Repealed or Nonexistent Laws

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by GAfirearmsReference, Apr 1, 2017.

1. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

HELP ME THINK of MORE EXAMPLES like the following:

I'd like to come up with a list of "laws" that a lot of people think apply to gun carrying in Georgia. (These myths are not necessarily ones we, here at GeorgiaPacking, hold today, but many casual gun owners do. They're misinformed, or their information was once accurate but is now out-of-date.) These are misconceptions that many non-gunowners have, and maybe even a few carry permit holders.

LAWS GEORGIA "USED TO" HAVE, but NO LONGER:

1-- All publicly-owned or operated buildings are off-limits to carrying weapons, regardless of signage, security screening, or what goes in in those buildings.

2-- You can't carry in a bar, nightclub, or tavern.

3-- You can carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol, but you cannot drink any alcoholic beverages while armed.

4-- You must carry in a holster, and that holster must be at or above your waist. No ankle holsters or "boot carry" allowed.

5-- Any gun you carry must be listed on your pistol carry license. (You'd have to go back to the mid-1970s or prior for this to be the "current" law.)

6-- Schools have a 1000-foot "weapons free zone" around them.

7-- You cannot carry a loaded long gun in your vehicle for self-defense (because this is how poachers drive around while looking for deer). (This prohibition DOES EXIST for Wildlife Management Areas and other public hunting lands. But there's a new exception in the law for handguns possessed by a GWL holder.)

8-- MARTA and other public bus and commuter rail systems are off-limits to firearms, even for permit holders. (Not anymore, for GWL holders. Not under Georgia law, anyway. As for weapons on Amtrak and Greyhound, there are federal laws and company policies that forbid or restrict guns).

9-- You cannot carry where groups of people gather-- movie theaters, auctions, parades, festivals, sporting events, church revivals, etc.

10-- There is one standard for the lawful use of deadly force in defense of self or others,and it applies the same everywhere. At home, or on the street. Incidents at any location will all be legally analyzed the same way.

******* That's all I can think of, off the top of my head. Can you think of other examples of now-repealed laws that used to be on the books, and were significant restrictions on our carry rights? **************

LAWS THAT "OTHER STATES" MAY HAVE, but NOT here in GEORGIA:

(A) -- You can't carry hollow-point ammo, or any ammunition marked "law enforcement use only."

(B) -- You must take a class on firearms usage and pass a shooting test in order to get a carry permit.

(C) -- Pistol licenses are issued at the discretion of the licensing official, who can deny it for any reason he or she sees fit. It's a "may issue" standard, not "shall issue."

(D) -- You cannot carry loaded long guns (rifles or shotguns) out in public, when you're not actually hunting at the shooting range. (some states without a specific gun laws may still have a "disorderly conduct" or "disturbing the peace" type law that covers this.)

(E) -- You cannot have guns in parks or recreation areas.

(F) -- You cannot carry in banks. (This is not a federal law, and there is no rule or policy by the FDIC insurance program either).

(G) -- Hospitals are off-limits locations. (Maybe in Missouri and a few other places, but this is not common.)

(H) --Cities and Counties are free to pass stricter gun laws than the State itself, and everybody is legally presumed to know every local weapons ordinance in every village, town, city, or county they visit or pass through.

(I) -- It's OK to carry at any K-12 school if you have a carry permit issued by that same state where the school is located. (This is what the federal school weapons law says, although many states (like Georgia) have chosen to impose more restrictions that even apply to permit holders).

(J) -- You cannot say that shooting your attacker was "necessary" if you did not seriously consider retreating, because using deadly force has to be the last thing to do when all other attempts at non-violence have failed.
    (If this is actually a law in the Code books of some state, I'm not aware of it, but this is how many liberal / progressive-thinking judges want the law to be. Obama's Attorney General said that this is the common law with a long and respected history, prior to so many states passing "Stand Your Ground" and "Castle Doctrine" bills.)

***** So, is that all? Can you think of more gun laws that other people in other states have to deal with, but not us in Georgia? The kind of laws that some people IN Georgia wrongly think apply here? ******

2. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

I have had people tell me you have to take a class in GA to carry. I've also had someone tell me that HP ammo is illegal. Not sure how common the second is but there are actually a couple companies that I consider marginally ethical that clearly imply in their literature the former in order to sell their classes.

3. Feral

Feral Active Member

The most common thing I hear at booths is people believe open carry of a pistol is legal in Georgia without a license, and that you need a "conceal carry" permit to carry concealed.

I have to tell them it's actually a Georgia Weapons License and it is needed for all methods of carry.

4. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Well-Known Member

Some former Californians thought they had to carry in Georgia without a loaded chamber because of CA's stupid former law about open carry, I believe. I guess they just assumed that was normal all over the country.

One time while at Sumac Creek Range, a woman from somewhere in northwest Georgia (Murray county maybe(?)) was adamant that her local municipality could ban open carry. I tried to explain that harassing open carriers by the local LEO was a possibility, but the State preempted any such laws to that effect. She wouldn't believe me.

5. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

How about "guns must be registered" or it's an "illegal gun."

6. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

- You cannot carry more than one loaded gun
    - You cannot have a loaded handgun concealed in your car. It must be in the open.

I'll have to get my co-worker to enlighten me with some more of his vast knowledge of all things, then see if I can add to the list. He has told me at least 3/4 of your list in recent months. I used to try to debate with him. Now I just tell him to show me the law that he is referencing. That always ends up with him just telling me that he personally knows all of the officers or deputies on whichever LEA has jurisdiction over the topic/ location at hand and that is how they all apply the law. When I hear him "enlightening" other co-workers, I'll usually go behind him and actually show them the law and not to listen to know-it-all. I tell them his advice may get them arrested.

7. Feral

Feral Active Member

That's one I forgot but it is mentioned frequently. A lot of people think their guns are registered.

8. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

How about the ones where its illegal to brandish/wave around a firearm.

9. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

If they bought them through an FFL they are.

10. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

It used to be an offense to discharge a firearm on Sunday.

A car is wrongly believed to be an "extension of your home".

You can only openly carry if you're going to/from a range.

11. DonT

DonT Deplorable bitter clinger.

What? Buying a gun from an FFL means that the purchased firearm has been transferred from the FFL to the private individual. There is no registration as part of the transaction.

12. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Err, no, they aren't in any way 'registered' when purchasing through an FFL.

When calling the FBI NICS hotline, the only thing they ask about the purchaser is his identification, (Items 1-10 on the Form 4473. For the firearm itself they only want to know if its a handgun, long gun or other (Item 16).

Unless there is in inquiry, the 4473 will never be seen by the ATF until either the FFL closes shop or 20 years have passed.

13. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Technically, this is the law in FL. FS 790.25(3).

14. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Here are some examples of other states' asurd laws:

I believe NOrth Carolina has or used to have a purchase permit requirement. You have to go to the local LEO and ask permission to purchase a gun. They may deny it for any reason. Illinois and New York are similar.

You have to pass a background check for purchasing ammo. (Being pushed hard in blue states).

You cannot remove ammunition from the range. (California).

You can only purchase a limited number of guns per month.

15. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Va had a "one gun a month" handgun law. It was repealed about 4-5 years ago.

Nemo

16. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

I used to believe that too. Then we entered what could broadly be described as the Snowden Era. As far as I'm concerned, going through an FFL is effective registration even if the feds/nsa/cia/chef boyardee won't publicly own up to it.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

18. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Airports are definitely off limits

19. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Banks are off limits.

20. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

Counter guy at Bullseye, Lawrenceville, told me the ATF changed their FFL number. That made it "FFL out of business" and came to pick up all their boxes of 4473s.