Rep Report card updated

Discussion in 'Previous Bills' started by Gunstar1, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

The 3 with the worst voting records for firearm issues are:

District: 19
    Glenn Richardson (R)
    Grade: DNV
    House Rules do not allow the Speaker of the House to Vote

District: 59
    Douglas Dean (D)
    Grade: D
    Skipped Vote on SB 175, Skipped Vote on SB 259, Voted Against HB 1032

District: 65
    Sharon Beasley-Teague (D)
    Grade: F
    Cosponsored HB 544, Voted Against SB 175, Skipped Vote on HB 1032

These are the only Reps out of 180 that have not voted to pass ANY pro-gun bills in 05 or 06.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That is scary, since the first one is the house majority leader . . .

He is Speaker of the House!

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

All I know is he has not bothered to vote. :(

I was giving those that skipped a vote a free pass. With HB 1032 I noticed a pattern. The reps that vote No to most pro gun legislation also like to skip votes. So I went back and filled in all skipped votes as a no vote.

Those reps that were not there to vote at all that day ("excused" on the vote list) are not counted.

4. thebugman

thebugman New Member

I agree.

If they ain't fo us they aggin us. (Best redneck imitation) :D

Seriously though, the leader of the Republican party needs to step up, although I don't really see gun rights as a partisan issue. On second thought, does the Speaker vote if there is no need? Is it just gun issues, or is he not voting on all issues, except in a situation were his vote would make a difference?

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Good question. I wondered that myself since the 3 votes he skipped all passed with about 75% or better voting Yes.

6. thebugman

thebugman New Member

It just seems odd the more I think about it that he would risk his position by not voting if was supposed to be.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Perhaps we will know soon enough.

8. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I did a quick look at the vote record of some of the bills passed this year and he has not voted in any of them.

I will update it to a DNV

9. Malum Prohibitum

I suspected the House rules prevented his vote, but I wanted confirmation before I speculated here. My suspicion was correct. Please be advised that when given the opportunity to clarify his rating, the Speaker gave the following response (he was informed the response would be made public and thus consented to having this posted):

"Under House rules, I am allowed to vote in very limited situations, none of which occured on the three bills you outlined."

So, in sum, I do not think the low rating given to him is justified on the basis of DNV, since his position as Speaker of the House prevents his voting except in limited circumstances.

10. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I updated his grade to a DNV, and will add the speaker of the house part.

I am still debating keeping the D he got last session 03-04 for not wanting to engross HB 1741.
    Or just remove the previous session all together from the grades as the only rep vote of that session was to engross HB1741. Everything else was for sponsoring bills.