Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to Replacing 98 ford f150 AC compressor

Anybody done this before?
What do i need in addition to a compressor?
I see kits and accumulators O rings and PAG oil
Not sure what all is needed

Also is there a brand or store that's recommended to buy from?
I see universal and global brands. New and re manufactured ones

Thanks

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,649 Posts
Assuming the old compressor went bad, you'll definitely need the accumulator. There's also usually an orifice somewhere in the line that has a small screen in it - you'll need to replace that. (The assumption is that if the old compressor goes bad, the system has microscopic particles of metal in it.) New O-rings and the PAG oil, as well as the refrigerant.

And you'll need a vacuum pump so you can pull a vacuum on the system for charging.

I did this on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD, and honestly I didn't save that much as opposed to just taking it to an AC repair shop. I just like doing things myself, and we have a vacuum pump, so...I did it myself.

I think I saved maybe $200 or $250 by doing it myself. I'm getting to the point in my life where spending an entire weekend day doing something like that isn't worth saving a couple of hundred bucks to me.

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,819 Posts
You need to flush they system, replace the dryer, replace the orifice tube as stated above. Pull a deep vacuum then replace the r134a along with the oil for the system etc

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,140 Posts
Rockauto is an excellent place. Had to replace the compressor and such on a 98 Camaro. Local parts stores wanted $300 or so, IIRC from about 5 years back. Rock auto got me all I needed to my door for about $175. Good quality parts that fit and worked.

Nemo

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So cost wise
compressor kits seem to run about 200.00 or less
How much is freon cost approximatley?

Quotes from mechanics i'm getting are between 825 and 900.00

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've bought a complete kit several times on ebay. Cheapest place and has everything you need in one box, including oil. Warrantied but I've never had to warranty one.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I've done a 96 F150. Make sure you flush the lines, evaporator and condenser coils. Not that difficult of a job.

·
69,784 Posts
I've done it before, but it never worked as well as the original.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts