Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that the effort to keep Obamacare and amend it has failed, Republicans are holding a vote next week on whether to move ahead with simply repealing Obamacare. It looks like this effort will fail, too, as two who previously voted for repeal (when they knew their votes meant nothing because the President at that time would simply veto if the effort passed) now say they will not vote to repeal.

My question is whether this is an actual vote to repeal all of Obamacare, or a selective repeal of only portions of Obamacare.

Does anybody know?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
I don't think even the Republicans know the answer to that. At this point I would say it is irrelevant anyway as the Senate seems unable (well, unwilling at least) to do anything. They don't seem to know (or care) that people will hold them responsible when Obamacare fails as they had the ability to fix it and didn't. Or, maybe this was the strategy all along; they don't want Obamacare at all and know that it would be political suicide to take it away, so they hope it is less suicidal to let it fail....

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
know that it would be political suicide to take it away, so they hope it is less suicidal to let it fail....
But it won't just "fail." It will just keep getting worse and worse and we will still be stuck with it no matter how bad it gets. Failing does not mean it just goes away with Congress taking no action.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
But it won't just "fail." It will just keep getting worse and worse and we will still be stuck with it no matter how bad it gets. Failing does not mean it just goes away with Congress taking no action.
Not everyone. The people getting it for free wont notice a change and those seem to be who everyone is pandering to anyways.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Can't really repeal ALL of Obamacare. It has tentacles into all sorts of NON-healthcare stuff.

Note that the owner of CRTV conservative internet video station (Mark Levin, etc) made a billion dollars on student loans. Obamacare killed his business. Now he is funding efforts to kill Obamacare.

The thousands of pages of confusing law (written over the years by all sorts of special interests) and those that allow regulatory agencies to make up rules are pretty much undecipherable.

Congress folks and their staffs were not about to try to even read it much less understand it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
But, but, but...I thought Trump was making America great again and fulfilling his gimmick campain promises.

On a serious note, I do realize that he alone cannot make this happen. It is a complicated and difficult task. But promising such was most definitely a gimmick pitch. Regarding his gimmicks, I did not fall for any of it, when I voted against the Hildabeast witch.

·
Swollen Member
11,969 Posts
Relax. This is just Trump's 'walk away' strategy from Art of the Deal. In the end, they will institute a plan to at least roll back part of Obamacare. It will happen as sure as the Sun rises.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,525 Posts
They CAN repeal Obamacare. All of it. No excuses.

They just don't WANT to do that.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Sure "they" can. But many of "they", the right and left, have things in it they like.

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They CAN repeal Obamacare. All of it. No excuses.

They just don't WANT to do that.
Has anybody seen a summary of the bill they are voting on whether to move forward next week? Does it actually do that?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
ZERO Republicans voted for Obamacare, so they can claim they had nothing to do with it. If they change it in any way, ,any way at all, all problems will be blamed on them by the Left, which includes the media. If you think the crap the media is doing now is bad, just wait for the Republicans to "RUIN" Obamacare.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
ZERO Republicans voted for Obamacare, so they can claim they had nothing to do with it. If they change it in any way, ,any way at all, all problems will be blamed on them by the Left, which includes the media. If you think the crap the media is doing now is bad, just wait for the Republicans to "RUIN" Obamacare.
That is already happening. They already are claiming that it is failing because
A. Repub governors didnt setup exchanges in many states.

B. Because trump stopped enforcing the mandate.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
That is already happening. They already are claiming that it is failing because
A. Repub governors didnt setup exchanges in many states.

B. Because trump stopped enforcing the mandate.
Yes, hopefully the discussion will return to the actual causes of the problems. I linked two articles that cover some very important points that get zero coverage in the media, WH or congress. They are starting to pick up on social media, but they need more momentum. Denninger (the first link), who was actively involved in the Libertarian Party in Florida for a while, claims to have spoken to some in the inner circles of Washington and they are well aware of the real issues, but refuse to bring them up publicly. Until the people wake up, the lobby dollars will keep it broken.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Yes, hopefully the discussion will return to the actual causes of the problems. I linked two articles that cover some very important points that get zero coverage in the media, WH or congress. They are starting to pick up on social media, but they need more momentum. Denninger (the first link), who was actively involved in the Libertarian Party in Florida for a while, claims to have spoken to some in the inner circles of Washington and they are well aware of the real issues, but refuse to bring them up publicly. Until the people wake up, the lobby dollars will keep it broken.
The ZeroHedge article was very interesting.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
The ZeroHedge article was very interesting.
Yes, Obamacare is just the latest in a long series of regulatory causes of our extreme medical costs. The Mises/Zerohedge article was a much better written article. Denninger has been writing about this for years and somewhat expects the reader to be at the same level of understanding and, I guess, passion for the subject.

No one in office wants to admit that government regulations have created this nightmare, especially the history Mises points out, and then tell us just one more law will fix it. Where have we heard that before?

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
What else could congress or the WH do in addition to "repeal"? Turns out quite a bit.

The Myth of Drug Expiration Dates

It turns out that the FDA, the agency that helps set the dates, has long known the shelf life of some drugs can be extended, sometimes by years.
In fact, the federal government has saved a fortune by doing this.
For decades, the federal government has stockpiled massive stashes of medication, antidotes and vaccines in secure locations throughout the country. The drugs are worth tens of billions of dollars and would provide a first line of defense in case of a large-scale emergency.

Maintaining these stockpiles is expensive. The drugs have to be kept secure and at the proper humidity and temperature so they don’t degrade. Luckily, the country has rarely needed to tap into many of the drugs, but this means they often reach their expiration dates. Though the government requires pharmacies to throw away expired drugs, it doesn’t always follow these instructions itself. Instead, for more than 30 years, it has pulled some medicines and tested their quality.

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
A big improvement to healthcare would be requiring published prices by hospitals, list price, and prices negotiated with insurance companies. Who could possibly be against this ? Oh, wait I know.

·
69,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, since nobody is answering the question, I listened to a Senator this morning who appears to have answered the question for me. Apparently, the bill is not final yet. There is a clean 2010 repeal bill, but many Republicans are trying to tack on a subsidy for health insurance companies, if I understood the Senator correctly. In other words, the bill may be a clean repeal bill, or it may not. They will have to wait and see the final form that is presented.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts