggesting, and therefore no belief that any of its members has ever been convicted, indicted, arrested, or accused, by any public authority—whether federal, state, or local, of engaging in activities that could reasonably be construed as “domestic terrorism.”
  29. VCDL would undoubtedly, and without reservation, condemn any act of domestic or international terrorism by any group or individual.
  30. Moreover, the statement at issue is false because VCDL does not and has never had “ties[—deep or otherwise]—to those at the forefront of the insurrectionist movement.”
  31. CSGV had no reasonable legal or factual bases upon which to accuse VCDL of engaging in, facilitating, supporting, funding, condoning, or in any other way engaging in acts that could reasonably be construed as “domestic terrorism.”
  32. Nor did CSGV have any basis upon which to claim that VCDL has “. . . ties to those at the forefront of the insurrectionist movement.”
  33. While CSGV and VCDL are clearly on opposite sides of the political spectrum regarding their respective views of a citizen’s right to bear arms, that right is protected and safeguarded by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution, as well as by Article I, § 13 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia.
  34. CSGV’s statement that VCDL is a domestic terror organization is defamatory because it tends to diminish the organization’s reputation as a lawful organization formed for the purpose of advocating for the protection of a recognized constitutional right.
  35. VCDL draws a substantial portion of its membership from U.S. military personnel—both active duty, reserve, and veterans, as well as from various federal and state law enforcement agencies.
  36. The members described above, as well as others, tend to gravitate toward jobs with the government that require high security clearances.
  37. CSGV’s statement that VCDL is a domestic terror organization is reasonably certain both to deter prospective members from joining and to influence current members to quit or not to renew their membership, so as not to be affiliated with a group labeled a domestic terror organization, and thereby risk the loss of their security clearances, their jobs, and their own individual reputations.
  38. As such, it is likely that CSGV’s statement has caused and will continue to cause pecuniary losses to VCDL in futuro.
  39. Alternatively, if the jury finds that damages have not been adequately established, it would be appropriate to award nominal damages.
  40. CSGV’s false and defamatory statement concerning VCDL was motivated and prompted by CSGV’s actual malice toward VCDL—that is, hatred, ill-will, grudge, desire for revenge—driven by CSGV’s antagonistic political position vis a vis the gun control issue, about which CSGV and VCDL so vehemently disagree.
  41. As demonstrated by CSGV’s issuance of a press release containing the defamatory statement, it intended that its defamatory statement of and concerning VCDL be published as far and wide as possible, to inflict maximum damage on VCDL’s and its members’ reputations.
    COUNT 1

DEFAMATION PER QUOD
  42. Plaintiff hereby incorporates, by reference, all of the foregoing paragraphs, as if fully set forth herein.
  43. CSGV published a false statement of and concerning VCDL through its 6/8/21 press release, which, CSGV intended to be read by third parties residing in Virginia.
  44. Upon information and belief, CSGV’s press release was presumably read by at least one third party in Virginia.
  45. CSGV’s false statements, that VCDL was a domestic terror organization, and maintained “deep ties to those at the forefront of the insurrectionist movement” portrayed VCDL in a false and detrimental light.
  46. At the time CSGV made the false and defamatory statement, it knew or should have known that its statement was false because advocating for the protection and safeguarding of constitutionally protected rights could not reasonably be characterized as domestic terror activity.
  47. At the time CSGV made the statement at issue, it knew or should have known that its false and defamatory press release would almost certainly harm VCDL’s standing and reputation in the community.
  48. CSGV’s defamatory statement of and concerning VCDL caused the latter impairment of reputation and loss of standing in the community.
  49. As a direct and proximate result of the statement published by CSGV, VCDL also likely sustained damage to its business in the form of loss of new membership and the resultant loss of revenues, as well as erosion of its then-current membership.
  50. VCDL has also likely suffered and will continue to suffer from a diminution of its donations from members and those who are sympathetic to VCDL’s cause.
  51. VCDL is entitled to compensatory damages in the amount of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000), or whatever amount the jury deem appropriate, for the past and future harm to its professional reputation, and for its past and future lost membership and its concomitant loss of revenues, suffered as a direct and proximate result of CSGVs intentionally tortious misconduct.
  52. Alternatively, even in the absence of adequate proof of economic losses, VCDL is entitled to an award of nominal damages, in recognition of the damage to reputation caused by CSGV’s false and defamatory press release.
  53. VCDL is also entitled to three hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($350,000), or whatever amount the jury deem appropriate, in exemplary or punitive damages for CSGV’s intentionally tortious misconduct consisting of its publication of a false and defamatory statement of and concerning VCDL, with reckless disregard for the truth or falsity of that statement.
  54. occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States;
E. AD DAMNUM CLAUSE
WHEREFORE, Plaintiff, VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE, by Counsel, respectfully moves this Honorable Court for the following relief: judgment against Defendant, THE COALITION TO STOP GUN VIOLENCE, in the amount of one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) in compensatory damages and three hundred and fifty thousand dollars ($350,000) in exemplary damages. In addition VCDL seeks awards of its court costs expended in addition to post-judgment interest at the statutory rate of 6.000% per annum; and VCDL demands a TRIAL BY JURY.
Respectfully submitted,
VIRGINIA CITIZENS DEFENSE LEAGUE

By Counsel

___
THE LEISER LAW FIRM
By: Phillip B. Leiser, Esq.
1750 Tysons Boulevard, Suite 1500
Tysons Corner, Virginia 22102
TEL: (703) 734-5000 x-701
FAX: (703) 734-6000
VASB # 41032
Counsel for Plaintiff, Virginians Citizens Defense League

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #697 ·
Your call on that. But I agree.

Remember, I get squawked at around here by a couple folks (we can leave it at that) for posting this thread and the goings on in Virginia.

But I do what must be done. Some are just hard to educate.

Nemo

Reactions: awanatech

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #698 ·
Another city working on local restrictions. You gents need to be watchful.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

The Herndon Town Council is discussing local gun-control during a work session TOMORROW NIGHT, September 7, 2021, at 7 pm. This issue has been working through the system since last year.
While Town Council will be getting public input on the proposed ordinance at tomorrow’s meeting, they will not be voting on it. The vote will be taken at the following meeting, on September 14, but only after getting more public input at that meeting.
The proposed ordinance will ban guns in Town buildings, parks, recreation and community centers, and at “official town sponsored events.” The latter is not nearly as broad as some other NoVA localities, such as Fairfax County, which designates any event that is permitted or should have been permitted.
Herndon appears to be taking the Newport News approach of basically banning open carry. CHP holders carrying concealed are exempted from the ordinance completely.
While Herndon’s proposed ordinance is less egregious than other ordinances adopted in NoVA, it is still a solution in search of a problem. It infringes on those peaceful citizens who do not want, or need, a CHP. Also, just because there is a CHP exemption in the proposed ordinance doesn’t mean it would be in the final ordinance.
BTW, the proposal includes some options on security, which if fully implemented would cost almost $3 million initially and $750,000 each year to run! All for a town that hasn’t had any issues.
Link to agenda
Link to Staff report
Link to draft ordinance
Link to impact assessment
Many thanks to the VCDL Herndon Watch Team for Local Government for keeping an eye on this issue.

ACTION ITEMS

1. We need to contact Town Council in opposition to the proposed ordinance. Comments can be submitted to: [email protected]
    Sample Subject: Oppose proposed Ordinance 21-O-10

Sample Comment:

I urge Town Council to OPPOSE proposed ordinance 21-O-10, which unnecessarily restricts the right of self-defense in certain public areas.
  2. If you live in or near Herndon, attend and speak at tomorrow night’s hearing (Item #4 on the agenda). I cannot find anything on the Herndon website about having to register to speak. They are closed today, so I can’t verify.
The meeting, which starts at 7pm, is being held at a different location than usual:
Herndon Community Center
814 Ferndale Ave.
Community Room 1
Herndon, VA

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #699 · (Edited)
News. Note U.N. Arms Treaty info, #7.

CDC declares Gun Violence a serious public health threat. Beware the coming rules. See #10.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. Update on Herndon and Action Item
2. Volunteers needed: Fishersville Gun Show on September 11 and 12
3. Volunteers needed: Hampton Gun Show on September 11 and 12
4. For most VCDL members it is time to renew!
5. Volunteers needed: Green Top Outdoor Expo on October 2 and 3
6. VCDL Membership Meeting in Winchester on October 7!
7. Biden signs U.N. Arms Treaty, but the Senate must ratify it
8. Why gun controllers want the “No Fly List” to be used to disarm gun owners
9. VCDL to have a table at bowling pin shoot in Louisa County on October 9
10. Déjà vu all over again: CDC claiming misuse of firearms a “serious public health threat”
11. John Lott talking about gun control myths on C-SPAN [VIDEO]

1. Update on Herndon and Action Item

I attended the Herndon Town Council meeting last night, along with three other VCDL members. While it was described as a “hearing” in the agenda, no public input was taken. However, the Town Council spent quite a long time discussing the proposed ordinance. The minimum cost to implement the ordinance is $16,000 for signage. Pricing for various levels of security, should council choose to implement it, could run into millions of dollars.
Having signs all around parks was something that one council member didn’t like for aesthetic reasons (and she’s right that it will not be pretty). They would have to do that, since people could enter the parks from pretty much anywhere.
The police chief pointed out that the signs would only prevent good people from carrying and not do anything to stop criminals. For dissuading criminals, she said, council would have to implement the much more expensive option of increasing security.
They will have a public hearing next Tuesday, September 14, and may vote on the issue then.

My reading of the tea leaves
This is not as easy a reading as many of them have been in NoVA.
The board seemed genuinely concerned about costs and effectiveness of the ordinance.
Like Newport News, they don’t like open carry because it makes some people “uncomfortable.” Sigh. There was a time when some people were uncomfortable with black people sitting in the front of a bus, but we got passed that.
The exemption for CHP holders in the ordinance seemed to be a non-issue. I’d say if we cannot persuade the council that the ordinance and the associated expenses are an unnecessary infringement on our rights, that the CHP exemption will be in the final ordinance language, making it far less egregious than the equivalent ordinances passed by other NoVA localities.

Action Item
If you haven’t yet emailed your comments to the Town Clerk in opposition to the ordinance, you can do so by sending an email to: [email protected]
In your email, urge Town Council to oppose proposed Ordinance 21-O-10. The ordinance will not affect criminals unless millions of dollars are spent on security upgrades. Herndon has a very low crime rate, so there is no real justification for the expense, or the restrictions on the rights of people who are not criminals. The ordinance will disproportionally affect the safety of women. Having “No guns” signs everywhere will also change the aesthetics of the Town, implying, incorrectly, that Herndon is not a safe place to live or visit.

2. Volunteers needed: Fishersville Gun Show on September 11 and 12

VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
FISHERSVILLE GUN SHOW
Want to get involved? Want to be active in the fight to defend your right to defend yourself, your family and your community? Volunteer a few hours working with VCDL at a gun show.
New member volunteers and first-timers are very welcome. There are experienced volunteers on every shift to help you.
We need member-volunteers to work at the VCDL table at the Fishersville Gun Show Sept 11-12, 2021held at:
Augusta Expo Center
277 Expo Rd
Fishersville, VA

Gun shows are casual, fun events. You would be doing important work promoting your VCDL and what we do to protect and defend our Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Admission is free. Parking is free. Many vendors offer discounts to VCDL volunteers.
Volunteers are needed to help during these shifts:
Saturday, Sept 11 Afternoon shift: 1:00pm –5:00pm
Sunday, Sept 12 Morning shift: 10am –1:30pm
Sunday, Sept 12 Afternoon shift: 1:30pm –5:00pm

For information and to sign-up to help:
CONTACT JIM KIZER at: [email protected]
Volunteer positions will be filled first-come-first-served.
All volunteers must be current VCDL members.

3. Volunteers needed: Hampton Gun Show on September 11 and 12

Hello VCDL members in the Hampton Roads / Tidewater area, I hope all is going well for each of you. There will be a gun show in the Hampton Convention Center on September 11 & 12, 2021. Anyone wishing to volunteer for a shift at the table should reply to me at: [email protected] and let me know which shift and which day they are available to volunteer for. No experience necessary! Just come out and have some fun talking to people about the VCDL. Thank you to those that have volunteered, we still need a few more volunteers...

Shift Schedule:

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 11TH
PM (1pm-5pm) (1 volunteer needed)

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH
AM (10am-1:30pm) (2 volunteers needed)
PM (1:30pm-4pm) (2 volunteers needed)

Thanks in advance to all who help out! We cannot be effective without you.

