Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton on DC Gun Ban

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Malum Prohibitum, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I think she is caught by surprise when people applaud the death of the gun ban, so, what does she do?

The look on her face is classic. But then she gets angry, tells her constituents they "look strange," and tells them to "pipe down!"

Yeah, she respects "the people."

http://www.humanevents.com/rightangle/i ... to_the_nra

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That woman is SOOOOOO out of touch with reality and her constiuents.

3. rajl

rajl New Member

While interesting, it's a non-event. The entire video was misquoted at best, and misrepresented out of context at worst.

I hear her talk about the NRA, and then I hear people cheer. I can't tell if they're cheering in agreement or disagreement. She then makes a joke about how old she is, and doesn't recognize all the faces anymore. Is that because she's old or because she's out of touch with her constituents? She then tells the crowd to pipe down. Is that because she wants to continue with her speech that they are interrupting or because she is putting her inferiors in their place? From her tone of voice, I can't tell.

I love guns, hate gun-control (I'd toss the NFA if I could), but think this video clip seems to have been selectively quoted for propaganda value. It's kinda like when you use ellipsis dots in a high school paper to bend the words of someone else to support your position.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Of course it is selectively quoted for propaganda value! :roll: Did you really expect them to show the whole video? An hour of it?

When you get some information to support your naked assertions of "misquoting" and "out of context," though, let us know.

In the meantime, I will enjoy it for what I saw on the video, not what Wayne Lapierre said about it.

Here is what I saw:

A politician talks about something she wants to denigrate, but the people cheer, she looks completely surprised and off guard.

What is her response? To comment on her constituents: Whether it is because she is "old" or not is besides the point, in reality it sounded to me like she was saying they look strange because they must not be her constitutents, "I have been in Congress a long time, and you people look strange to me," is my paraphrase, and I think this is simply an extension of her earlier surprise so betrayed in her facial expression.

Then, she tells them to pipe down. If that is because she wants to continue her speech, after unexpected cheering for something she opposes, well, that is STILL downright disrespectful to the audience. A thoughtful politician would have immediatedly stated that she is surprised by the response and would like to hear more on this issue in the future.

Then at least she could claim that only the gun control people overwhelmingly talked to her later . . .

Note that until the last sentence I do not mention what is the issue. That is because it does not matter. She was on the wrong side of the issue from the constituents, and she made it clear that she wanted to "go on with her speech" regardless of their views.

I would be offended were I in the audience no matter what issue was being presented.

Anyway, the video is priceless for the look on her face when the cheering starts.

5. Sharky

Sharky New Member

my goodness that was a good laugh this morning. What a priceless look on her face as if she was wronged or something.

6. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Hey Adam:

If she's so out of touch, how did she get elected and then re-elected nine times?

I don't disagree with you. She's definately out of touch with reality. Unfortunately, she apparently knows how to get votes! Shame on the voters in DC!

Of course, in our current system, incumbants rarely (as in almost never) fail to get re-elected.

7. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

You know what they say? It's not who you know.... .It's who you............

8. geaux_tigers

geaux_tigers Member

Shhhhh. I'm trying to work here! :)

Actually, I think all it really takes is for her constituents to be poorly informed about her platform or performance. Just look at what goes on here in GA. I would hope that if people represented by Roberta Abdul-Salaam knew how she shows up to committee meetings without having read the text of the bills before the committee or the code sections to which they relate, they might put someone else in her seat.

I don't hold the many of the same views as Ms. Abdul-Salaam, who can be counted on to vote against every bill we support, but if I did I would be pissed knowing how she conducts herself. I just happen to know about it because I have been able to see her in action. Actually, I think its damn hard these days to be properly informed with everything going on our busy lives. I wish I had time to observe everyone who represents me as they are in the process of doing so. Until then, all I've got are glossy little propaganda-grams they send out around election time and maybe a news story or two if I'm lucky.

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

A political analyst on TV said not too long ago that more people vote for what the candidate says than on their vote record. Probably because people have not bothered to look.

10. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Thats like my daddy always said, actions speak louder than words!