Bryan Dunn
Hampton Gun Show coordinator

4. For most VCDL members it is time to renew!

IT'S RENEWAL SEASON!
Most VCDL members are up for renewal on October 1. You will save VCDL money and time if you go online and renew your membership prior to the expiration date.
You should have received an email notice at the beginning of the month with instructions on how to renew. There are some important changes you should be aware of.
First, if you haven't logged into VCDL.org since the end of March, you will need to reset your password. We've moved to a new web host, and while your personal information transferred over, the passwords did not. You will also notice that you have yet another new membership number. We've kept track of the previous number(s) so we still have those records, but the new system automatically assigns numbers. We're sorry for the inconvenience.
The next thing you need to be aware of is that if you were on the auto-renewal program you will need to reestablish the link. For security reason your payment information did not transport over to our new system. This applies to any automatic donations as well.
Finally, you may notice that we now have family memberships. If you have family members that live in the same household with you and you want to add them to your membership you can do so for an additional $15.00 per person. Your membership would still be $25.00 per year. Only one issue of The Defender will be mailed to the household. Full details can be found on our website. If the family member you want to add is already a VCDL member, please contact: [email protected] for assistance.
Thank you all for your continued support! You make it possible for VCDL to continue defending your right to defend yourself.

5. Volunteers needed: Green Top Outdoor Expo on October 2 and 3

Request for Volunteers
There are a few open volunteer positions for the VCDL table at the Green Top Outdoor Expo on Saturday, October 2 and Sunday, October 3. The following positions are available:
Saturday, October 2 has one (1) position available for each shift: 8:00am-11:00am, 11:00am-3:00pm, 3:00pm-7:00pm
Sunday, October 3 has two (2) positions available for this shift: 1:30pm-6:00pm
Whether you are an experienced or first-time volunteer, you are welcome to participate in this important opportunity. Send your interest to Rowley Molina at[email protected].
[This is a huge expo – PVC]

6. VCDL Membership Meeting in Winchester on October 7!

VCDL will have a supper meeting in the Winchester area on Thursday, October 2, at 7 pm. For those wishing to have a meal before the meeting, please arrive by 5:45 to 6 pm.

4305 Middle Road
Winchester, VA 22602

We will be discussing current events, VCDL’s lawsuits, and much more.
Thanks to Bob Ryan and Susan Schlick for setting up the meeting!

7. Biden signs U.N. Arms Treaty, but the Senate must ratify it

The U.N. Arms Treaty has some really bad juju for gun owners and Biden is going to sign it. The good news is that doesn’t mean a thing if it is not ratified by the U.S. Senate. Obama signed that treaty, too, but it never got ratified.
Some coverage by Jared with Guns & Gadgets [VIDEO]:

More coverage by Braden with Langley Outdoors Academy [VIDEO]:

8. Why gun controllers want the “No Fly List” to be used to disarm gun owners

You can be on the “No Fly” list and not have been convicted of anything. That’s why the gun-controllers want anyone on that list to be unable to buy a gun. If they put all unvaccinated people on that list to keep them from flying, for example, that would also mean those same people couldn’t buy a gun! The infringement possibilities are endless. Death by a thousand cuts.
FBI abuses ‘no-fly list’ to infringe on Second Amendment rights

9. VCDL to have a table at bowling pin shoot in Louisa County on October 9

VCDL will have a table at a bowling pin shoot in Louisa that benefits charities on Saturday, October 9. VCDL members Brandy and Todd Polanowski will be running the table.
I try to make as many of these fun and charitable shoots as I can. They are open to everyone.

Louisa, VA 23093

Times:
Shooters meeting: 9 am
Shoot starts at: 10 am

For more information, contact Jim Scites at (703) 498-0607 before 9 pm.

10. Déjà vu all over again: CDC claiming misuse of firearms a “serious public health threat”

The gun grabbers are trying to get our guns anyway they can. This is not a new trick, but a fairly old one, where they get the CDC to ignore actual health issues to declare the misuse of guns as a “public health crisis.”
If there is a health crisis, it’s a mental-health crisis within the CDC for thinking about guns as a disease. Guns are not a disease. If they are anything, they are a vaccine against the deadly scourge of violent criminals.
Paging Dr. Walensky: The Gun Industry Has Lots of Ideas About Firearm Safety and Keeping Guns Out Of Criminals' Hands - The Truth About Guns

11. John Lott talking about gun control myths on C-SPAN [VIDEO]

I always recommend watching John Lott speak – he has a wealth of great information and statistics on guns.
<em>Gun Control Myths</em>!

(804) 639-0600
Website

·
Man of Myth and Legend
19,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #700 ·
Note #2, Military Court says bump stocks are not machine guns.

#9 and #15 are also interesting and thought worthy.

Expand or View in browser, your choice but worth it.

Nemo

VA-ALERT

1. Clarification on date of VCDL membership meeting in Winchester
2. U.S. military courts rule that bump stocks are NOT a machine gun
3. Suicide prevention program “Hold My Guns”
4. Did you miss the video on the Aflac offering to VCDL members?
5. VCDL virtual membership meeting on Thursday, September 16
6. VCDL membership meeting in Loudoun County on Wednesday, September 22
7. Article on Herndon hearing on proposed gun ban
8. Survey grades for statewide and House of Delegates candidates
9. FBI Active Shooter report for 2020 – interesting info
10. Chipman pulled as nominee for BATFE, but we’re not done with him yet
11. [TX] Robber learns the hard way about Texas’s new Constitutional Carry law
12. Article: AR-15s are why leftists can’t commit Taliban atrocities here
13. The CDC’s forever war on gun owners
14. Supreme Court considering case to render Red Flag laws unconstitutional
15. Just because you have a gun and have shot a bad guy doesn’t mean the fight is over

1. Clarification on date of VCDL membership meeting in Winchester

I had a typo in the last alert on the upcoming VCDL membership meeting in Winchester. The correct date is Thursday, October 7, and it is open to the public.
Time: 7pm, but get there at 5:45 to 6 pm if you wish to eat dinner.
4305 Middle Road
Winchester, VA 22602

We will be discussing current events, VCDL’s lawsuits, and much more.
Thanks to Bob Ryan and Susan Schlick for setting up the meeting!

2. U.S. military courts rule that bump stocks are NOT a machine gun

VCDL and GOA have a lawsuit in federal court over the bump stock ban. Looks like a military court agrees with us that bump stocks are NOT machine guns:
US Military Courts Rules Bump Stocks Are Not Machine Guns

3. Suicide prevention program “Hold My Guns”

This was sent to me by Dick Heller. The issue of suicide prevention is something that has been on VCDL leadership’s radar for a while. Guns are a major tool misused to commit suicide.
There is no certainly no guaranteed way to stop a suicidal person, especially if the person is absolutely bent on dying, but there are some things that can be done, temporarily, in many cases until a person’s crisis is over.
Red Flag laws were created by gun controllers to forcibly confiscate guns and provide zero help to a person in crisis. Hold My Guns is an organization, created by a gun owner, that provides a way for a person in crisis to voluntarily and temporarilyturn their guns over to certain vetted, local gun-stores for safe keeping. The trouble is that Hold My Guns is just starting and doesn’t have any gun stores in Virginia as part of their network.
But the video, below, provides some ideas that can be shared with fellow gun owners should they find themselves in a crisis.
Two easy things that can be done for starters:
1) Guns can be temporarily given to a friend or a family member to hold or
2) Guns can be disassembled and a key, but non-serialized, part can be given to someone to hold, such as a firing pin, a bolt, or a barrel. Such items would take up very little space at someone else’s home, while rendering the firearm temporarily inoperable even though the owner maintains possession of the main part of the gun.
If a fellow gun owner is in crisis (and unfortunately you are not always going to know), give them a shoulder to lean on to help them through.
Video Conferencing, Web Conferencing, Webinars, Screen Sharing

4. Did you miss the video on the Aflac offering to VCDL members?

Aflac now offers their services to members of the VCDL for rates lower than available to the general public. Watch this informative, 20-minute video where VCDL member and AFLAC representative Sarah Max answers general questions about the offering in a discussion with Ed Levine, the VCDL Social Media Director.

5. VCDL virtual membership meeting on Thursday, September 16

The monthly VCDL virtual membership meeting is coming up this Thursday, September 16, at 8pm on the VCDL YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=virginia+citizens+defense+league

6. VCDL membership meeting in Loudoun County on Wednesday, September 22

VCDL is having a membership meeting on Wednesday, September 22, at:
The Bungalow Lakehouse
46116 Lake Center Plaza
Sterling, VA 20165

If you plan on eating, please come between 6:30pm and 7:00pm and the meeting will begin at 8pm.

7. Article on Herndon hearing on proposed gun ban

Coming up on Tuesday, September 14
Herndon Gun Ban Public Hearing Set For Tuesday Council Meeting

8. Survey grades for statewide and House of Delegates candidates

The General Election is Tuesday, November 2, 2021 -- a little over 7 weeks from today.

VCDL has surveyed all the candidates running for the Statewide offices (Governor, Lt Governor, and Attorney General) and those running for the House of Delegates.

Unfortunately, many have NOT answered the VCDL 2021 Candidate Surveys.

The survey questions can be found at:

It's important to note that this qualitative assessment describes HOW THE CANDIDATE ANSWERED THE SURVEY, and is NOT an overall assessment of the candidate.
Please contact all of the Statewide candidates (Governor, Lt Governor, and Attorney General). Thank those who have answered the survey and politely, but firmly, urge those who have not answered to complete the VCDL survey and send it in immediately.

Please contact all the House of Delegates candidates in YOUR district who have not answered the VCDL 2021 General Assembly Candidate Survey and politely, but firmly, insist that they complete the VCDL survey and send it in immediately. If they have misplaced their survey, they can download a copy at: https://vcdl.org/resource/resmgr/pdf/ga-candidate-survey-2021.pdf

If one or more of the candidates in your district answered the VCDL survey, please contact them and thank them for returning the survey, especially if they responded "Very Pro-Gun".

Not sure what District you're in? You can find out at: http://whosmy.virginiageneralassembly.gov/

If any of the candidates are afraid to take a public stand on these issues now, BEFORE the election, then they are unlikely to be very responsive to your views AFTER the election.

Failure to return a completed survey frequently indicates indifference, if not outright hostility, toward the Right to Keep and Bear Arms.

Thanks for your help!

9. FBI Active Shooter report for 2020 – interesting info

Active shooter incidents increased significantly in 2020, having been fairly flat for 3 years. Think defund the police, restricting police from enforcing the law, putting more restrictions on people being able to defend themselves, releasing criminals from prison early, etc.
Casualties (deaths and wounded) were down considerably from 2019. Two of the murderers were killed by armed citizens. Four were killed by law enforcement. Seven committed suicide.
Virginia didn’t have any incidents, while the communist gun-control states didn’t fare so well: California had SIX incidents, leading the nation. Illinois had FIVE, putting it in second place. New York had TWO.
Active Shooter Incidents in the United States in 2020 | Federal Bureau of Investigation

10. Chipman pulled as nominee for BATFE, but we’re not done with him yet

In a victory for gun owners, Michael Chipman’s nomination to head the BATFE has been withdrawn!
However, Biden is looking for another place to put him (Hmm. Well, Joe, you could put him up… ah, never mind).
I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Chipman isn’t the new “Gun Violence” Czar that Biden wants to have in his cabinet.

11. [TX] Robber learns the hard way about Texas’s new Constitutional Carry law

Armed robber shot in face by armed victim in Texas just days after permitless carry begins

12. Article: AR-15s are why leftists can’t commit Taliban atrocities here

AR-15s Are Why Leftists Can’t Commit Taliban Atrocities Here

13. The CDC’s forever war on gun owners

The CDC’s forever war on gun owners | Washington Examiner

14. Supreme Court considering case to render Red Flag laws unconstitutional

Fingers crossed!
Supreme Court Considering Case To Render Red Flag Laws Unconstitutional

15. Just because you have a gun and have shot a bad guy doesn’t mean the fight is over

Tense footage of a shootout between two Florida deputies and a violent felon.
One of the deputies is shot, as is the bad guy, but the bad guy continues his attack while limping around on a bad leg. The police officers stay in the fight, too.
But with the diminisher peripheral vision that comes on during such an intense fight and one deputy being wounded, the deputies lost track of the bad guy’s location. Bad guy comes up behind the deputies around the back of their car. Luckily the bad guy’s gun was either jammed or out of ammunition, so he proceeded to beat down the already wounded deputy with his inoperable gun.
The unhurt deputy then empties his magazine into the bad guy, stopping the fight once and for all. Wounded deputy survived.
The morals are:
1) even if you are wounded, STAY IN THE FIGHT UNTIL YOU ARE VICTORIOUS
2) don’t count on the bad guy giving up his attack even though he has been shot one or more times
3) life and death fights are fast and extremely violent, be prepared for that and be as violent as you need to be to survive
4) under extreme stress you lose your peripheral vision, so move your head to see the area around you.
Dashcam Footage Shows Florida Deputies Ambushed During Traffic Stop - ItemFix

(804) 639-0600
Website
: www.vcd

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
681 - 700 of 877 Posts